A very unexpected Revolutionary War button. Some cool relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a very unexpected find today. An early example of British 67th Regiment of foot Revolutionary War period button. The unusual part is that the Regiment itself didn't serve in North America at that period. After consulting Insignia of Independence (Troiani,Kochan) it seems like other examples of the 67th Regiment Revolutionary war buttons were found at Lake George N.Y. and in South Carolina. Also, I believe VMI Digger found a different pattern in February last year.

DSC_1222.JPGDSC_1204.JPGDSC_1224.JPG

It appears some man from the 67th Regiment of foot were drafted to serve in other regiments in the ill fated Burgoyne's Army during his march on rebellious colonies.

Additional info: 04/20/2017

Just received some very interesting info today from a gentlemen with extensive knowledge about Revolutionary War drafting (D.H.)

''About 80 men were drafted from the 67th Regiment of Foot in February 1776, to augment regiments going to Canada; all of the regiments that were on Burgoyne's campaign received large numbers of drafts like this. The muster rolls of the 67th Regiment do not enumerate which regiments the men went into, except for one company roll that indicates all of the drafts went into the 20th Regiment. From other sources, I know that all of the drafts from the 11th Regiment went into the 62nd Regiment, and all of those from the 32nd Regiment went into the 9th Regiment, so I assume that all of those from the 67th went into the 20th''.

Again, it does not prouve 100% that the button was dropped by the soldier himself but it's a solid proof I believe that at least 80 of them participated in the Burgoyne's campaign.

Very cool and unusual find to say the least.

I also include the pics of other relics found.

Possible musket parts.

Cuivre.JPG

Victorian 5 Cents coin 1874

5 Cents B.JPG5 Cents.JPG

Early Victorian glass button.

DSC_1189.JPGButton.JPGButton 2.JPG

Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

• DSC_1207.JPG
    DSC_1207.JPG
    669.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Button.jpg
    Button.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 44
Wrong period for the button unless they had a 70+ year old one!

Yes I agree, wouldn't make sense for someone to still carry them around 70 years later. Especially knowing that the regiment in question changed it's buttons design at least 2 times between the periods mentioned. And having seen how fragile the shanks are on those types of pewters I wouldn't think it to be physically possible.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, wouldn't make sense for someone to still carry them around 70 years later. Especially knowing that the regiment in question changed it's buttons design at least 2 times between the periods mentioned. And having seen how fragile the shanks are on those types of pewters I wouldn't think it to be physically possible.

1770s or 80s issued buttons worn in the war of 1812 is one thing, but 1840s is quite another. I think there's about a 10,000 times better chance it was lost before the Rev War vs in 1840s.

Just received some very interesting info today from a gentlemen with extensive knowledge about Revolutionary War drafting (D.H.)

''About 80 men were drafted from the 67th Regiment of Foot in February 1776, to augment regiments going to Canada; all of the regiments that were on Burgoyne's campaign received large numbers of drafts like this. The muster rolls of the 67th Regiment do not enumerate which regiments the men went into, except for one company roll that indicates all of the drafts went into the 20th Regiment. From other sources, I know that all of the drafts from the 11th Regiment went into the 62nd Regiment, and all of those from the 32nd Regiment went into the 9th Regiment, so I assume that all of those from the 67th went into the 20th''.

Again, it does not prouve 100% that the button was dropped by the soldier himself but it's a solid proof I believe that at least 80 of them participated in the Burgoyne's campaign.

Last edited:
First of all it is the exact right style of button for 1776-1777. All of the new clothing for Burgoyne's Army for the year 1777 was captured by the Americans at sea so they had to do the Saratoga campaign in the one year old 1776 uniforms which they shortened and used the extra cloth to repair the jackets. Therefore , the 80 men from the 67th drafted into Burgoyne's forces would not have new uniforms available for their new regimental assignments and had to wear their own uniforms. This accounts for buttons of the drafted men 13th, 25th and 36th also found on Burgoyne campsites. Although the 67th did not officially serve here 80 men did which makes this a true artifact of the Revolution as much as a button of any other regiment. It's pretty cut and dry and well documented.

First of all it is the exact right style of button for 1776-1777. All of the new clothing for Burgoyne's Army for the year 1777 was captured by the Americans at sea so they had to do the Saratoga campaign in the one year old 1776 uniforms which they shortened and used the extra cloth to repair the jackets. Therefore , the 80 men from the 67th drafted into Burgoyne's forces would not have new uniforms available for their new regimental assignments and had to wear their own uniforms. This accounts for buttons of the drafted men 13th, 25th and 36th also found on Burgoyne campsites. Although the 67th did not officially serve here 80 men did which makes this a true artifact of the Revolution as much as a button of any other regiment. It's pretty cut and dry and well documented.

Thank you for the great info!

Super button. Not to often a 1874 vicky fish scale can just be casually thrown in the post with the leftovers! Haha

Nice contribution, Vonrall. What a great education this button has given.

Super button. Not to often a 1874 vicky fish scale can just be casually thrown in the post with the leftovers! Haha

An 1874 yes... not that interesting... an 1875 not so much.

Great history on the button!

every good find deserves a good story to go with it

so if the story is unfolding to include soldiers from regiments not listed before....the sequel should be interesting!

if only the finds could say more for themselves....it said enough for me, it said "I'm awesome"

Based on the contribution this button makes to a deeper understanding of the composition of Burgoyne's forces in Montreal prior to their taking of Fort Ticonderoga, I'm voting banner.

Vonrall, it would be fantastic to have some primary or secondary references if you could post them.

Super Duper Coolness on that recovery. Excellent research as well to validate the Way Cool button. Finds like this only add fuel to the fire down below in capturing even more cool old treasures. I hope you get some more wonderful stuff mate.

An 1874 yes... not that interesting... an 1875 not so much.

Great history on the button!

I seem to be on a not finding old silver curse right now. Id love to find one of those right now! HaHa

every good find deserves a good story to go with it

so if the story is unfolding to include soldiers from regiments not listed before....the sequel should be interesting!

if only the finds could say more for themselves....it said enough for me, it said "I'm awesome"

Yes indeed. A very interesting development. Thanks for the comment!

I seem to be on a not finding old silver curse right now. Id love to find one of those right now! HaHa

Don't think there's anyone who sucks at silver as much as I do... but at least most of what I don't get I don't care about. :laughing7: I think of it as saving it up for a great one!

Based on the contribution this button makes to a deeper understanding of the composition of Burgoyne's forces in Montreal prior to their taking of Fort Ticonderoga, I'm voting banner.

Vonrall, it would be fantastic to have some primary or secondary references if you could post them.

Thank you Ken. It won't happen though, I have a banner curse since I joined the forum :-) But I totally agree with you, it gives a better understanding of the composition of Burgoyne's Army and the parts of it often forgotten about.

Last edited:
Fantastic button! Congrats. -Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back