Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got in a few hours this morning before it got too hot. Nothing overly exciting but pretty happy with the bird button.
IMG_7368.jpg
IMG_7370.JPG
IMG_7367.JPG

A train went by while we were out there.
IMG_7366.JPG

Upvote 29
It only takes one keeper to make a hunt.
Beautiful button that one is.

Got in a few hours this morning before it got too hot. Nothing overly exciting but pretty happy with the bird button.
View attachment 2159969View attachment 2159970View attachment 2159971

View attachment 2159972
This is how mine looked, already clean
View attachment 2159969View attachment 2159970View attachment 2159971

View attachment 2159972
This is how mine looked, already clean
Screenshot_20240721_184602_Gallery.jpg

Congratulations on your achievement
Thanks for sharing

Very unusual button. Cast bronze (guess 🤔)?
Must have been fairly expensive.

Love the train too!

What are the 2 silver discs in the bottom right of first picture?

It only takes one keeper to make a hunt.
Beautiful button that one is.
+1. :thumbsup:

My last 3 hunts have been total busts. 🙁

Very unusual button. Cast bronze (guess 🤔)?
Must have been fairly expensive.

Love the train too!

What are the 2 silver discs in the bottom right of first picture?

+1. :thumbsup:

My last 3 hunts have been total busts. 🙁
They are mother-of-pearl. I'm thinking they were some kind of button inlays as buttons are almost all we find at this spot.

They are mother-of-pearl. I'm thinking they were some kind of button inlays as buttons are almost all we find at this spot.
Plausible. Possible Dressmaker/Seamstress/Tailor site?

Nice button. It’s what’s called a ‘storybook’ button (as is the equally nice kitten button posted by @Conito@55). The bird is “Mr. Rook”, taken from an illustration in the childrens’ book “The Ballad of Mr. Rook” by the British politician George Wyndham, about a family of rooks who find a safe place to nest in the garden of a kindly lady who feeds them. It’s set in “Clouds” (Clouds House in Wiltshire, England) where the Wyndham family lived.

Although such buttons were popular from Victorian times onwards and that particular button is often described by sellers as “Victorian”, it’s actually Edwardian or later. Victoria died on 22 January 1901 and the book that inspired the rook buttona wasn’t published until later that year, in verse form with illustrations by George’s mother Madeline (married to his father Percy). The story itself had originally been written to entertain one Madeline’s younger sons while he was ill, and then published for all to enjoy.

Mr Rook.jpg

.... It’s what’s called a ‘storybook’ button
Would all the buttons on a garment be the same picture, or would there be a set of different buttons on the garment that would tell a story? 🤔

Would all the buttons on a garment be the same picture, or would there be a set of different buttons on the garment that would tell a story? 🤔

Usually they were sold in sets of 4 or 6, all to the same design using a character or scenic depiction from popular childrens' books, nursery rhymes, folklore and such. I've seen occasional sets with different depictions all of the same theme such as characters from 'Punch and Judy.' I would also be sure that they were sometimes used on a mix-and-match basis by mothers making garments for their kids.

Nice button. It’s what’s called a ‘storybook’ button (as is the equally nice kitten button posted by @Conito@55). The bird is “Mr. Rook”, taken from an illustration in the childrens’ book “The Ballad of Mr. Rook” by the British politician George Wyndham, about a family of rooks who find a safe place to nest in the garden of a kindly lady who feeds them. It’s set in “Clouds” (Clouds House in Wiltshire, England) where the Wyndham family lived.

Although such buttons were popular from Victorian times onwards and that particular button is often described by sellers as “Victorian”, it’s actually Edwardian or later. Victoria died on 22 January 1901 and the book that inspired the rook buttona wasn’t published until later that year, in verse form with illustrations by George’s mother Madeline (married to his father Percy). The story itself had originally been written to entertain one Madeline’s younger sons while he was ill, and then published for all to enjoy.

View attachment 2160375
That's some great info Red-coat, very much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back