Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was a horrible picture of the keys victim......it was sobering to see !! Be careful and trust your instinct....if it seems dangerous it probably is !! Everybody watch your back, and use the buddy system or you could just disappear !!

Upvote 25
One good thing good about Missouri No gators.Common since goes a long way.
LOL, no gators but there are plenty of copperheads, cottonmouths, western pygmy rattlesnakes, eastern massasauga rattlesnake, and timber rattlesnakes.

I lived in Columbia MO for 20 years killed multiple tomber rattlesnakes over 5 foot, and lots of copperheads and cottonmouths.

Odds of dying in auto accident is 1/93, odds of dying in shark attack 1/4,000,000+.

Anytime something bumps you in the water you jump! I've been bumped in a freshwater lake...I'm guessing catfish but who knows! I saw a huge bass jump out of the water a week ago...bigest one I've seen...

Yes, but the media doesn't hype up car wrecks with a "Crash Week" & show gruesome car wrecks. Dogs kill many more people every year than sharks. It still pays to be careful & use common media is to blame for most of the hype.
The News Media blows this crap out of proportion. All the videos I saw on the news were Nurse Sharks shot overhead by drones. Then the news cut to STOCK FOOTAGE of a Great White prowling and heading straight for the camera. Then a drone shot of the beach again. I’m surprised they didn’t put in the audio soundtrack from Jaws.

Yes, but the media doesn't hype up car wrecks with a "Crash Week" & show gruesome car wrecks. Dogs kill many more people every year than sharks. It still pays to be careful & use common sense.
Common sense is always good which is why I don't hunt in water very deep at dawn or dusk, usually only calf deep or less at that time. Also know if I see schools of bait fish fleeing or jumping best to move close to shore. I'm usually more concerned about stingrays.

Odds of dying in auto accident is 1/93, odds of dying in shark attack 1/4,000,000+.
@Treasure_Hunter Those are not correct odds for many of us....what are the input numbers??? How many times a week in the ocean do they account for ?? Like I've said over and over in this thread....if your me, or many other people like me who get in the ocean 3+ times a week, then your odds are far greater than 99.999% of the rest of the population....so to quote those odds is not very mindful of the professional waterman who have many more times the chance of being attacked than the average person who goes to the beach 3 times a year (I don't know the input numbers) and has a total soak time of 8 hours in the ocean every year ?? Am I missing something ?? Or is my math wrong here ?? I have been attacked, and only escaped serious injury through hyper awareness, and quick reflexes. 110% alertness is always the factor that's kept me alive in many shark encounters underwater, and today after this post I will again get in the water with sharks ( I see them most days) for 8 hours soak time !! In the last 3 days I've spent 16 hours IN THE WATER !! That's more time than many of you will in a whole year....I know at least 2 other dedicated hunters on this forum alone (not counting other professional waterman) who have also been attacked !! No odds can predict when someone such as myself and others who spend 98% more time in the ocean than the average human will be attacked !! Just because I wasn't killed, or brutally injured doesn't mean I haven't been attacked ?? I was lucky, and skilled enough to escape injury several times in my life....sometimes miraculously!! I've really only tried to keep track of Florida, but the latest hawian victim is a text book example of this stupid odds game people like to quote as fact !! He was a professional waterman and spent much more time in the water than the average person THUS INCREASING HIS ODDS !! So I ask for the sake of the dedicated beach and shallow water guys here...by what factor are our odds increased of an attack over the average odds you quote....2X...10X....100X...what do you think ? ? ?
Those odds mean absolutely NOTHING to me or temya perry !!
This whole thread is for US shallow water guys who's odds are much much higher, and need to be aware of what's happening and where it's happening at the moment.....SO DISREGARD IF YOUR ONE IN THE 4,000,000,000 OTHER PEOPLE !! @bigscoop just said he's been attacked, I've been attacked, and so has at least 1 other contributing member on this forum (can't remember his name, but will find the thread) so how do we explain that ?? Doesn't match the odds does it ?? You think every shark attack or close call or minor injury makes the news ?? 🤔

I will post my recent video again for e eryone to see....this small lemon encounter was getting to an escalated pace, and I had to leave because the shark was starting to get aggressive and circling and eyeballing me closer. Look at his eyes...Definitely checking me out and sizing me up....in the end I was much to big and risky for him to try anything....but what you don't see is the multiple other sharks....and that's to dangerous.

For me it's a regular occurrence for stuff like this....not 4,000,000,000 to one odds !?!?

So yes its irritating to see this number casually quoted on a forum that by nature has far greater odds than average....the term beach and SHALLOW WATER denotes that members who participate in this type of hunting are in the shark environment more than say .... corn field hunters, or coin roll hunters !! THOSE ODDS ARE NOT FOR US !!

@Treasure_Hunter Those are not correct odds for many of us....what are the input numbers??? How many times a week in the ocean do they account for ?? Like I've said over and over in this thread....if your me, or many other people like me who get in the ocean 3+ times a week, then your odds are far greater than 99.999% of the rest of the population....so to quote those odds is not very mindful of the professional waterman who have many more times the chance of being attacked than the average person who goes to the beach 3 times a year (I don't know the input numbers) and has a total soak time of 8 hours in the ocean every year ?? Am I missing something ?? Or is my math wrong here ?? I have been attacked, and only escaped serious injury through hyper awareness, and quick reflexes. 110% alertness is always the factor that's kept me alive in many shark encounters underwater, and today after this post I will again get in the water with sharks ( I see them most days) for 8 hours soak time !! In the last 3 days I've spent 16 hours IN THE WATER !! That's more time than many of you will in a whole year....I know at least 2 other dedicated hunters on this forum alone (not counting other professional waterman) who have also been attacked !! No odds can predict when someone such as myself and others who spend 98% more time in the ocean than the average human will be attacked !! Just because I wasn't killed, or brutally injured doesn't mean I haven't been attacked ?? I was lucky, and skilled enough to escape injury several times in my life....sometimes miraculously!! I've really only tried to keep track of Florida, but the latest hawian victim is a text book example of this stupid odds game people like to quote as fact !! He was a professional waterman and spent much more time in the water than the average person THUS INCREASING HIS ODDS !! So I ask for the sake of the dedicated beach and shallow water guys here...by what factor are our odds increased of an attack over the average odds you quote....2X...10X....100X...what do you think ? ? ?
This whole thread is for US shallow water guys who's odds are much much higher, and need to be aware of what's happening and where it's happening at the moment.....SO DISREGARD IF YOUR ONE IN THE 4,000,000,000 OTHER PEOPLE !! @bigscoop just said he's been attacked, I've been attacked, and so has at least 1 other contributing member on this forum (can't remember his name, but will find the thread) so how do we explain that ?? Doesn't match the odds does it ?? You think every shark attack or close call or minor injury makes the news ?? 🤔

100% incorrect stats. I used to collect tropical fish and invertebrates here for the aquarium trade. . All the inlets and shallow reefs along the FL keys. It was daily encounters with sharks. Since I’m disturbing the substrate it attracts all the small reef fish in return attract bigger fish etc etc. so picture this. Your back is turned to the open water while your harvesting or collecting. So one day down in Bahia Honda. (I’m sure Bart knows this resident) this shaddow casts over the rocks I’m working. Moving faster than a cloud and big enough to cover the sun. Fkn about a 15’ hammer head shark cruising feet over me. My dive buddy got a desk job after that. Even now Mding the beaches and in the water. I see sharks all the time. Most people are oblivious to them. The sharks are litrally swimming/weaving between the crowds. I’m actually not surprised the encounters are not more.

Yes, but the media doesn't hype up car wrecks with a "Crash Week" & show gruesome car wrecks. Dogs kill many more people every year than sharks. It still pays to be careful & use common sense.
fdc65c64abeca0a6.png

100% incorrect stats. I used to collect tropical fish and invertebrates here for the aquarium trade. . All the inlets and shallow reefs along the FL keys. It was daily encounters with sharks. Since I’m disturbing the substrate it attracts all the small reef fish in return attract bigger fish etc etc. so picture this. Your back is turned to the open water while your harvesting or collecting. So one day down in Bahia Honda. (I’m sure Bart knows this resident) this shaddow casts over the rocks I’m working. Moving faster than a cloud and big enough to cover the sun. Fkn about a 15’ hammer head shark cruising feet over me. My dive buddy got a desk job after that. Even now Mding the beaches and in the water. I see sharks all the time. Most people are oblivious to them. The sharks are litrally swimming/weaving between the crowds. I’m actually not surprised the encounters are not more.
I agree with @Linesider 100% Absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but being a professional who works in the ocean you better disregard these odds and keep your hyper focus at 100% at all times....you could be the one who bumps the odds game up !! Add in the odd rogue barracuda or accidental stingray miss step, and man....it's a tremendously dangerous environment!! It easy to be lulled into a false sense of peace and tranquility only to be startled back to reality by any number of creatures sneaking in on you....as a treasure diver....in a professional working environment....you wouldn't believe the dangers....from sharp and jagged objects, glass, fishing hooks, Morey eels, sharks, cudas, boat traffic etc.etc.etc. this odds thing is for news and tourists !!

Another time. Recently actually. On mt flats boat. Floats maybe 10”above water. We out cathing bait with cast nets. Water is milky can’t see much. But the bait is there. So I line up boat,buddy takes the cast with the net. He’s on bait. Nice thick ball in net. Not but maybe 1 more pull on rope and net comes onto boat. Well straight out the water comes a nasty bull shark. Grabs buddies ball of bait. Net and all. Buddy panics ,end of rope is looped over your wrist, lucky he wasn’t pulled over and the net gave out after little tug of war while he was trying to remove wrist loop.. sheiiiiiii

The sun is getting high, and it's time for me to brave the odds and get out there...recent outings have been successful with a cannonball, musket ball, Spanish silver jewelry, ballast stones, broken anchor sticking out of the shallows, and scattered pins a d spikes. I WILL SEE A NURSE SHARK GARUNTEED !! Anyone who thinks they can't latch on and re.ove a chunk of flesh is mistaken also....rarely are they aggressive, but it has happened...I know people who are missing chunks of flesh from them....including a nipple !!😲😲😲....I'm off to sea....see ya later !!

Odds are odds, you are still 1000s of times more likely to die in auto accident than shark attack. I'm born and raised in Fl too, grew up on our beaches and waterways.

16 reported shark attacks in Fl in 2023 and 394,000 car accidents. Even if you multiply shark attacks by 10 times what is reported that is 160 vs 394,000. More people die in drownings from rip tides than sharks in Fl, in 2023 we had 25 rip tide drownings and 10 deaths from sharks.

All I'm saying is shark attacks are blown way out of proportion by media.

People just need to be smart and aware when in water is all.

Odds of being struck by lighting are only about 1/15,000, but I don't walk the beach when lighting is near carying 5 foot metal scoop and 7 foot aluminum shaft.

Odds of attack have nothing to do with how many times a week you're in the water, odds are odds. Odds to hit lottery 1 in 300 million, buy a 1000 tickets for a lottery drawing odds are still 1 in 300 million that one of the tickets is the winner.

Yes there are more sharks in certain feeding locations like mouth of rivers, reefs ect so chances of encounter are higher there, odds of shark bite in New Smyrna Beach is higher than South Beach Miami, and you are still a 1000s times more likely to be in auto accident than shark attack at either location.

I use to shark fish off McDill AFB in a canoe, the mouth of Tampa Bay has so many sharks.

I've detected in the water for 18 years now, hunted Daytona, New Smyrna beach in water so many times, "Volusia County, which is the “Shark Bite Capital of the World” and home to beaches like Daytona, New Smyrna and Ormond Beach."

Even up north, we've had swimmers encounter bad experiences with Muskie, a hand or foot being mistaken for a floundering fish.....lol
my neighbor when she was 14 had a barracuda bite make a nice gash and later scar on her calf when she was in the ocean at a Florida beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back