A great day for relics - you don't see these posted very often !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3F9A5D8D-6091-4391-B7D3-E12FC93FB1CB.jpegI haven't posted in quite some time , so here goes. I received permission to detect this home that was built in 1900. It was slated to be torn down. I did not find any good coins, much to my surprise, but boy did I find the relics ! The first relic out of the ground was the Batwing Carpet Beater from 1927. The next item out was the Flu Damper from a wood burning stove from around 1915, but the last relic was the best and I could not believe it when I pulled it from the dirt. The first part out of the ground, was the saw blade looking tag. I kept pulling it up, and saw it was attached to a crimped S hook, which was attached to the Skeleton Key. It turns out, that this is a Skeleton Key for the Auditorium Hotel in Chicago, that was built in 1898 ! The numbers 8 - 31 indicate the 8th floor room 31. I was able to water it off and clean it with a toothbrush, then used a little spray varnish to give it a slight sheen. I have already been on Ebay and was able to purchase a time period postcard of the Hotel, with Horses and Buggies parked in front of it. I plan on putting the postcard in a frame with the tag, key and a little story about it all, to display it properly. I don't have any idea how this piece made it 50 miles South of Chicago, but I'm glad that it did, because I found it, and I consider it to be one of the top 3 relics that I have ever found. I have always had a Railroad Baggage Tag on my bucket list, but this key and tag are a great substitute for now ! Happy Fathers Day to all.

Attachments

• 36D98B5E-5D87-494B-9E05-C3EF33813ECB.jpeg
    36D98B5E-5D87-494B-9E05-C3EF33813ECB.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 158CD609-150E-4FBA-BF9B-BDD536AB8199.jpeg
    158CD609-150E-4FBA-BF9B-BDD536AB8199.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 127
  • D690F8C6-0B30-469A-9766-FE2F49EF3D00.jpeg
    D690F8C6-0B30-469A-9766-FE2F49EF3D00.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 55
View attachment 2089648I haven't posted in quite some time , so here goes. I received permission to detect this home that was built in 1900. It was slated to be torn down. I did not find any good coins, much to my surprise, but boy did I find the relics ! The first relic out of the ground was the Batwing Carpet Beater from 1927. The next item out was the Flu Damper from a wood burning stove from around 1915, but the last relic was the best and I could not believe it when I pulled it from the dirt. The first part out of the ground, was the saw blade looking tag. I kept pulling it up, and saw it was attached to a crimped S hook, which was attached to the Skeleton Key. It turns out, that this is a Skeleton Key for the Auditorium Hotel in Chicago, that was built in 1898 ! The numbers 8 - 31 indicate the 8th floor room 31. I was able to water it off and clean it with a toothbrush, then used a little spray varnish to give it a slight sheen. I have already been on Ebay and was able to purchase a time period postcard of the Hotel, with Horses and Buggies parked in front of it. I plan on putting the postcard in a frame with the tag, key and a little story about it all, to display it properly. I don't have any idea how this piece made it 50 miles South of Chicago, but I'm glad that it did, because I found it, and I consider it to be one of the top 3 relics that I have ever found. I have always had a Railroad Baggage Tag on my bucket list, but this key and tag are a great substitute for now ! Happy Fathers Day to all.
On a scale of coolness of 1-10, I give 20. Congrats!!!!!

View attachment 2089648I haven't posted in quite some time , so here goes. I received permission to detect this home that was built in 1900. It was slated to be torn down. I did not find any good coins, much to my surprise, but boy did I find the relics ! The first relic out of the ground was the Batwing Carpet Beater from 1927. The next item out was the Flu Damper from a wood burning stove from around 1915, but the last relic was the best and I could not believe it when I pulled it from the dirt. The first part out of the ground, was the saw blade looking tag. I kept pulling it up, and saw it was attached to a crimped S hook, which was attached to the Skeleton Key. It turns out, that this is a Skeleton Key for the Auditorium Hotel in Chicago, that was built in 1898 ! The numbers 8 - 31 indicate the 8th floor room 31. I was able to water it off and clean it with a toothbrush, then used a little spray varnish to give it a slight sheen. I have already been on Ebay and was able to purchase a time period postcard of the Hotel, with Horses and Buggies parked in front of it. I plan on putting the postcard in a frame with the tag, key and a little story about it all, to display it properly. I don't have any idea how this piece made it 50 miles South of Chicago, but I'm glad that it did, because I found it, and I consider it to be one of the top 3 relics that I have ever found. I have always had a Railroad Baggage Tag on my bucket list, but this key and tag are a great substitute for now ! Happy Fathers Day to all.
I found a railroad luggage tag here in Boise Idaho it read Union Pacific Railroad .Boise. stamped with numbers. Solid brass. The silver dimes were dated 1916. Pennies, 1916 as well . After digging I found charcoal. Determined there was a fire. I sold the damn thing for nothing. A regret. I don't have a photo, but it's prob on an old post. Nice find you got.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back