Another Mystery Stone Thing

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Another Mystery 'Stone Thing'

I found this about 20 years ago on the Bruce Pennisula, along Colpoys bay. (just north of Owen Sound on Georgian Bay, Lake Huron) It was face down near the water in a grove of cedars. It attracted my attention because it was the only rock around with a long square edge.. I pulled it up out of the dirt and rollled it over.. Thats when I seen the face.. I don't know if it's some artifact, or just an old 'craft' project. It's about 2 feet high and 8-9 inches on each side. I have sent picture to several museums, but have never had a reply, so I guess it's not that important.. But, It's been guarding my garden for 20 years now and doing a damn fine job too!

Attachments

• mystoneman.jpg
    mystoneman.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 799
Re: Another Mystery 'Stone Thing'

It looks like something from a funny cartoon I watch...Also could it be a garve stone for someone who died that was a comedian?

Upvote 0

I've had this posted on another website for 4-5 years now, and not one guess...
As for the comedian grave stone.. It reminds me of what Rodney Dangerfield told his wife when she asked him on his deathbed where he would like to be buried..
His answer? "surprize me"!

Upvote 0

Thanks for the leads Jacko--Dave.. I'll check em out.. I always thought it looked like a old pacific Tiki charm, It reminds me of Easter Island, but looks more like a Tiki
I guess Museums are inundated with crap like this from people who want to know "Whats this"? "Am I rich"?..
So they don't even bother to answer in most cases..

Upvote 0

Gunner....that is one of Jackos' early, failed attempts at sculpting.? ?He is now experimenting with crocheting...and we wish him luck.? I can use a good wool sweater. ;)? ?

Upvote 0

It appears to me to be very ancient, and man-made. Just because museums showed no interest does not necessarily mean it has no validity or value. What intrigues me is the peninsula part of your story. The area where you found it needs to be checked more thoroughly. It appears to be part of a monument or foundation. I am very interested in discussing this more with you. If I cannot email you from here, please contact me via email - [email protected] . Thank you.

Upvote 0

Hi, I got your message, and answered it Bart.. I see your email address is here, so i will put it in my email address list, and send you the other pictures as soon as the snow clears.. The head is granite, and comes from a granite block producing area, so I have a feeling it was made locally, although from what time period is the big question..
As far as I know, the local Indians were not stone carvers!!

Upvote 0

Hi Gunfarce
I didn't know your face was granite. My guess is that you will never find any native American carvings composed of granite because of it's extreme hardness and because of it's mineral composition would? be very difficult(impossible?) for them to carve and polish. If I was a native American I would have chosen something softer and a rock which would be suitable for carving. In addition, look at the two smooth vertical cuts necessary for the carving. I suppose it is possible to find a natural fractured specimen to carve like this but if not only a modern diamond rock saw could produce such cuts.

However, I am not an archie nor an expert in native carving so this is just my 2 cents worth.
I would look at local artists(any famous ones here) to solve the mystery. Anything similar in the local cemetery or on display in town?

The Antique Roadshow appraiser says " Yes an early work by Joe Blowhorn- estimated value $50000"

George

Upvote 0

I was beginning to suspect some type of 'folk art' (is that F-ART for short?). the only carver in the area, was a tombstone maker years and years ago. however, there are no other statues like this that I have seen around.. The rock is far from polished, and the cut is not smooth enough to have been made with a saw but still, I have to agree I doubt it was any local Indians The area it was found is Wiarton/Colpoys bay on the east side of the Bruce peninsula on the Georgian Bay side..

Upvote 0

The only thing I can think of is maybe a toom stone for a pet barried somewhere in the area..and the stone marker just got moved somehow?

Upvote 0

Gee..I wonder what the hell kind of 'pet' would be buried under something like 'that'..
Or, perhaps they just danced around it in the 'sacrifice' :o

Upvote 0

Being in the area you found it it could be real old all the first explorers came by ship to that area my guess is French, Spanish or early American. Just a thought when the ships came Thru that area would it get shallow if so they might lighten the load by throwing heavy items out. SASQUASH<><

Upvote 0

Actually this tread is getting more interesting as we go along here. After a Google search on Bruce peninsula I noticed the presence of a large "artistic" community there but after the later replies well why not join in the fun.
Granted it is a tough reach? for Fido's tombstone but an early explorer throwing out an Aztec death idol has possibilities....Hmmm. I asked MiddenMonster about what he thought of the idol(not really) and here is his response.

"Are you jiving us?? I hope that's a? forgery because that's an Aztec death idol that curses all who cast their gaze upon it.? You need to make a pilgrimage to Teotihuacan *immediately*, and sacrifice a virgin goat to Quetzacouatl or it's gonna be a bad scene.? Baaad, I tell you!"

Now we know why this thing was pitched overboard by those early explorers- It is cursed.

Well good night and sleep soundly
George

Upvote 0

my best guess is that a local artisan either amature or professional was trying thier hand at rock carving. the edges of the block look too straight and the face has a "modern" quality to it. just a guess though. it sure does make a nice garden ornamate.

Upvote 0

bakergeol said:
"Are you jiving us? I hope that's a forgery because that's an Aztec death idol that curses all who cast their gaze upon it. You need to make a pilgrimage to Teotihuacan *immediately*, and sacrifice a virgin goat to Quetzacouatl or it's gonna be a bad scene. Baaad, I tell you!"
How can you tell if it's a virgin goat?

Oh wait! I recognize that! I wondered what my wife did with the sculpture I made of her! ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back