Any guess on age

Agree with 1930's. Here is a similar from that era:

201428075893.jpg

Search 'French spelter table lamp' to see more.

IMO that thing is hideous. There is some gawd awful stuff people thot was attractive back then. But I guess in 80 or 90 years someone will be saying that about my stuff...

Upvote 0
I think it was a newel post cover

Upvote 0
I think it was a newel post cover
The thought of it being a newel post lamp did occur to me. For those who don't know what that is...

Newel post lights are free-standing upright fixtures commonly mounted on the large starting post at the bottom of a staircase. They came into fashion in the mid-nineteenth century and remained popular until around 1930. In larger homes, they were often used at any point the stair turned or even along a stretch of railing in the upper stair hall, to supplement wall lighting and add a dramatic accent.

Newel post lights range from simple, single-light lamps to large multi-branch fixtures. In later Victorian times, newel lights were often quite sculptural, representing historical or mythological figures. Newel post lamps were found in all styles of houses, from Victorian to Mission, before eventually fading from popularity and necessity in the 1920s.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back