cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in the woods today when I come across a circular Field Stone slab. I have no idea what its purpose is. It is about the size of a man hole cover. About 2 feet from the round slab, there is more field stone it covers an area about 6 feet by 6 feet, Underneath the stone (the entire 6x6 area) it is metal. I am not sure what kind of metal it is, but it is about 2 feet tall, I can get my shovel under the metal so I don't think there isn't a bottom to it. What I found in the area was inconsistent, from modern pennies, to aluminum siding nails, melted lead, some tie downs, that I have no idea what they were used for and some other misc. things. Any ideas on what this 6x6 area might be? I sure would appreciate any help! Thanks! Pictures.jpgPictures2.jpg Pictures1.jpg This is a look around the area where I found this. This is a full 180 degree look, I was standing on the stone when I took the photos.

concrete plug for a well or hole of some sort?

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your thoughts, I will have to search around there then for an old homestead, because like I said this is in the woods! The area I detected around it, did not show evidence of that so I will have to expand my search area. Any idea about how old it would be based on the materials and how it is covered? And Why The opening is two feet away from the rest of it? Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Huh? LOL I don't understand what you mean, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond in the first place! Do you mean look for a property line? What would I look for in the middle of the woods for clues? Any more help would be great!

Possibly marking a property line.

Upvote 0
It may have been put there to mark the corner of ones property. Look around and you may find another one or 3.

Upvote 0
From the pictures, it looks like the concrete cover to an old well.

Upvote 0
Thanks, It just seems weird that the cement is so thin where it is on top of the metal. You have replied to many of my things in the past, and I always look forward to seeing your comments, you have much wisdom! Thanks again,

From the pictures, it looks like the concrete cover to an old well.

Upvote 0
When I was a kid we had something at my house that my dad used to call a "grease trap". It was between the house and the septic tank. That may be what you have there and the square area is the cover for the actual septic tank.........just my thoughts....

Upvote 0
You said that there is the round stone and also more fieldstone is it all on the metal, if so is it all around the perimeter of the metal , it could be to keep a covering in place over an old well have you checked to see if it sounds like there is an open space under the metal by hitting it to see if it sounds solid underneath it.

Upvote 0
More than likely something to do with an old septic tank - but there is only one way to find out! Open it up! There is always the possibility it is someones old cold war era bug out shelter as well and then who knows what sort of goodies could be awaiting you inside!

Upvote 0
I like your optimism!

More than likely something to do with an old septic tank - but there is only one way to find out! Open it up! There is always the possibility it is someones old cold war era bug out shelter as well and then who knows what sort of goodies could be awaiting you inside!

Upvote 0
No I didn't think to hit it, I will have to give it a try the next time I make it out there. Thanks!
You said that there is the round stone and also more fieldstone is it all on the metal, if so is it all around the perimeter of the metal , it could be to keep a covering in place over an old well have you checked to see if it sounds like there is an open space under the metal by hitting it to see if it sounds solid underneath it.

Upvote 0
I found an old fall out shelter once. Was about 6'X6' and 8 or 9' deep. Had a square "hatch" about 2'X2'. Metal ladder and metal seats on 2 sides. Bad part was hatch was gone and shelter was open to elements. Was on farm bought by U.S.Corp. of Eng. on one of its lakes. Covered by water now.

Upvote 0
Detecting in the woods today when I come across a circular Field Stone slab. I have no idea what its purpose is. It is about the size of a man hole cover. About 2 feet from the round slab, there is more field stone it covers an area about 6 feet by 6 feet, Underneath the stone (the entire 6x6 area) it is metal. I am not sure what kind of metal it is, but it is about 2 feet tall, I can get my shovel under the metal so I don't think there isn't a bottom to it. What I found in the area was inconsistent, from modern pennies, to aluminum siding nails, melted lead, some tie downs, that I have no idea what they were used for and some other misc. things. Any ideas on what this 6x6 area might be? I sure would appreciate any help! Thanks!View attachment 962957View attachment 962959 View attachment 962958 This is a look around the area where I found this. This is a full 180 degree look, I was standing on the stone when I took the photos.
Its the hidden pathway to China

Upvote 0
This is my guess as well. Maybe put in a call to Geraldo though and he can do a whole TV show about opening the "mystery vault"

Yeah and its full of the samething that Geraldo is along with a few other people that will remain nameless.:laughing9:

Upvote 0
I also think its a well. The thin layer of cement on top of the metal indicates to me that the metal was a sort of frame or mold used to pour the cement into thereby creating a slab around the access cover. Could also possibly be some sort of monitoring well for checking groundwater?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back