Adventures with the Deep Tech Vista X

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a little time out in the heat this afternoon comparing the Vista X to the Manticore. I have been using the Manticore with the M8 coil, so I put the 11" back on so it would be a fair comparison. The dog fences on either side of my property cause the Manticore to run really chatty above 15 sensitivity. I had both machines setup to hear both ferrous and non-ferrous. Manticore was all terrain general with all default factory settings. Vista X was setup with gain all the way up, threshold at 40, primary and secondary discrimination off.

So out I went with both machines and swung the Vista X, when I hit a tone, I checked with the Manticore. I did an area about 10 feet wide and 15 feet long which I call the dump. It's a spot in my side / back yard where the previous owners must have burned their trash. I have dug all the high tones from this area using the Manticore. I didn't dig anything today. The Manticore hit on every target the Vista X hit in that space. All the targets were 2-3 inches deep according to the Manticore. I had hits with both machines that had a high tone in one direction and low tone at 90 degrees.

I had hoped to get a bit deeper in my yard, but with those damn fences, I just don't think that'll happen. I'd need to open the threshold on the Vista X higher than 40, but it gets chatty that close to the fence above 40. I'm looking forward to getting to two other spots with little to no EMI to use the Vista X. I think factory default recovery speed is at 4 on the Manticore, the Vista X seemed faster.

All in all, I'm happy with the new machine. It definitely hits harder and deeper than the Manticore with the M8 coil. With the 11", they seem to be a good match. I'm going to keep posting here as my adventures with the Vista X continue.

When my Manticore gets chatty around high EMI I found it helps a lot by taking it out of multi frequency and running in a single frequency like 20 kHz. The Manticore will become less chatty and I'm able to take the sensitivity up.

Nice, same thing I end up doing with the WS6 Master. I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Wish it would cool down. Too hot to go out! 106 heat index here now.

Tried another location on Sunday (6-23-24). It was hot, so only spent an hour or so. I only had the Vista X, no other detector to compare signals. I've spent lots of time at this particular permission and I've hit the front and side yards pretty hard with every machine I've got. I normally find clad on every trip, however only two half zinclons today.

It seemed a bit more difficult Sunday to get the Vista X ground balanced. When I first turned it on, I had no iron tone. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I eventually got the iron tone back. Once ground balance was completed, the front and side yards seemed to come alive with signals. Lots of iron and high tones swinging one way and iron tone turned 90 degrees. I found more small aluminum bits than ever before. The Vista X seems to like small targets.

Besides the two half zinclons, I also dug a Matchbox car. Never found any of those in the front yard before. I also dug a couple pieces of iron of decent size. I haven't had time to get pics of the finds yet, I'll try to do that in the next day or two. I must say, the recovery speed on this machine is amazing. I picked the half zinclons out of an iron patch around the campfire ring. Oh, I was able to run the threshold higher at this location.

Next to this particular property is another permission with a bit more than an acre open space. I haven't found much at all in that portion of the property and was hoping the Vista X would allow me to get slightly deeper in that area. As with the other machines, there were no signals. I assume there is just nothing there to find. I'll spend more time there on a cooler day.

All in all, it was productive time spent. I found some interesting items missed before and learned more about my new machine.

P1001459_WM.jpg
P1001460_WM.jpg
P1001461_WM.jpg
P1001462_WM.jpg
P1001463_WM.jpg
P1001464_WM.jpg
P1001465_WM.jpg
P1001466_WM.jpg
P1001467_WM.jpg
P1001468_WM.jpg

Last edited:
Tried another location on Sunday (6-23-24). It was hot, so only spent an hour or so. I only had the Vista X, no other detector to compare signals. I've spent lots of time at this particular permission and I've hit the front and side yards pretty hard with every machine I've got. I normally find clad on every trip, however only two half zinclons today.

It seemed a bit more difficult Sunday to get the Vista X ground balanced. When I first turned it on, I had no iron tone. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I eventually got the iron tone back. Once ground balance was completed, the front and side yards seemed to come alive with signals. Lots of iron and high tones swinging one way and iron tone turned 90 degrees. I found more small aluminum bits than ever before. The Vista X seems to like small targets.

Besides the two half zinclons, I also dug a Matchbox car. Never found any of those in the front yard before. I also dug a couple pieces of iron of decent size. I haven't had time to get pics of the finds yet, I'll try to do that in the next day or two. I must say, the recovery speed on this machine is amazing. I picked the half zinclons out of an iron patch around the campfire ring. Oh, I was able to run the threshold higher at this location.

Next to this particular property is another permission with a bit more than an acre open space. I haven't found much at all in that portion of the property and was hoping the Vista X would allow me to get slightly deeper in that area. As with the other machines, there were no signals. I assume there is just nothing there to find. I'll spend more time there on a cooler day.

All in all, it was productive time spent. I found some interesting items missed before and learned more about my new machine.

View attachment 2156152View attachment 2156153View attachment 2156154View attachment 2156155View attachment 2156156View attachment 2156157View attachment 2156158View attachment 2156159View attachment 2156160View attachment 2156161
Do you have only one coil for your Vista X, or did my favorite coil on my Vista X is the 8 inch concentric coil, the 8 inch concentric gets good dept and works great in iron infested sites

Do you have only one coil for your Vista X, or did my favorite coil on my Vista X is the 8 inch concentric coil, the 8 inch concentric gets good dept and works great in iron infested sites
Yeah, only stock coil right now.

Yesterday I learned while in two tone mode if I turn the discrimination knob to the right, I can remove the high tone falsing while swinging over iron. Pretty sure there is only iron left in my yard. I had a couple signals that were high tones in two directions but scratchy. As I turned the discrimination knob to the right, a low tone started coming through. Upon digging, it sure was iron.

Finds from yesterday. Just trash, but it was something to find.

P1001469_WM-Resize.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back