A relic day. A odd one turned up.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey guys, The wife came home from work early today so I knew I would go out for awhile. Me and my son went back to my old Favorite park. It's hit good but I'm trying to just keep hitting it year after year till there isn't a target left. No coins other than one quarter and a 46 nickle. We were only out for a couple hrs with the heat near a 100.

I got a solid hit under a large tree after about five minutes of hunting. I found the small buckle you see in the picture. I then got another silver dollar reading about 6 inches away at the base of the tree almost. I dug down about 10 to 12 inches and out popped this heavy square. I thought it was a huge lock without the top part. I came home and toothbrushed it off. It looked like something was on it. I scanned it and seen the image better. It looks like a dragon on it. I guess it is a paper weight. It is really heavy. It may even be home made carved out of lead.

Let me know what you all think. Other than that it was slow for coins but I expect that. It still gives up it's coins when it wants to.

Good luck Jer

Attachments

• A relic Day.jpg
    A relic Day.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 923
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. This is a great site for identification. I appreciate the extra hundreds of eye's who will help look over my finds and tell me more. It is definitely a mickey mouse. He appears to be holding a cane and It is hard to tell what else he may be possing as. I still am wondering what exactly this thing was used for. Don't know if it was home made or was actually a important piece to some equipment that was used to make something out of. I'll hold onto it and add it to the others. It's not something you seem to find everyday. Don't ever throw anything away while out in the field. This thing was heavy to be carring around in my pouch while I was out. It could have been easily discarded as a hunk of lead by someone else.

Thanks again Jeremy

GREAT FIND!!!!

I know there is quite a market for Mickey Mouse memorabilia. If you could date it and find out it's origin, you could be setting on a nice little piece of change. I not into they Mickey/Disney memorabilia myself, but I have seen what those "original cells" auction for and they don't go cheap. I would be worth investigating anyway. Remember, when it comes to collecting freaks, the rarer or odder the item.. the more it usually costs.

Chris Reynolds
Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN

I thought the same thing. The memorabilia on Disney stuff comands a nice dollar. I have really know idea exactly to what this thing was used for. I don't know if it was home made or a actual piece used to distribute something. When it got worn down maybe it was given to one of the kids in the family. I did see some old mickey mouse stuff from the late 20's. I didn't know he was even that old. I saw stuff like a bottle cap with him on it going for over 200.00.

I'll hold onto it along with all the other things I have. When I feal I have enough stuff I want to have it all appraised. Maybe then is when I will find out more about some of the things I have.

Thanks for all the idea's and support you all give me.

Good Luck Jeremy

Just for future reference, Jer. Mickey wore that boater hat in the cartoon "Nifty Nineties" from 1941.

That helps alot. And that is something I didn't know. Helps give me a idea now of the age.

Thanks for your help.

HH Jeremy

New pic attached. This is the way it should look now that it has been identified. It looks to have 2 slight hammer damage marks to the middle of it. I'm not sure why it's there. Maybe it was a way of damaging a no longer good die. Put a few marks in it so no one else could try and reproduce it. Then may have been given to someone. Maybe dad brought it home from work. Hope you all can see it now. He is holding a cane and looks like some kind of bag. Not sure it's old and has some wear.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Mickey Mouse.jpg
    Mickey Mouse.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 442
That is really neat jer,WTG!!

On the right of Mickey I see a kangaroo looking animal jumping in front of him. I can make out two small eyes an ear and his nose....or am I getting weird again? JIM

WHAT I SEE

Attachments

• Copy (2) of test.jpg
    Copy (2) of test.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Copy (4) of test.jpg
    Copy (4) of test.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 334
  • Copy (3) of test.jpg
    Copy (3) of test.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 345
  • Copy of test.jpg
    Copy of test.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 336
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 341
  • test5.jpg
    test5.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 342
As you see I'm not good in Paint

Attachments

• testpaint.jpg
    testpaint.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 283
No but you did a damn good job of helping out overall. I was able to look at all those cool picks you were able to translate them. Your drawings got the point across alot better. Was able to see more than I did before. Like I said the very middle of the item has what it looks like 2 hammer marks. I don't know if they were supposed to be there or got damaged.

I appreciate the time you took to do all of that. You have any ideas what this thing is. Maybe have some historic value as far as Disney goes. Maybe it was some type of old printing plate they used to manufacture something.

It's a cool relic and something you don't come across all the time. It's these types of finds with stories behind them that make this hobby really interesting.

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone.

HH Jeremy

Are you Talking about These as the Hammer Marks ?

Are you ABSOLUTELY shue their hammer Marks & not a Cape, or Jacket, blowing While He rides his Bike ?

I suppose it could be some type of old PLAY DOUGH Stamp, TIN TYPE STAMP, or Printers Block.

Absolutely no Idea, But Definately Cool. I doubt very much it's natural & we are just Imagining
The Design. TOO MANY DETAILS, but I cant make out whats Behind him.
other then it looks Sorta like a Car popping a Wheelie at times. ;D

Attachments

• retry1.jpg
    retry1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 286
Cool find and great someone figured out what it was! HH, Mike

I think you should be able to see different images, as you look at if from all 4 sides.
Had one once when I was a kid, however i remember it being wooden.

I think Mickey is riding a bike, ringing some bells, has a Wiccan candle in his hand and is getting chased by a giant lobster.

Jimmileo, say again would imply that you had stopped at some point...just kidding.

BTW, I really think it is great the way everyone comes together on something like this. Makes it nice to be part of the group.

JER. AFTER REALY STUDING YOUR RUBBING.I THINK WHAT WERE LOOKING AT IS MICKEY MOUSE ONE MAN BAND. FOR SOME REASON I REMEBER THAT BACK IN THE DAY.NOT THAT IM THAT OLD.

Now that you have the front figured out , it kinda looks like a golf bag and clubs on his back and that rings a bell somewhere in my head .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back