A spill that was, then wasn't, then was again...

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to my permission today to continue my experiment.

As I hit my first target, the owners drove in. We exchanged pleasantries, they went in, and I started to dig the plug.

When I pulled the plug out, I couldn't believe my eyes. There were 3 "coins" stacked together on edge staring up at me, and several of their buddies scattered about the hole. "Holy [fill in the blank], I found a coin spill," I thought, "and a decent one too!" Then I thought, "This would be a good opportunity to bring the owners in on," so I went to the door and asked if they wanted to see a coin spill in situ. One said, "Sure," so we went out together to see what I'd found.

We pulled out several coins, and the owner said, "This one's got a hole in it." My heart sank. Washers. 😡 I was apologizing for the false alarm when she added, "...and some writing." (Writing on a washer )

She continued, "It says, 'Good for...'" I stopped her right there. "We've got a spill of advertising tokens!" I cried, "UNREAL!"
There were 9 in total--ALL DIFFERENT!

All are non-magnetic, so... brass? Most are in excellent condition, considering. A couple have very small corrosion spots.
1718468899250.jpeg

Six of them have unique serial numbers. Some are "GOOD FOR 5¢ IN TRADE", some are "GOOD FOR ONE PACKAGE OF MINTS" One says "ADVERTISING PURITY MINTS" and another advertises the company that made the tokens: "MACHINES RENTED ** MINTS SUPPLIED" and "TILLITSON SPECIALTY CO. AURORA ILL."

One (PURITY MINTS) has an octagonal hole; the rest are round.
1718470060949.jpeg

I was able to find images (not mine) of the PURITY token:
1718471754924.png

1718471786467.png

I haven't been able to find when these tokens might have been mfd./used.
I suspect they're early 20th C. (Depression era?), but IDK for sure.
Anyone have any more info.? Thanks.

Upvote 28
Thanks! Ever since I recognized what they were, I've been wondering how they got there. 🤔

I'm thinking that there's probably a story there...
Maybe a pretty good one! 🤗 (Not that I'll ever know. 🙁) 🤣🤣🤣

As I hit my first target, the owners drove in. We exchanged pleasantries, they went in, and I started to dig the plug.

When I pulled the plug out, I couldn't believe my eyes. There were 3 "coins" stacked together on edge staring up at me, and several of their buddies scattered about the hole. "Holy [fill in the blank], I found a coin spill," I thought, "and a decent one too!" Then I thought, "This would be a good opportunity to bring the owners in on," so I went to the door and asked if they wanted to see a coin spill in situ. One said, "Sure," so we went out together to see what I'd found.

We pulled out several coins, and the owner said, "This one's got a hole in it." My heart sank. Washers. 😡 I was apologizing for the false alarm when she added, "...and some writing." (Writing on a washer )

She continued, "It says, 'Good for...'" I stopped her right there. "We've got a spill of advertising tokens!" I cried, "UNREAL!"

All are non-magnetic, so... brass? Most are in excellent condition, considering. A couple have very small corrosion spots.
View attachment 2154175
Six of them have unique serial numbers. Some are "GOOD FOR 5¢ IN TRADE", some are "GOOD FOR ONE PACKAGE OF MINTS" One says "ADVERTISING PURITY MINTS" and another advertises the company that made the tokens: "MACHINES RENTED ** MINTS SUPPLIED" and "TILLITSON SPECIALTY CO. AURORA ILL."

View attachment 2154179

View attachment 2154215
View attachment 2154216

I think those are from an early version of a slot machine, don't remember the name. really cool spill whatever they are

Trade stimulator tokens. I believe yours date to the 1920's. Here's a link about stimulators you might like to read. About half way down the page a token is shown that says "ginger" on one side and "good for 1 pack of cigarettes" on the other. I found about a dozen of those in the yard of a house we rented when me and my wife first got married.

I think those are from an early version of a slot machine, don't remember the name. really cool spill whatever they are
Thanks. I've seen some of those references, but haven't yet found anything more definitive.

There may be something in one or more of the various books on advertising tokens. I found mentions in a couple of them, but again, no dates.

Trade stimulator tokens. I believe yours date to the 1920's. Here's a link about stimulators you might like to read. About half way down the page a token is shown that says "ginger" on one side and "good for 1 pack of cigarettes" on the other. I found about a dozen of those in the yard of a house we rented when me and my wife first got married.

I was coming to that conclusion on my own. The gambling element suggests the roaring twenties (Prohibition) rather than Depression era. I found mention of some kind of patent issued to the company in 1925. That doesn't mean anything except that they were probably (still) in business that year, but it's more than I had.

Unfortunately, the article is more about the machines than the tokens.

Nice finds GREAT Pictures :)

View attachment 2154175

View attachment 2154179

View attachment 2154215
View attachment 2154216

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That's a cool recovery.
I don't get hardly any type of advertising tokens.
Here is a great website that has most tokens listed.
Just scroll down and in the search engine you have to put exactly what is on the one side.
Caps, periods, *$%.

Good find; the only tokens I find are for Chucky Cheese..:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I have no desire to sit and eat pizza in the midst of 200 screaming kids that are playing video games...

That's a cool recovery.
I don't get hardly any type of advertising tokens.
Here is a great website that has most tokens listed.
Just scroll down and in the search engine you have to put exactly what is on the one side.
Caps, periods, *$%.

Good resource--Thanks! 🙂

I found the Purity Mints token--just cataloged--no date, origin, or other real info.

Didn't find "TILLITSON SPECIALTY CO. AURORA ILL." or "MACHINES RENTED ** MINTS SUPPLIED" but it did spit out a possible lead (book).

Some of the other phrases were so common they turned up many, but alas, no info. 😔

The search continues.... 🤓

#10 FOUND!​

While running errands yesterday, the Missus found a "washer" on the floor of the car on the driver's side.

Yup, it turned out to be token #10 I must have dropped/lost while examining them. It's another "GOOD FOR ONE PACKAGE OF MINTS" with a unique serial # on the reverse. This one is in a little rougher shape (corrosion) than the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back