Abex Bracelet from my Grandma - Anyone know anything about it??

dirt-y_girl

May 30, 2013
I recently inherited a lot of jewelry from my grandmother. So much of it is interesting to me, including this piece. I tried googling the word 'Abex' to see if I could get any info, but found nothing! I'm hoping someone may know something about it. On the clasp, there is a little sideways triangle and some writing, which I believe is mostly numbers, with maybe a few letters. Maybe a serial number? I tried taking pictures of it, but none of them came out legible :sadsmiley:

Any and all info is much appreciated!

Thanks!:cat: IMG_1540.JPGIMG_1538.JPGIMG_1537.JPGIMG_1533.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1530.JPGIMG_1529.JPG]

I just found this The Tiriangle is the Hallmark for Birmingham....Osage

Upvote 0
No just done a fast search between Tornados LOL I live in Oklahoma You might say i am now Surrounded.I think it is a pay back from the Indians ...Osage

Upvote 0
I think it matches the logo for this company that made brakes. Maybe some kind of promotional item..?

Abex Corporation ? Mesothelioma and Asbestos Exposure

Hmmm.. interesting! LOL The logos definitely match, but it seems odd that a brake company would have these bracelets for promotions, ya know?? I'm almost certain it's gold, and it does have some sort of number or something on the little clasp... Hmm...

Upvote 0
Hmmm.. interesting! LOL The logos definitely match, but it seems odd that a brake company would have these bracelets for promotions, ya know?? I'm almost certain it's gold, and it does have some sort of number or something on the little clasp... Hmm...

Hey dirt-y,

Abex was also a Brass Foundry. That could mean brass. I'm thinking it a company gift item, perhaps for years of service, or commemorating a high water moment in Abex history. You might have it and the chain tested.

"Abex Corporation

Founded: 1928
Years Operated: 1928-1978
Headquarters: Portsmouth, Virginia
Business: Originated as brass foundry and later produced asbestos brakes
Asbestos Trust: Yes
Bankruptcy Status: Filed in 2001"

abex-corporation.gif
Abex Corporation

Upvote 0
Many times company salesmen would give out items like this with their Logo to potential customers while trying to get them to buy their lines of products, that's my guess if it's brass, if it's gold it could still be a promotional product/gift to loyal current customers or an employee's long time service gift/award, but usually such an award would have text stating the years of employment, it could also be a retirement gift.

Upvote 0
I guess it's time to get a good magnifier. Until then take it to your local pawn/jeweler and let them look at the bracelet. The pendant doesn't look like PM to me. Usually gold or silver won't have a textured back and are usually marked somewhere. My guess is a promotional piece put on a good quality bracelet.

Upvote 0
Ok ... so you've all decided it from Apex Co. that makes vehicle brakes . But it seems the majority of members besides AU Seeker and I are on the right track with it's purpose .
It's not a salesman's trinket that helps him get a sale or a Apex Promotional item to give to various leads , at least I never heard of any company giving valuables out for either because that digs into profits BUT ...
It seems to be a anniversary gift for years of service . Now it doesn't have anything or any charm saying this because it was maybe given to a woman who was a secretary or accountant , even a blue collar worker . It maybe for just a few (2) years of service then every anniversary thereafter like 5 -10- year anniversaries adds a Charm to the bracelet , kind of like hashtags for the military . So just by looking at it at meetings or Christmas parties you can see the years of service that individual has with Apex . It's a Apex Charm Bracelet basicly .
That's what it looks like in my eyes and knowone knows who it originally was given too . If the mother worked for them or one of their satellite companies the member should know . But if it belonged to a close friend they might not , heck it could have been a Garage sale find ! I hope it's GOLD ! Woodstock

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Woodstock, in the not so distant past gold wasn't that expensive because of the set price fix by the government, a small gold trinket at the cost of $5 to $10 dollar wouldn't be much of a price to pay for a company looking to get a sale of thousands of dollars or to reward a customer that has purchased thousands of dollars of their product, IMHO, but that being said my opinion was just a guess if it was brass as to the origins of the piece, but in retrospect after posting a gold trinket wouldn't be too expensive to give as a promotion item before the price fix of gold was lifted.

Upvote 0

Some fancy brakes!!!! :-)

Upvote 0
Woodstock, in the not so distant past gold wasn't that expensive because of the set price fix by the government, a small gold trinket at the cost of $5 to $10 dollar wouldn't be much of a price to pay for a company looking to get a sale of thousands of dollars or to reward a customer that has purchased thousands of dollars of their product, IMHO, but that being said my opinion was just a guess if it was brass as to the origins of the piece, but in retrospect after posting a gold trinket wouldn't be too expensive to give as a promotion item before the price fix of gold was lifted.

I wish she was still here to ask her, but, unfortunately, she's not, so that's why I'm here! Ill have to ask my dad about her other jobs. For the longest time, she was a receptionist at a doctors office, but who knows what she did when she was younger!

Upvote 0
My guess would be that this was given to employees for a certain number of years service to the company.

Upvote 0
If its gold it should be marked with 10K, 12K 14K 18K etc, GF is Gold Filled.

Foreign gold might be marked with numbers.

Put it under a good light, you should be able to see it. If not use a magnifier or loupe.

Upvote 0
I will throw in my 2cents lol, I agree with Surf and couple of other posters. I think it even looks like brass at first glance to me or very high karat. I also think the connecting ring looks wrong where the medallion is, they would have used a different clasp imo unless that part was added later. And like Cypress said most real gold is stamped. Hope I'm wrong and it's gold though good luck.

Upvote 0
Well that very well may be ... so gold prices were low enough at one time , we didn't know the age of the piece so we can't say what the gold prices were . When I grew up gold was $35 a ounce , then in 1977 or 78 it soared to around $800 + and then settled down to $365 for many years till just recently .
In the early 70's if that "Charm" weighed say 3 grams it sounds like a bargain . Then times that by say 100 employees and it starts to climb , but still seems affordable . Move that charm to 1977-78 and the charms jumps to around $85 . Now times that by 100 and it;s not that cheap anymore . I've never seem any solid 10-14 or 18K watches given away for 25 years of service (unless you worked on Wall Street) but I have had 3 that were 10 gold filled , one was my dad's and the other found at thrift shops .
I've been a blue collar worker since 1971 and I earned $3.52 per hour running a punch press for GE Hotpoint and that was less than $150 per week and gold wasn't cheap . And in 1977 I averaged $9.50 per hour or $380 per week and gold still wasn't cheap . And for some great companies yet none of them gave solid gold anything for anytime of service . But you have your opinion like me and I respect you for it but gold has never been cheap and hasn't been because of it's standard . Now today you may look back and see how cheap it was ... but it really wasn't to a middle class blue collar worker . Flyers , business cards and phone calls/media mail was the way they got customers , maybe a Steak Knife set . But the did there best to reward for sales or service . Even back then large company's had a budget for promotional uses I agree but gold giveaways ? I doubt it . Too bad we have to disagree now when I agreed with you before . Best Regards to All and Happy Trails Too. Woodstock

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back