Another one from the 'hunted out' yard

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Weather was fair today for Michigan on the last day of November, so I went back to the stately old yard where I got the 1853 dime and the 1881 IHP last week. It is indeed pretty clean, but I can cover more ground with the Deus II 11" coil than I used to with the old detectors with their 8" coils. I was moving steadily across a large, clean area when the Deus rang up a solid 94 both ways. 2" deep was an 1876-S quarter in nice shape. The nearest iron was a foot away. I looked for it to see if the quarter had been masked. It was not. Previous hunters cleaned most of it, but they did not meticulously cover every inch.
1876SeatedQuarter11-30-23.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 45
You scored a real beauty. You got it right, if you cover every inch you will find the good stuff others miss. I’m a little green with envy, I’m still looking for my first seated quarter.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Weather was fair today for Michigan on the last day of November, so I went back to the stately old yard where I got the 1853 dime and the 1881 IHP last week. It is indeed pretty clean, but I can cover more ground with the Deus II 11" coil than I used to with the old detectors with their 8" coils. I was moving steadily across a large, clean area when the Deus rang up a solid 94 both ways. 2" deep was an 1876 quarter in nice shape. The nearest iron was a foot away. I looked for it to see if the quarter had been masked. It was not. Previous hunters cleaned most of it, but they did not meticulously cover every inch.View attachment 2118081
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

You scored a real beauty. You got it right, if you cover every inch you will find the good stuff others miss. I’m a little green with envy, I’m still looking for my first seated quarter.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
You will get it. Just make sure all your sites date back to the turn of the century, 1900, at least. I never hunt sites newer than that, although I know I am passing up some Barbers and late IHPs by not doing so. I'd rather get the early IHPs and seated.

My first SQ was in 1979 (church yard). I didn't get another until 1992, when I got two that year (both from a sidewalk replacement in town). I got one in '95 (sidewalk replacement) and three in '97 (all old house yards). Then I took a 24 year hiatus from detecting. I thought I was too old and it wasn't getting me rich, so I put more effort into other ways of making money. Now that I am retired, I have more time and less need for the money, and my doctor told me to get more exercise, so out came the detector. The seated quarter today was my first one since '97.

Great Find :) Congrats where in Michigan are you ?

Thanks i am originally from Kalamazoo area
Been all over that area. Got my first seated dime and two cent piece out of Bronson park in Kalamazoo, back in the late 70s. There was tons of Mercury dimes and wheaties in there. I think most of it has been dug up by park renovations now.

Fantastic coin and great recovery- just goes to show no one gets everything and I agree 100% with being meticulous. I try to grid every place I hit slowly and carefully, and in both directions as well. Takes a lot longer, but it's amazing what I find that others miss. Keep up the great work!!

Beautiful seated silver coin! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your great find.

That’s a really nice looking quarter. Such a great feeling digging 1800s silver. Congrats!

Weather was fair today for Michigan on the last day of November, so I went back to the stately old yard where I got the 1853 dime and the 1881 IHP last week. It is indeed pretty clean, but I can cover more ground with the Deus II 11" coil than I used to with the old detectors with their 8" coils. I was moving steadily across a large, clean area when the Deus rang up a solid 94 both ways. 2" deep was an 1876-S quarter in nice shape. The nearest iron was a foot away. I looked for it to see if the quarter had been masked. It was not. Previous hunters cleaned most of it, but they did not meticulously cover every inch.View attachment 2118081
Never hunted out, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back