another ancient

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 454
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 453
tyre kicker said:
Looks like Julian11, Dugfinds will tell ya :-*

Are you blowing me kisses at me, tyrekisser? :-[

Anyway without letters I will try & narrow it down. I guess you realised the Rev was a Soldier spearing a fallen horse, so it will be quite a late date.

See if Gunner can beat me this time?

Upvote 0
Daddytopcat - Are you still going through that original pile of coins you got months ago?

I tried to identify for you but didnt feel I was close enough to make a guess... a lot are close, but none the same. :P

I'm sure dugfinds or Gunner will fond it soon.

Upvote 0
Constantius II AE Half Centenionalis.

Obverse: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG
REVERSE: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO

Emperor spearing a fallen horsemen (Most likely a Persian). That's about all I can gauge from the coin. If I had to guess at a mint, I'd say Antioch by style.

=)

Gunner

Attachments

• CIIAnt.jpg
    CIIAnt.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0
Thanks Gunner and all who replied.
I am not finding these with my MD's. I got them uncleaned off the internet awhile ago and are just getting around to them being cleaned well enough to be able to ID.
I still have about 8-10 that are still soaking in olive oil and have been for about 6 months.
Gotta have patience!
Once again, thanks all.
Scott

Upvote 0
Here's my thoughts (basically agree with Gunner somewhat).

This coin is of the FEL[icia] TEMP[ora] REPARATIO type (Translated: Return of Good Times) with a Soldier spearing a fallen Horseman and this reverse was used between AD348 to 361. By the head shape of the Emperor my money is on CONSTANTIUS II (337-361) rather than the other good candidate CONSTANTIUS GALLUS (351-354). This is mainly due to what I believe may be the impression of letters IVSPF on the Obverse right side of head. This would fit with the DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG of Constantius II from AD348 to AD361. The reverse for AD348 to 354 was on a Sears 4003 Centenionalis (circa 23mm) and from AD354 to 361 on Sears 4010 AE3 (circa 18mm) .
The inscription for GALLUS was DN FL CL CONSTANTIVS NOBC and he had Centenionalis and AE3 minted (of same sizes as Constantius II). If the coin is 20cm this is either the earliest AE3 (we have found a 19mm) or a very late Centenionalis (although we have found nothing smaller than 21mm) as sizes reduced over the years. Coins of either ruler relatively common with GVF value being circa £15 (Cons II) to £25 (Gallus) for an AE3 and circa £25 (Cons II) to £35 (Gallus) for a Centenionalis.
JULIAN II (AD 335-360) also minted FEL TEMP AE3s (c 17mm) but face style does not fit. Finally other rulers during the period were MAGNENTIUS (AD 350-353), DECENTIUS (AD 351-353), VETRANIO (AD350) and NEPOTIAN (AD 350) but no FEL TEMP types documented as minted in reference books I hold.
In Conclusion either AE3 AD352ish of CONSTANTIUS GALLUS or AE3 AD354 / Centionalis AD360ish of CONSTANTIUS II.

Upvote 0
Gunner said:
Constantius II AE Half Centenionalis.

Obverse: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG
REVERSE: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO

Emperor spearing a fallen horsemen (Most likely a Persian). That's about all I can gauge from the coin. If I had to guess at a mint, I'd say Antioch by style.
=)
Gunner
Gunner,
Maybe a little big for a half centenionalis. Don't you think?

Upvote 0
Gunner & Dugfinds -

Lord knows I dont want to question you guys on this type of coin question... but while researching I found your example of his coin and dismissed it.

There are other examples that more closely match the spearman's right leg, bent almost at a right angle over the horse's back, whereas your example shows a straighter right leg... and, less gap between the man's spear and forearm.

If I'm all screwed up please slap me... this is more a question than a correction.

Respectfully... Jim

Upvote 0
2cm.....that's 20mm right? =) I am not good with metrics lol. Since the coin is oblong, I'd bet the 2 cm portion is the long part :). I still think it is a half-centenionalis as the full ones (Centenionalii) are anywhere from 21-26 mm in my experience (not oblonged). By the way, for terminology's sake, a half centenionalis is the same thing as an "AE3". Also, the coin is definitely Constantius II as Constantius Gallus is never portrayed on these types diademed (Gallus is always bare-headed).

There are literally thousands of variants of this coin and I would wager that it is the most common uncleaned ancient coin found in lots (coming from the Balkans these days). So, finding an "exact match" would be quite the rarity. Every single die was hand engraved (and I'm sure there were thousands of dies produced during late Roman times) so you are likely to find these variances with respect to the exact detailing of the action taking place on the coin. Good question though Montana Jim and worthy of debate! Great discussion :)

Here is an example of Constantius Gallus on a FEL TEMP REPARATIO (Centenionalis). Note the bare head.
Gunner

Attachments

• gallus.jpg
    gallus.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
Gunner said:
2cm.....that's 20mm right? =) I am not good with metrics lol. Since the coin is oblong, I'd bet the 2 cm portion is the long part :). I still think it is a half-centenionalis as the full ones (Centenionalii) are anywhere from 21-26 mm in my experience (not oblonged). By the way, for terminology's sake, a half centenionalis is the same thing as an "AE3". Also, the coin is definitely Constantius II as Constantius Gallus is never portrayed on these types diademed (Gallus is always bare-headed).

There are literally thousands of variants of this coin and I would wager that it is the most common uncleaned ancient coin found in lots (coming from the Balkans these days). So, finding an "exact match" would be quite the rarity. Every single die was hand engraved (and I'm sure there were thousands of dies produced during late Roman times) so you are likely to find these variances with respect to the exact detailing of the action taking place on the coin. Good question though Montana Jim and worthy of debate! Great discussion :)

Gunner

Thanks Gunner... I appreciate the clarity in thought. :)

I've been looking at the ancients for several months trying to get IDs and have done alright when I can get a letter or two, but the variations are killing me! Truth be told - I'm only looking at designs and am not really interested in the historical information, so it makes it hard for me to understand the lilttle subtleties. :-\

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back