And You Wish You Could Have Fought in the Civil War? Not After Seeing This!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too pretty a day In Tennessee to stay inside so I made the 5 mile drive to the Hartsville Battlefield where Morgan attacked the Yankee camp in Dec. 1862. Dman and I have dug many relics there. It's probably the hardest hunted CW site in Tennessee because permission was easy to get since the 1960s.
Look at this fired mushroomed .69 cal. 3 ring "Big Boy" bullet I dug today in comparison to a 1917 Half Dollar that I found with a Spanish 8 Reales near a spring at Battery Hill in Smith County, TN a few years ago. Before the smart remarks that will no doubt come from Modern Miner and Dman, I know it's a half dollar, it's not the first one I earned, and I did not fire that bullet in the Battle of Hartsville.
Still want to have been a CW Soldier? No wonder so many amputations were necessary. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• .69 cal. from Hartsville Battlefield.jpg
    .69 cal. from Hartsville Battlefield.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Mushroomed .69 cal. 3 Ringer.jpg
    Mushroomed .69 cal. 3 Ringer.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,514
Upvote 0
MaineRelic said:
That is a big boy alright ! Have you weighed it Quindy ?? I would be curious of the grains in that very large lead projectile ! Nice ! M.R.
I don't have a scale here MR but the M & M bullet book gives the style U.S. 69 cal. 3 ringers that we find at that battlefield/U.S. camp as weighing in the 700-725 grains range. Thanks for looking Bud, Quindy.

Wow! That one hit something soft. Still a great find.

Not a cold chance in hell would I want to be there during the CW.

Line up and shoot at each-other :dontknow: dumbest thing I ever heard of~~ find some cover!

TnMountains said:
We wonder why there were so many amputations during the war. There ya go. Big ole chunk of flying lead. Even bigger when smashed !

It's not so much the bullet but the damage done and the laying there for a day or 2, and the resulting infection and no antibiotics~~ the only real way to stop infection was to cut it out/off.

The worst part was the they had no idea that going from patient to patient and using the same dirty instruments spread infection like it does, so even if they only had to dig it out & stitch it up your chances for infection were very high.

~~Happy Hunting~~

Nice bullett find "Q" :icon_thumleft:, it certainly would have made your eyes water a bit if it had hit you. I remember seeing a tv program of a dig at Culloden where they found a large calibre musket ball that had impacted something, it even had an impression of fabric on the flattened side. These projectiles would cause a lot of damage, torn flesh and smashed bone, when they hit a person.

hammered

Those bullets would not just make a hole, they would rip so much meat and bone out that the only option would be to cut the limb off, that is if you got hit in the arm or leg.

Nice Find !

& to answer your Question,
I Never had a wish to be a Soldier in the Civil War or
any other war Either :icon_pirat:
I'll leave it at that :wink:

jeff of pa said:
Nice Find !

& to answer your Question,
I Never had a wish to be a Soldier in the Civil War or
any other war Either :icon_pirat:
I'll leave it at that :wink:
Me neither Jeff!!! I also dug a fired flattened .44 cal. Colt pistol ball nearby the big bullet. If either bullet was fired during the battle and hit someone, it definitely ruined their day. There was 58 Union Soldiers and 39 Confederates killed there plus well over a hundred wounded at that battle. Many died later of their wounds and little wonder. Thanks for looking, Quindy.

I have never had the "urge",to fight in any war.....but I would!Image the thousands of those CHUNKS flying through the air!!!

I look at the pile of bullets my husband has and it amazes me how big the bullets were in the CW. I can only imagine what one would do to a soldier. The ones that really intrigue me are the bullets that he has found that are chewed with teeth marks in them. You know it's been in a soldiers mouth and probably because he was in pain from being wounded. Great find Quindy! HH

Thanks to everyone who replied. We often underestimate the firepower used in the Civil War. Each relic we find has a story and offers an insight into history. I hope I answered your questions HH, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back