A relic day. A odd one turned up.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey guys, The wife came home from work early today so I knew I would go out for awhile. Me and my son went back to my old Favorite park. It's hit good but I'm trying to just keep hitting it year after year till there isn't a target left. No coins other than one quarter and a 46 nickle. We were only out for a couple hrs with the heat near a 100.

I got a solid hit under a large tree after about five minutes of hunting. I found the small buckle you see in the picture. I then got another silver dollar reading about 6 inches away at the base of the tree almost. I dug down about 10 to 12 inches and out popped this heavy square. I thought it was a huge lock without the top part. I came home and toothbrushed it off. It looked like something was on it. I scanned it and seen the image better. It looks like a dragon on it. I guess it is a paper weight. It is really heavy. It may even be home made carved out of lead.

Let me know what you all think. Other than that it was slow for coins but I expect that. It still gives up it's coins when it wants to.

Good luck Jer

Attachments

• A relic Day.jpg
    A relic Day.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 923
Upvote 0
Here it is cleaned up some more. Looks to be home made but I could be wrong. It weighs about 2 pounds. My best guess is a old paper weight. But what would it be doing in a park woods. It would have made one hell of a weapon. May even have been used as one. The rest of it is blank on all the other sides. Just strange to me.

Thanks for the replies and idea's guys. HH Jer

Attachments

• Weight Cleaned.jpg
    Weight Cleaned.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 871
Ink it up and see what it prints. It's probably some kind of printing block as the old linotype presses used lead print. What you are looking at is probably a reverse image of what it will print. Oh, and post a picture of whatever it is! JIM

jimmileo said:
Ink it up and see what it prints.? It's probably some kind of printing block as the old linotype presses used lead print.? What you are looking at is probably a reverse image of what it will print.? Oh, and post a picture of whatever it is!? JIM

Jim,
You took the words right out of my mouth. looks like a printing plate to me.

That wonderful printing block appears to depict Merlin (or Taliesin). It is Irish traditional in origin, and showes him turning into a salmon. If you do the rubbing look for a bird and a rabbit, too.
I'm thinking this might have been used to make book plates (for inside the cover) there may be a smooth part to the lower center for signing one's name. The other alternative could be quite different, however.

It may have been buried for ceremonial purposes, too, though - seeing it was buried at the base of a tree.
You may just have found a tree sacred to a local group of wiccans. If you wish to keep it, the proper ceremony would be to expose it to a candle flame, a fumigatory incense, and a sprinkiling of salt water. (That is, if you're superstitious.) ?;D

Lovely, lovely find.

cool finds Jer

hh

Lonewolfe

Thanks for all the replies and idea's everyone. I did a rubbing of it. Not the best but gives me a better idea of what is on this thing. I didn't have any ink so I couldn't stamp it. It still looks like some kind of funny dragon to me. But not sure.

Hey rangergal thanks for the good info about this item. Do you know for sure what this thing is. It's a good guess one way or another. A age would be cool to know. You don't find new stuff in this park. It's heavily used but more old coins have been found than new. It's a shock to dig a regular penny than a wheat or Indian.

Also what is the wiccans. I'm not superstitious but don't need my good luck leaving any time. Thanks for your time and help.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Weight Cleaned 1.jpg
    Weight Cleaned 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 696
I don't think it is a printing block nore do I think it is a wiccan ceremonial peice. I am almost 100% sure that is a cut off peice of a heavy grade hunk of steal. Most likely comming from a steal sculpture of some type and time and cut to be removed.

HH!!

Hey, Jer, how come I see a picture of Mickey Mouse when I turn it up-side-down? In the left hand corner, I see Mickey wearing a boater hat. I also see cartoony type of airplane.

By the way, if you empty your mailbox, I have more annoying DFX questions for you! :P

Attachments

• index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 651
Hey Haupin, Your right. That was a nice spot by you. I think you are correct. He appears to be wearing a hat and I will have to look at it further. I am grilling chicken right now and my boys are tearing up the place for a moment. I will empty my box. I was wondering why I haven't got any pm's in awhile.

HH Jer

In the first tracing, you can see "Howdy Duty"......I know Who is "Howdy Duty"?.....You younger ones wont know.....lol

"doody" Actually?

Not that I'm old enough to remember him

or "Buffalo Bob"?;D

haupin said:
In the left hand corner, I see Mickey wearing a boater hat.
Dang haupin, good eye! If you rotate it 90 degrees to the right ol' Mick's standing ringing a bell with one hand and holding a baton with the other. Funny what different people see in the same image.

Kent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back