A Large Cent and America’s first coin, the Fugio …

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
… or at least three quarters of a Fugio 😀.

I took two hours off from work yesterday to hit a former homesite before the upcoming heat wave. After a couple hours I had only found a few buttons, so I decided to struggle through the thick and thorny brush areas that I might have skipped before. First target was the Fugio. As I understand it, the Fugio was the first coin authorized for circulation by Congress. It is in rough shape, but you can still see the 1787, the word Fugio, and the telltale rings. I don’t know how a quarter of it came to be missing, but it was not due to my shovel for a change 😀. The 1818 Large Cent came shortly after, and sounded like a clad quarter. It is not in great shape and poor Miss Liberty seems to be missing her nose, but I was still happy to dig it. Final find was a relatively small caliber round ball. Stay cool and good luck out there.

IMG_7299.jpeg
IMG_7309.jpeg
IMG_7285.jpegIMG_7314.jpeg
IMG_7287.jpeg

Upvote 43

I took two hours off from work yesterday to hit a former homesite before the upcoming heat wave. After a couple hours I had only found a few buttons, so I decided to struggle through the thick and thorny brush areas that I might have skipped before. First target was the Fugio. As I understand it, the Fugio was the first coin authorized for circulation by Congress. It is in rough shape, but you can still see the 1787, the word Fugio, and the telltale rings. I don’t know how a quarter of it came to be missing, but it was not due to my shovel for a change 😀. The 1818 Large Cent came shortly after, and sounded like a clad quarter. It is not in great shape and poor Miss Liberty seems to be missing her nose, but I was still happy to dig it. Final find was a relatively small caliber round ball. Stay cool and good luck out there.

View attachment 2154034View attachment 2154035View attachment 2154036View attachment 2154037View attachment 2154038
great saves all around, wtg especially the fugio

Cool looking coppers.
She Sure has a flattened profile.
Never seen anything like that before.
Congrats on getting some different.
Thanks, pepperj. I am hoping someone has a theory about that profile. Maybe it’s just how it happened to corrode? I can’t imagine it was struck like that and I did not glance it with my shovel, so who knows.

View attachment 2154034View attachment 2154035View attachment 2154036View attachment 2154037View attachment 2154038
Awesome! Congrats

Love your last pic with the eagle. Congrats on all of the finds, but especially the fugio. That would be one of my dream finds. Well done!!!!!

Im not a coin expert but shouldnt that 1787 fugio coin be banner i vote banner
Thank you, MJB Mike. I think a Fugio in good shape would be a contender; unfortunately, this one was is in poor shape. Still a very interesting coin and a nice surprise to dig.

Fugio, with date, even in poor condition, is banner-worthy for me! Add the 1818 in the same hunt, and it is even more convincing.

Fugio, with date, even in poor condition, is banner-worthy for me! Add the 1818 in the same hunt, and it is even more convincing.
Thank you. I was excited to dig this coin even in poor condition, and was happy it still had the date. The coin has an interesting history, as it may have been designed by Ben Franklin and some claim they were minted from the copper bands taken off the gun powder barrels provided by the French during the Revolution. Maybe if I can find the missing piece it will be more banner worthy 😀. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back