Ancient book!!!

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ve got this very,very old book... it looks like it is written by some type of writting we call "glagoljica" or old slavic letter. If someone can tell me how much is this worth or is there any similar to this i will be happy. 14032013030.jpg14032013031.jpg14032013033.jpg14032013034.jpg

This is 17 century book as i was said... so theres no author or any other data on covers like today... or title... or date. Anything. Or maybe there is on old slavic but i cant read it.

Viminacium,
If you are in Serbia, I'd take it to the Svetorzar Markovic University Library in Belgrade and ask them to identify what you have.
I understand they are the foremost library (including research) in Serbia.
Don.......

Thank you... i will try that.

From now on handle it with cotton gloves only and store it flat. I used to work in preservation of library materials.

Wow could it be the "Veprinac Statute" written in 1507 see link scroll down little ways compare red and black text. Hard to tell from the pic they're showing which book it's from. It also looks like the book further down the page "1483 Croatian Glagolitic incunabula" Only 11 exist 2 at the vatican, 1 library of congress etc. I would guess you probably have a later printing of this famous book but maybe it's that old. I'm not a book expert.
Croatian Glagolitic Script read all pertinent then also click on the link they have to 1507 Istria to read more compare texts. Like last poster said please wear gloves don't open book past half way or so, better to have a pro look at it. Is it 19x26cm?

Yeah if I remember right even if its from 18th century it's rare; they're all rare from what I saw on the websites I came across. It might be a 1 of a kind ledger too. Or the first book printed in that language or the last cant remember ....but I bet he found out something cool about it by now. Hope he comes back and posts about it.

Dont have it anymore...

17th century book used in monastery

That doesn't tell us a lot about the book! Can you tell us more on the book? Is the book rare, did you sell it and if so...did you get a lot for it, or did you donate it to a Museum or Monastery? You don't have to tell how much you got for it if in fact you sold it but please provide a little more information.

I will point out, that the book looks almost identical to the book recently used on the History Channel's Show "Vikings". An indentical or similar book was used in the Episode where the Priest captured by the Vikings, now referred to as the Apostate Priest opened and the picture of Christ on the Cross started bleeding in the areas of the Crucifiction wounds.

Frank

Last edited:
Its not same as Viking book. Vikings had different language. This is "glagoljica" ancient Slavic language. All i know is that it was used in some ortodox rituals. Theres nothing more i could find out. Sold it to a colector because i needed money or otherways i wouldnt sell it for sure. People in my country dont give things to museums, too many people are poor with no job or even if they have job its not more than 200$ per month... so they are forced to find and sell old money, relics etc and sell to earn money to live.

Its not same as Viking book. Vikings had different language. This is "glagoljica" ancient Slavic language. All i know is that it was used in some ortodox rituals. Theres nothing more i could find out. Sold it to a colector because i needed money or otherways i wouldnt sell it for sure. People in my country dont give things to museums, too many people are poor with no job or even if they have job its not more than 200$ per month... so they are forced to find and sell old money, relics etc and sell to earn money to live.
Can you pm me collectors contact if you have it I have a friend interested in maybe buying it still.

Heh :) Where was you when i had it? I dont keep my buyers contacts... Buyers usually contact me.

Well when you had it I researched it intensely and posted in this thread two or three times trying to help you realize the potential value of this book ol. I obviously was interested in the book and still am can you tell me who has it so I can make them an offer lol

Like i told you,i dont keep buyer contacts and as im often selling i dont even remember. Some buyer from other town,i ve seen him once in my life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back