Almost didn't get this permission-experience showed how.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did some mapping a while back and met what I thought was the land owner at a local historical fun raising event in the winter. I rechecked the maps before setting out yesterday and I was a little off, and that put the site onto another property. I stopped at the farm and nobody was around, then I returned later on in the day and zilch. I was parked down the road trying to decide if I was going to hunt, where to go for a quick hit, when this tractor goes by, I looked in the mirror and it turned into farm.
One quick turn around I was on him like a fly on a fresh turd pile. I had met him once before a few yrs prior, and were chatting when the brother came out-"Alpha Male" We bring up to date on the conversation, and I asked him about the site on the field over?

" You from the historical society?" After a simple "No"
He went on to "I had one guy taking pictures on the property last week, kicked his ass off! I hate these tree huggers! A man should be able to do this or that on his own property!
No argument from me I'm thinking - I just want to dig in your dirt man.
He states there wasn't a homesite on the field, as he's plowed, turned, tilled, planted many times-nope I was mistaken.
Ok I need to throw some ace cards onto the table, to trump his claims.
I threw out some bigger permission names close to him, and told him of sites on the properties that showed nothing to indicate a homestead.
He did a 180 and said "well you can have a look" But please don't go into the tree line as there's garbage and it's unsafe"

I was off to the spot faster than a light beam.
I only had less than an hour to detect now so I hot spotted around dug photo'd the digs.
I went back to the farm dropped a little note thanking him for letting me detect his land, and there was a homesite on the hill of the field.
I left a couple of ratchet straps there as well.
Last night I got a call from this nicest sounding guy, first thanking me for the note, thanking me for finding the site, thanking me for the two gifts, and telling me that I have the right to hunt the site anytime I want in the future.

Enough ramblings here's the quick digs.

Counter holed coin #18
20180427_144136.jpg20180427_191232.jpg
Grapes and wine pitcher pin
20180427_192927.jpg20180427_192952.jpg
A nice button with shank
20180427_160903.jpg
Huge Tombac button sadly broken, pewter spoon bowl, musket ball, toe tap, nose ring
20180427_193113.jpg
Cool knife blade and some glass, and things picked up to show proof to the owner if needed be.
I've seen this steel looped item in the past-please tell me if anyone knows.
20180427_193152.jpg

Upvote 21
Awesome read! Moral of the story....a little kindness goes a long way.

Congrats on those great finds. I'm sure you will be posting up more from there in the near future.

Great finds as usual buddy! :occasion14:
You certainly have a good relationship with the farmers in your area.

The '18' tag is interesting and I love the look of the Grapes & Pitcher Pin! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you on your return hunt,
Dave

Thank you for a great description of events, and well done on a great hunt!

Awesome read! Moral of the story....a little kindness goes a long way.

Congrats on those great finds. I'm sure you will be posting up more from there in the near future.

Thank you HighVDI

Just wanted to tell this permission story to those that would of just gone away accepting the farmers thoughts on the site.
When they say they don't remember "It's game on for me" as they didn't live there a 100-150yrs ago, so they just assume most times.

Nice job, that pin is great.

Nice trade off. He lets you on the property to metal detect and you leave him a thank you note, a gift, and a little history about his land. That’s nice. Congrats on a good day..

Great finds as usual buddy! :occasion14:
You certainly have a good relationship with the farmers in your area.

The '18' tag is interesting and I love the look of the Grapes & Pitcher Pin! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you on your return hunt,
Dave

Thanks Dave
The site is just a stones throw (well maybe a tad longer, Lol) from where you got the awesome token.

Great advice and nice finds

Thank you for a great description of events, and well done on a great hunt!

Thanks can_slaw

There's a bit more to the story.
The farmer said last night that his father grew up on the homestead across the road, and wanted to know about info from the old maps.
I try to show the history off to the landowner, and it sparks a sense of pride in many as bragging rights that they have old on their land.

Nice job, that pin is great.

Thanks Tpmetal
It's a first for this design, liking it a lot also.

You're getting in some very fine hunts in as well lately, all the best on your next outing.

Great finds. Looks like you won that guy over. I believe your 18 tag will be a livestock tag.

Nice trade off. He lets you on the property to metal detect and you leave him a thank you note, a gift, and a little history about his land. That’s nice. Congrats on a good day..

Thanks Hawk
I usually just drop the little gifts off after the fact, even a jar of maple syrup sweets them up on many occasion.
Best of luck on your next outing.

It's a small thing I do with most farmers as they care less about what a crazy man digs out in the fields. Digging out fencing wire-win-win for them. Giving them a little gift of appreciation has gone a long ways and farmer talk, the permissions are easy it seems. Another 250 acres I added to the growing number of acreage which is nearing 5000+ now in four yrs of being in the area.

GOT SOME FINE OLE SUNS A BEACHES THERE..

Way to go no the permission PJ. Looks like a promising site. I like that grapes brooch.

Good luck to you sir!

That sure is a very promising site and the landowner sounds like a really cool guy. I'm sure there's more nice relics at that spot. Congratulations and good luck on your future hunts!

I've seen this steel looped item in the past-please tell me if anyone knows.

I'm almost positive it's one side of a horse bit. I haven't seen one precisely like it before, but here's one that's close:

bit394.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back