Any "assault rifle" owners in here?

I don't have anything that looks like that but, I do have a very nice set of ball peen hammers I could 'assault' someone with if it came to it. Does that count? Please don't rat me out. There not registered.
LOL! My crowbars are not registered either!

Depends on what is considered an assault rifle. I have several from a number of different years.
The first one is an original assault rifle from the 1780's, and would have been used by a militiaman. 1780 rifle.jpg
The second one is a assault rifle from the 1840's, an 1846 Mississippi rifle to be exact. 1840 rifle.jpg
The third one is an 1861 Springfield rifled musket with a bayonet. This particular gun is a Bridesburg contract musket. 1860 rifle.jpg
The fourth assault rifle is an 1871 Springfield with a trowel bayonet. The trowel bayonet saved Gibbon's butt at Big Hole, because they were able to dig in. The Nez Perce were kicking his butt, and his men had to either dig in or get shot up. 1870 rifle.jpg
My fifth assault rifle is a 1918 Springfield with bayonet. 1918 rifle.jpg
And my last assault rifle is an M1 Garand, with bayonet. This rifle was use in WWII and Korea, which is my era. 1945 rifle.jpg

I don't have the AR15, because I'm too old to appreciate that gun. I have nothing against them for you young whipper snappers, but to me they are Mattel toys. Don't give me any flak over that, if you like the AR 15 or any of the others of that style, which I might add that most of the guys at the American Legion Post I belong to they like them, so if you do also, go for it. I'm happy with what I have, and I'm happy for you if you want something different than my preferences. At one time I owned an SKS, but I gave it to my kid. I have a semi auto .22 long rifle, so didn't really have any desire for the SKS, although I found it accurate and enjoyed shooting it, it was about the same as the .22 auto, only the ammo was more expensive.

DROOL!!!! That is BEAUTIFUL! Wanna adopt me?

:headbang:

You aren't the only one with their eyes on that gun. By researching in Kindig's book, and it being a very plain rifle with no makers name, the patch box and pumpkin seed stock makes it look like a Wolmesdorf-Reading School, that was probably built during the revolution, by perhaps Wolfgang Haga or someone that apprenticed to him. The gun isn't as valuable as first glance would suggest. The stock has been extensively repaired and the barrel sleeved, and I shoot the gun. I didn't sleeve the barrel, it was already done when I purchased the rifle from an estate. Note that this is a legal assault rifle, being a single shot, and no bayonet or pistol grip, and unlike the semi auto AR15, it was probably actually used in combat.

Very nice pieces there Bosn:icon_thumright:

it was probably actually used in combat.

I wouldnt doubt it.Rifles were special things back then.Rifle companies were separate from the troops carrying muskets.

Depends on what is considered an assault rifle. View attachment 789892

An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between automatic, semi-automatic, and burst fire) most people think an ar-ak-mp are truely assault rifles but no they are not they only look the part

This is my buffalo assault rifle... .45-70 govt. that I hand load black powder cartridges for and shoot in competition... It is getting a period correct 10x long tube scope in a couple of weeks...

DSCN1106.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1106.jpg
    DSCN1106.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 88
You aren't the only one with their eyes on that gun. By researching in Kindig's book, and it being a very plain rifle with no makers name, the patch box and pumpkin seed stock makes it look like a Wolmesdorf-Reading School, that was probably built during the revolution, by perhaps Wolfgang Haga or someone that apprenticed to him. The gun isn't as valuable as first glance would suggest. The stock has been extensively repaired and the barrel sleeved, and I shoot the gun. I didn't sleeve the barrel, it was already done when I purchased the rifle from an estate. Note that this is a legal assault rifle, being a single shot, and no bayonet or pistol grip, and unlike the semi auto AR15, it was probably actually used in combat.

Nothing wrong with a 200+ year old gun that is STILL being loved like that. IF for some crazy reason you decide to part with her keep me in mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back