Almost didn't get this permission-experience showed how.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did some mapping a while back and met what I thought was the land owner at a local historical fun raising event in the winter. I rechecked the maps before setting out yesterday and I was a little off, and that put the site onto another property. I stopped at the farm and nobody was around, then I returned later on in the day and zilch. I was parked down the road trying to decide if I was going to hunt, where to go for a quick hit, when this tractor goes by, I looked in the mirror and it turned into farm.
One quick turn around I was on him like a fly on a fresh turd pile. I had met him once before a few yrs prior, and were chatting when the brother came out-"Alpha Male" We bring up to date on the conversation, and I asked him about the site on the field over?

" You from the historical society?" After a simple "No"
He went on to "I had one guy taking pictures on the property last week, kicked his ass off! I hate these tree huggers! A man should be able to do this or that on his own property!
No argument from me I'm thinking - I just want to dig in your dirt man.
He states there wasn't a homesite on the field, as he's plowed, turned, tilled, planted many times-nope I was mistaken.
Ok I need to throw some ace cards onto the table, to trump his claims.
I threw out some bigger permission names close to him, and told him of sites on the properties that showed nothing to indicate a homestead.
He did a 180 and said "well you can have a look" But please don't go into the tree line as there's garbage and it's unsafe"

I was off to the spot faster than a light beam.
I only had less than an hour to detect now so I hot spotted around dug photo'd the digs.
I went back to the farm dropped a little note thanking him for letting me detect his land, and there was a homesite on the hill of the field.
I left a couple of ratchet straps there as well.
Last night I got a call from this nicest sounding guy, first thanking me for the note, thanking me for finding the site, thanking me for the two gifts, and telling me that I have the right to hunt the site anytime I want in the future.

Enough ramblings here's the quick digs.

Counter holed coin #18
20180427_144136.jpg20180427_191232.jpg
Grapes and wine pitcher pin
20180427_192927.jpg20180427_192952.jpg
A nice button with shank
20180427_160903.jpg
Huge Tombac button sadly broken, pewter spoon bowl, musket ball, toe tap, nose ring
20180427_193113.jpg
Cool knife blade and some glass, and things picked up to show proof to the owner if needed be.
I've seen this steel looped item in the past-please tell me if anyone knows.
20180427_193152.jpg

Upvote 21
Hi, I noticed you didnot correct the farmer for mocking some one behind their back ' Treehugger'. Gee the game quickly changed when your after something. Please stop preaching on Treasurenet . TP

The steel loop looks like the end of a cow chain to me .They used to have a chain to put around a cow's neck so they could fasten it to a hole made in the barn. When they where planning to milk the cow .The loop would turn sideways to go through the hole .I do not have a picture of one and it could be a part of a horse bit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back