A very unexpected Revolutionary War button. Some cool relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a very unexpected find today. An early example of British 67th Regiment of foot Revolutionary War period button. The unusual part is that the Regiment itself didn't serve in North America at that period. After consulting Insignia of Independence (Troiani,Kochan) it seems like other examples of the 67th Regiment Revolutionary war buttons were found at Lake George N.Y. and in South Carolina. Also, I believe VMI Digger found a different pattern in February last year.

DSC_1222.JPGDSC_1204.JPGDSC_1224.JPG

It appears some man from the 67th Regiment of foot were drafted to serve in other regiments in the ill fated Burgoyne's Army during his march on rebellious colonies.

Additional info: 04/20/2017

Just received some very interesting info today from a gentlemen with extensive knowledge about Revolutionary War drafting (D.H.)

''About 80 men were drafted from the 67th Regiment of Foot in February 1776, to augment regiments going to Canada; all of the regiments that were on Burgoyne's campaign received large numbers of drafts like this. The muster rolls of the 67th Regiment do not enumerate which regiments the men went into, except for one company roll that indicates all of the drafts went into the 20th Regiment. From other sources, I know that all of the drafts from the 11th Regiment went into the 62nd Regiment, and all of those from the 32nd Regiment went into the 9th Regiment, so I assume that all of those from the 67th went into the 20th''.

Again, it does not prouve 100% that the button was dropped by the soldier himself but it's a solid proof I believe that at least 80 of them participated in the Burgoyne's campaign.

Very cool and unusual find to say the least.

I also include the pics of other relics found.

Possible musket parts.

Cuivre.JPG

Victorian 5 Cents coin 1874

5 Cents B.JPG5 Cents.JPG

Early Victorian glass button.

DSC_1189.JPGButton.JPGButton 2.JPG

Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

• DSC_1207.JPG
    DSC_1207.JPG
    669.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Button.jpg