an update on the mine El Naranjal

Loke, you posted -- Nature can play some nasty tricks

I'll have to ask you to keep Oro out of this.
:laughing7: He's ok, it's just that he is, well, Oro, and my friend ( yours also, which is why I allow him to go with you.) :occasion14: Hi to Beth, she's fair game also :laughing7:
OK - I _know_ that I'm wayyyy off the subject of 'Naranjal' - so I beg yalls indulgence for what I'm about to say:

What the heck does Oro have to do with 'nature playing nasty tricks' ???
Now - if you are suggesting that sock-coffee has summat to do with 'nature' (I guess some BO draining into said socks may be a natural cause), you might be right ... but I'll let you know one thing - he's the best cook around!! (which is a priceless property when you're out 'camping')
Just don't tell him I said that - might cause his head to grow bigger ...

I use a kindle. Unfortunately it doesn't show the like button to like other posters posts so Don Jose and loke take it as read I've liked your posts

I use a kindle. Unfortunately it doesn't show the like button to like other posters posts so Don Jose and loke take it as read I've liked your posts

It is good to see you back amigo, hope all is well with you and looking forward to reading MORE of your posts! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Hmm Loke may have been out in the desert TOO long, if he thought MY camp cooking was any good! :tongue3:

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Hi Roy thanks I hope you and Beth are well.
I did write a much longer post but it timed out before I could reply.
Jose I agree you have a mine named EL naranjal you've posted a photo of the stone with the name engraved on there. but I'm not convinced for many reasons that it's the one dobbie talks about in his book.
I'll drag my old laptop out and use that to write a much longer post in my email box that way I can save it then cut and paste it here without it timing out.

John

Furness,my friiend, a version of that is here in Alamos, Where Almada laid silver bars from his home in the Plaza to the church when a heavy rain storm made the streets to muddy for his daughters wedding at the church.

All I can say is that he either had more silver bars than he knew what to do with, OR, he wanted to get rid of his daughter so bad that money was no object.
I thought Aluminum foil, or tin foil, was a fairly new concept , mid 1800's ?

All I can say is that he either had more silver bars than he knew what to do with, OR, he wanted to get rid of his daughter so bad that money was no object.
I thought Aluminum foil, or tin foil, was a fairly new concept , mid 1800's ?

The celebrations using foil wrapped pieces of timber are recent not in the 1800s it was a tourist website. I'd gone through a number of sites when everything stopped working

Furness,my friiend, a version of that is here in Alamos, Where Almada laid silver bars from his home in the Plaza to the church when a heavy rain storm made the streets to muddy for his daughters wedding at the church.
That sounds more likely than a celebration for a Don who used the Indio Labour in his mine and explains why they would celebrate it even today.
I had never heard that story only the visit by the bishop to the Don where silver flags were laid. Gracias jose

I'll just add that I was so amazed when I read about the Don laying silver flags that it never occurred to me that anyone else would have done the same although for a different reason . And I assumed the celebration was for that event ! I couldn't conceive of any one else doing it.

Hi Furness, the gentle man in question had the richest silver mine here, but he also was a col in the French troops and was the fence for any ill begotten Gold or Silver bars. He simply ran them though as his mines production, nice setup eh ?

Yep he sounds just like the CEO.s and bosses of the big investment banks we have now.

The state of Durango is one of the most mineralized areas in the country of Mexico. It is also one of the most difficult to reach many of the earliest mines as access to those worked prior to the 1900’s was by mule trail and the ore was packed out by mule train. Infrastructure is still undeveloped in many places and never will be as there doesn’t exist any logical reason to build roads through this mountainous /canyon country, so many of these mines are lost due to their lack of accessibility as lost in memory. Such is the case of the mine known popularly as Él Naranjal’. And as legend tells us it is almost impossible to reach. Well, if you know where to research and are able to read Spanish the true story about El Naranjal is readily attainable, and if you have a good mule and local guide, and a good “pomada” anyone can go directly to it. The following is a very condensed and loose translation from local historical archives on record in the municipality where El Naranjal is located. ///// A indigenous (native) brought a single stone to show to the local mission priest, the priests name was Fr. Jose Ignacio Garibay. After examining the stone is was identified as containing gold. The priest formed a group and registered the mine under the name “La Garibaya”. The local Indians were enslaved, the actual translation from the historical records state that the Indians rendered their services free of charge. And they worked under the “Faena “system. I know the modern definition for ‘Faena “but not this particular definition. At any rate the mine was incredibly rich, all production was done with hand tools and slave labor. It goes on to say that from the taxes paid from the mines production the Zambrano Palace was built. This is the governor’s palace in downtown Durango, Dgo, a very impressive building to say the least. You can google it and check out the images. It is not known how long the mine was worked as many of the records were lost in a fire in 1810 when the community was attacked by Spanish troops. A short time later the Indians rebelled and in the attack Father Garibay was killed by an arrow in what was known as the Los Tepalcates incident. After this the mining activity was reduced to locals working in primitive fashion until little by little the area mines were left idle. There were ten mines in all being worked in the area. The very last paragraph of this archive states that the mine officially as El Garibay was known locally as El Naranjal from the beginning and after the death of the original owner took over as the recognized name. ////// I am 100% convinced that the Garibay mine is the El Naranjal mine known in the treasure writings. I have researched this not only through this historical document but also by backtracking the tax records both which indicate that the Garibay and the El Naranjal mine are one and the same. The area was initially chosen by the Spanish for settlement for its climate and abundance of native fruits growing in the area as well as facility of growing criolla fruits. Hence the local name for the mine El Naranjal.//// I would think the dumps for this mine could be very high grade although no one apparently has evaluated them or a good dump for metal detecting.

Iam not a treasure hunter , but a mining consultant in mexico and do quite a bit of research. Occasionally I come across some of information that I think might be helpful to someone on this forum.. Personally I cant fathom why anyone would pursue a lost mine story such as the lost mine called el naranjal. Being a miner ,and with so many real opportunities to work proven properties I just cant see spending time and money to search for a story tale . at any rate the point of passing on this bit of info is that according to the local historian and remaining documents on record in the office of the president (mayor) for the municipality of pueblo Nuevo, dgo and verbal communication with a geologist who explored the area. The mine el naranjal is in their community. And has never been lost at least to them. So if one wants to believe those people and the written history they have for their community this should suffice and ,I passed that summary on to the interested readers. Since the final objective of the search is to locate the mine el naranjal ,and to the satisfaction of some myself included that objective has been realized ,it is incidental whether or to whom the taxes were paid. But it is on record in the state of Durango, the historical archives that the Zambrano Palace was built and paid for by the Zambrano family via the production from their mines and chiefly the mine known as el naranjal. The Zambrano’s held about a dozen mines and were the richest family in Durango. They took over the operation of the mine El Naranjal after the demise of Father Garibay and worked the Naranjal mine to its depletion.those records are on disc now both the state and church if anyone is interested. Father Garibay is well known in Durango history and the principle mine still bears his name. he is registered as the original owner and then mr Zambrano, maybe this helps.
Where are this archives, because if I google Zambrano nothing links him to el Naranjal, my family is near Cosala they heard stories about an enchanted town with oranges up in the mountains but location varies from different people apparently in over 40 miles of river. People see it and can’t find it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back