Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen where several have complained about the Nox being a little nose heavy. now I know that most of you younger ones will feel that it is not but some of the older ones really notice something like this. My question is what exactly is the "better" shape for the shaft for the nox? more like a weedeater? curved downward? I could see where turning some coil designs 180 degrees might would change the weight impact a little bit. just wondering. thanks DL

Use a vise and a pipe bender. An "S" shaft would have made more sense and a 9" loop with bigger loops as an additional buy.

hey, if I have to, I will take another tube and make something work. Don't worry, wouldn't do anything to the original shaft. :laughing7:

If you have been swinging a heavier detector for a long time (me...Garrett GTI 2500 at nearly 5lbs), you will NOT notice any nose heaviness or imbalance with the Nox. It is an absolute PLEASURE to swing, and nose heaviness is not an issue if, like me, you swing closer to your feet, instead of reaching out. My $.02

I extend my detector shafts as far as possible to get the widest swing and go SLOW. Works better than snake oil.

If you have been swinging a heavier detector for a long time (me...Garrett GTI 2500 at nearly 5lbs), you will NOT notice any nose heaviness or imbalance with the Nox. It is an absolute PLEASURE to swing, and nose heaviness is not an issue if, like me, you swing closer to your feet, instead of reaching out. My $.02

I can see where you wouldn't notice it but I went to the Deus because of my back and shoulder (partial tear.)

I extend my detector shafts as far as possible to get the widest swing and go SLOW. Works better than snake oil.

I pretty much use the detectors extended out as far as they will go now. could even use another couple of inches on the Deus to get where my back is happy

"A question about shaft improvement "... ?

I think they have pills for that. :P

"A question about shaft improvement "... ?

I think they have pills for that. :P

not always, sometimes they don't work either

I like the stright shaft on my 800, find it easier to swing than the S shaft on my AT, and At Max. I'm old guy 71 and do not feel the Nox is noise heavy, guess I may be in better than some old guys LOL.

The Tesoro "S" shafts will work. Almost an exact fit. I have not swung one with that configuration, but it might help.

I've seen where several have complained about the Nox being a little nose heavy. now I know that most of you younger ones will feel that it is not but some of the older ones really notice something like this. My question is what exactly is the "better" shape for the shaft for the nox? more like a weedeater? curved downward? I could see where turning some coil designs 180 degrees might would change the weight impact a little bit. just wondering. thanks DL

dirtlooter, looking forward to what you come up with.

this is how I would like to solve the shaft problem.

I will buy a second wireless headset, bind both to the eq800, that will allow me to hire a sherpa to swing my eq800 and follow him on a donkey, sipping brandy with a umbrella shading me from the hot sun, and I will throw a pebble at him every time I want him to dig a target I like.The day will be over when the brandy is gone or the donkey gets tired....come on lottery numbers...:laughing7:

There is no change you can make to the shape of the detector rod that will do anything for the "nose heavy" feel. Thats all in properly adjusting the length. If you run the length of the EQX all the way, then of course you are going to feel it in your arm.

The nox is slightly nose heavy, maybe add a neoprene cover on the arm rest or mount your carrot to the end. Does anyone know when an aftermarket shaft will be available... ie Anderson?

The nox is slightly nose heavy, maybe add a neoprene cover on the arm rest or mount your carrot to the end. Does anyone know when an aftermarket shaft will be available... ie Anderson?
i believe There available now... Anderson and plugger are both making them for the equinox..

Well don’t wait on Minelab. Perdition will freeze over first.

When I swang my AT with the stock coil, it would get to my elbow. I have no problem swinging the EQ at all. I'm 60, I guess it's different for everyone.

Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest section of rod made out of? Also, does the rod on everyone else's Equinox have high and low rings running down the length of the rod?

Just out of curiosity, what is the lowest section of rod made out of? Also, does the rod on everyone else's Equinox have high and low rings running down the length of the rod?

Kinda confused with your question. Lower rod appears to be a carbon fiber wrapped poly tube. high and low rings? lost me there.

After swing the AT with the 13" NEL anything would be a relief. I'll swing it 3 to 4 hrs.and I'm whooped unless I'm finding stuff. Seriously looking at the XP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back