Abex Bracelet from my Grandma - Anyone know anything about it??

dirt-y_girl

May 30, 2013
I recently inherited a lot of jewelry from my grandmother. So much of it is interesting to me, including this piece. I tried googling the word 'Abex' to see if I could get any info, but found nothing! I'm hoping someone may know something about it. On the clasp, there is a little sideways triangle and some writing, which I believe is mostly numbers, with maybe a few letters. Maybe a serial number? I tried taking pictures of it, but none of them came out legible :sadsmiley:

Any and all info is much appreciated!

Thanks!:cat: IMG_1540.JPGIMG_1538.JPGIMG_1537.JPGIMG_1533.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1530.JPGIMG_1529.JPG]

I agree with you . It's possibly not gold . I based my reply on "if it was" . And clasps ... I have seen 10K with similar and some are marked 10K on the clasp trigger , so it real hard to see but if it is gold it should be marked ... Woodstock .
I will throw in my 2cents lol, I agree with Surf and couple of other posters. I think it even looks like brass at first glance to me or very high karat. I also think the connecting ring looks wrong where the medallion is, they would have used a different clasp imo unless that part was added later. And like Cypress said most real gold is stamped. Hope I'm wrong and it's gold though good luck.

Upvote 0
Well then it could have been lost and then claimed after a period by your late mother . Looks very close for that hallmark that means GOLD . Woodstock
I wish she was still here to ask her, but, unfortunately, she's not, so that's why I'm here! Ill have to ask my dad about her other jobs. For the longest time, she was a receptionist at a doctors office, but who knows what she did when she was younger!

Upvote 0
I kind of want to change my mind lol, my new theory is gold plated chain and medallion (possibly brass) in which the little emblems are custom and added to generic chain medalion by a trophy shop, engraver or jeweler for companies to give to employees or whoever

Upvote 0
Woodstock, I wasn't disagreeing with your opinion, just stating my own.

That being said, my father worked for General Motors as a Millwright and in 1974 and they gave him a 18K gold Waltham 24 Jewel pocket watch with an 18K gold chain inscribed with his name and years of service which was at that time 32 years, he retired 3 years later at 35 years, this was after the price of gold had stop being regulated, the price of gold was around $150 to $160 an ounce, so I know that real gold was giving out as appreciation for working many years at the same job even after the price was deregulated, and this watch wasn't a small cheap trinket.

My brother-in-law was a salesman for an insurance company and they also gave out real gold trinkets to company executives for purchasing group policies for their employees.

My opinion on what the trinket maybe if it's gold or not is just my opinion based on personal family experience, and was not meant to take anything away from your opinion.

Upvote 0
AU Seeker ... when you explain it like this I can understand where you get your opinions . And General Motors then and now is a above average company with above average pay . If every blue collar worker had the same rate of pay then I'd agree with you 100% but being in the UAW and working for GM put your father at the top of the blue collar feed chain . This is what I thought I explained when I said "Wall Street" types . Your father in this case became a example of a "Wall Street" blue collar worker and made quite a bit more than the "Average" non-UAW employee . My late father worked Eaton-Yale & Towne and was in the UAW but still had a rate of pay and benefits less than your dad and also retired in 30 years .
And your brother-in-law was a Sales Executive (note the word "Executive") because that's who I said was given real gold pins and trinkets and even watches for service related goals . I can fully understand that a Executive Salesman can receive a solid gold anything if they land contracts that exceed company goals or expectations . But I still will hold fast on the fact that this isn't a common practise to give potential customers gold trinkets to get their business and your experiences are based on a 32 year relationship with GM and a Sales Executive , these are positions not many of us enjoyed . Most of our parents and most average blue collar workers worked for good pay in average company's not related to GM and these workers received what those companies could afford . I apologize if think I misunderstood your opinions but unlike yours mine are based on average blue collar workers working for average companys for average pay , and your experiences deal with blue collar workers that worked for above average companys .
And when you "level" the playing field to average , then gold wasn't cheap at all and it took a lot of saving up for those gold wedding rings and gifts . And the US is made from tons of companys smaller than your examples .
So now I can see where you developed your opinions and you can see how I developed mine . No harm was met and from what I read in your other post you did disagree and that's what I based my reply on . Your opinion ... like mine is an opinion . Yours is based on your experiences and mine on my own . I hope now that I explained my side and how I read yours that we can "agree to disagree" . Happy Trails to You and Everyone here on TreasureNet . Woodstock
Woodstock, I wasn't disagreeing with your opinion, just stating my own.

That being said, my father worked for General Motors as a Millwright and in 1974 and they gave him a 18K gold Waltham 24 Jewel pocket watch with an 18K gold chain inscribed with his name and years of service which was at that time 32 years, he retired 3 years later at 35 years, this was after the price of gold had stop being regulated, the price of gold was around $150 to $160 an ounce, so I know that real gold was giving out as appreciation for working many years at the same job even after the price was deregulated, and this watch wasn't a small cheap trinket.

My brother-in-law was a salesman for an insurance company and they also gave out real gold trinkets to company executives for purchasing group policies for their employees.

My opinion on what the trinket maybe if it's gold or not is just my opinion based on personal family experience, and was not meant to take anything away from your opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is my Grandfathers 12K 20 year pin from Mesta Machine Comapany with tiny ruby. Its a tad larger than a pea. He was a core maker.

I guess it depends on the company and the position.

Attachments

• MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back