cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in the woods today when I come across a circular Field Stone slab. I have no idea what its purpose is. It is about the size of a man hole cover. About 2 feet from the round slab, there is more field stone it covers an area about 6 feet by 6 feet, Underneath the stone (the entire 6x6 area) it is metal. I am not sure what kind of metal it is, but it is about 2 feet tall, I can get my shovel under the metal so I don't think there isn't a bottom to it. What I found in the area was inconsistent, from modern pennies, to aluminum siding nails, melted lead, some tie downs, that I have no idea what they were used for and some other misc. things. Any ideas on what this 6x6 area might be? I sure would appreciate any help! Thanks! Pictures.jpgPictures2.jpg Pictures1.jpg This is a look around the area where I found this. This is a full 180 degree look, I was standing on the stone when I took the photos.

Upvote 0
If looking for old property lines in the woods sometimes you can see a fairly straight line of smaller trees than all the rest around them. This is because property lines were surveyed and usually trees were cleared for the surveyor to shoot a line. Not exactly sure when surveying property lines came in to being but have seen for myself that sometimes the lines can be found using this method. Especially in older woods where most of the trees are large in girth and the ones in the property line are shorter and have a smaller girth. As far as what you found I would agree with a lot of the posts above and say you found an old septic tank. Which some people might think isn't that great of a find but I say keep hunting the area people didn't put septic tanks out in the woods for no reason. Probably an old house place very near by. Might be some great finds close by.

Upvote 0
More than likely something to do with an old septic tank - but there is only one way to find out! Open it up! There is always the possibility it is someones old cold war era bug out shelter as well and then who knows what sort of goodies could be awaiting you inside!

I'd say the goodies you might find in there could be petrified turds..... I've the same type cover over my septic tank :)

Upvote 0
Well, cistern, springhole, or septic cover. Some times folks dug a well and had a cellar or springhouse next to it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back