Aethelred IIs penny?

Volos

Oct 12, 2007
Russia, Moscow region
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX+
Aethelred II's penny?

Good day!
My colleague has recently found this seems-to-be a silver penny of Aethelred II but I cannot find anywhere such a variety with double R in the king’s name on obv. [+EDEL’RREDREXAN] and X in the top left on the rev. A Scandinavian imitation? Reverse: +EDELRI M’O LVN Can LVN stand for Lund, Sweden ???
Can anyone help with this?
The coin was found in Russia. Unfortunately the weight is unknown.
Sear type #1152

Attachments

• penny.JPG
    penny.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 0
Thanks for that no actually it's on eBay but within the pictures I can't find anything to say this is a fake other than its in really good condition and the letters are really crisp

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Thanks for that no actually it's on eBay but within the pictures I can't find anything to say this is a fake other than its in really good condition and the letters are really crisp

I would check the sellers feedback if you intend buying it? there are a lot of good fakes out there.

SS

Upvote 0
The feedback is ok but I'm just not too sure on it as it looks too good to be true especially as it's over 1000 years old or so

Upvote 0
The feedback is ok but I'm just not too sure on it as it looks too good to be true especially as it's over 1000 years old or so

It's not a rare coin and they do come up in that good a condition...wouldn't pay more than £300 for that one, but I would have to see it first.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back