A Little More Silver In Spite of a Confrontation With a Very ANGRY Woman.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit one of my standby sports fields this afternoon for a few hours. Not long into the hunt a very unattractive woman with a bad attitude and her little dog approached me in a very rude and angry way. The dog seemed cool but she sure didn't. She got all up in my face and started hurling false accusations at me before I could even say a word.

She accused me of digging holes so big that when she "walk over one" "she sink" (her words not mine). I've never once seen that woman anywhere near that field in all the times I've been there. I'm not convinced she could even make it across that field. She wasn't exactly the athletic type if you get my drift.

After POLITELY informing her that I'm very good at what I do and never leave holes in any field to no avail, I reached into my wallet, pulled out a 50 dollar bill and told her if she could find just ONE hole in that field left by me it was hers, no questions asked.

She declined my challenge as expected. I pride myself on digging neat plugs and carefully replacing them so you can't even tell. If it's too dry I don't dig; period. I always respect the field and try to leave it better than I found it.

After listening to her whine a little more I finally told her that we both know she's lying, that she never sunk in any holes and that I would appreciate her minding her business and I'll mind mine, just as I was before she tried to pick a fight with me. I said if she has a problem with that she's welcome to call the cops and I'd be more than happy to discuss the situation with both she and them.

I also informed her of the HUGE amount of trash I've gotten off of the field including large hunks of glass, huge nails and other sharp metal debris, thus preventing potential accidents and injuries to the kids who play there. Then I smiled, bid her goodbye, wished her a nice evening and walked away. Apparently that was the end of that because no cops showed up.

She was SO rude. I'm the nicest guy in the world but I don't take any crap off of anybody; especially when I haven't done a damn thing wrong.

I talk to many people on that field all the time and everyone gets along just fine. I let the little kids follow me around and give them coins I dig up. It only takes one busybody to start unnecessary trouble.

So anyway, I went back to my hunt and after digging another pile of clad and trash, I got a nice high hit and dug up a little silver piece with the letter "M" on it (or "W", depending on which way you look at it). Not two minutes later about 5 feet away I dug up another one with the letter "C", one marked "Ale S.925" and the other .925.

I looked up the marks and apparently this is Pandora Jewelry and the "ALE" stands for "Algot Enevoldsen", the father of Per Enevoldsen, founder of Pandora Jewelry (according to their website). Their stuff looks pretty pricey from what I've seen so far.

Tiny .925 Silver Letters Aug. 15 2015 002.JPG Tiny .925 Silver Letters Aug. 15 2015 003.JPG

These things look like they were either part of a necklace or bracelet. They're small but nice and heavy. They definitely saved the hunt today and I'm real happy with them. I looked around for more but they were nowhere to be found. I was hoping whoever lost them had a really long name.

Then there was the clad; the oldest coin being a 1962 penny and a flower hairpin :

Tiny .925 Silver Letters Aug. 15 2015 001.JPG

Overall, a pretty good little hunt in spite of the unfortunate episode with the angry woman. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I've had a few minor incidents but this is the first time anyone just started jumping all over me out of the blue like that.

Thanks for lookin' & HH

Last edited:
Upvote 29
neat finds, just an angry jealous woman trying to rain on your parade

Congrats on the nice hunt and those 2 silvers. You sure did handle that woman nicely. Some women control their home only to wish they could control the world. What ever happened to "live and let live"?

that is what bear spray is for..:laughing7:..glad you kept yer cool

Nice finds despite all the "flak" you had to negotiate, but sounds like you handled the situation well. Some of my best finds turned up shortly after running into people with extreme prejudice towards my detecting activities. Once they've blown their top they run out of steam and as their rant fades I continue my coil swinging. Cheers!!

A good hunt.
Congrats on the silver!
Them squirrels will chatter at ya sometimes.

Congrats on the finds and the handling of the woman. I've had the police called on me once, they didn't even have the nuggets to talk to me first. The officer pulled up, took a look and said "I'll go educate them about the law concerning this" and thanked me for cleaning the area when he saw my "trash can" full.

Congrats on the finds and the handling of the woman. I've had the police called on me once, they didn't even have the nuggets to talk to me first. The officer pulled up, took a look and said "I'll go educate them about the law concerning this" and thanked me for cleaning the area when he saw my "trash can" full.

Yeah, it's good to have a nice pile of trash in your pouch just in case.
I emptied mine twice during today's hunt. That can slaw can take up quite a bit of space.

That field almost always gives up something but usually only after digging lots of junk. It's been very good to me and is always being replenished. It gets lots of use.

Last edited:
I think you handled the situation very well! I have been approached by my share of nut jobs too over the years and let's just say I have tended to be less diplomatic in these situations. :laughing7:

I think you handled the situation very well! I have been approached by my share of nut jobs too over the years and let's just say I have tended to be less diplomatic in these situations. :laughing7:

Had she kept it up much longer I'm not sure I would have kept as cool as I did.

I'm REALLY glad she didn't take me up on the $50 challenge.

She may have actually sunk in that field and then blamed me and grabbed the money.

Had I had a smaller bill on me I would have offered that; say, a 10 or a 20.

Last edited:
The size of your bet should always be inversely proportional to the size of the woman--based on your description and the image painted in my mind's eye, it should like you should have bet her a quarter :laughing7:

Honestly, the debate is not even worth one's time--I would have just told her to mind her own business then just walked away. There's an old proverb that when you argue with a fool you always lose. :tongue3:

There's an old proverb that when you argue with a fool you always lose. :tongue3:

I will always remember that from now on.

I REALLY like that one.

Congrats on the silver charms.
People must feel safe around me because they never say anything to the crackheads and beer drinkers that urinate in the park. Anybody ever dig a Corona bottle cap?
I wonder if she picks up after her dog.

Good job Garrett. Not sure I could have been so diplomatic with the busybody. It ruins the day to have someone like that show up.

That's a pretty lame situation. Her ex husband probably detected or something completely negative unrelated to you. No worries, and keep swinging.

Steve

It seems that many people have a problem with our sport. They are usually not knowledgeable about what we do or how we do it. Sorry you had to endure that hogwash.

Nice recoveries on the two pieces of silver and handling the situation so well.
I would of thanked her for wrecking my relaxation time and making me feel bad, and I'm sorry for that she hates me so much.

Nice finds. My wife has a few of those Pandora bracelets. I hope she never starts to lose her charms, those little gadgets are expensive. As far as the lady goes, some people wake up & then go to bed miserable. They have nothing in life to look forward to, & I really feel sorry for her dog !! It deserves better, & so did you.

I remember quietly checking a grass strip beside a sidewalk and a woman came out freaking on me. It was hard to decipher what she was saying as she looked sweaty, disheveled, and slightly hair ratty. Her lawn looked like it was cut with a very dull bladed mower. I was processing all this while watching her son look at her with a pained expression. Initially I was on the defensive until I saw her, her lawn, her young son. I saw a woman at the end of her rope for whatever reason. I just ok, ok'd her and left. Generally I refuse to be bullied off a public/city grass strip, dependent upon the individuals attitude. My first situation like this was years ago and I did not handle it well. These days I figure that if 1-5% of the population gets bothered by my checking the strips, there are so many of them, that I can walk away from a few without an atomic event.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back