9 rings including a beautiful gold and jade ring and a nice variety from the scout camp

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I took a trip to the scout camp. Part of the staff is in camp, but I was able to work in areas out of the way so everything worked out. This trip I went to the Cub Scout part of camp and worked a campsite I haven’t done for a few years and did another part of the handicraft area. In 6.5 hours swingin the CZ21 I found 57 coins with a face value of $5.60, 73 camp tent pegs, some sinkers, a mess kit fork, some Webelos pins, 11 rope tensioners, a fake cob coin, 2 tokens, 7 leather craft stamps, a messed up pocket knife, 2 Webelos neckerchief slides, some melted aluminum from the campfires, 2 whole aluminum cans and only 2 tabs.

DSCN2618.jpeg

IMG_6405.jpeg

The fake cob does have the word COPY stamped on it and they were sold in the trading post on years when the Cub Scout camp theme was pirates. The 2 tokens are some of the ones used as incentives years ago for the cubs. The Webelos pins are from 2 different series. The first one is for the current series and is a Webelos Core Pin - Stronger, Faster, Higher. The next 2 are from the older series, the first is ENGINEER and the second is GEOLOGIST. Then you have a popcorn pin from 2014 and 2 pin backs. I find a lot of pin backs at the Cub part of camp because of all the Webelos that attend with their advancement pins. The cubs also loose a lot of their tools when working on leather projects. They are mostly small and easy to knock off the table or fall through the cracks in the picnic tables they use. When they hit the ground they hide very well in the leaves and grass. I have found several dozen over the years.

DSCN2619.jpeg

DSCN2620.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the scout camp for one last hunt before the campers come in for the season. I went back to one of the Boy Scout areas and check over 3 sites. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 99 coins with a face value of $8.46, 49 camp tent pegs, another Jitterbug fishing lure, 7 rope tensioners, a camp souvenir dog tag, a fake cob coin, a Canadian penny, a military blank, sinkers, brass grommets, a few tabs and melted aluminum from the campfires.

DSCN2621.jpeg

IMG_6408.jpeg

Not as many interesting things this trip, but better coin count and value. The military blank is one from the reinactors and is marked IVI 68. That head stamp means this was made by Industries Valcartier Inc. in 1968 and this style had a cardboard plug (I have also found cartridges with the same head stamp with a crimped end instead of the cardboard plug).

DSCN2622.jpeg

DAY 2 & 3
We went camping with our daughter and her family over the weekend at a state park about 80 miles away. In this park during the summer you can only metal detect from 6 am to 9 am if you are camping (if not camping it is 8 am to 9 am). So naturally I was up early swingin in the water and some on the beach to see what other people have left behind for me both mornings. My granddaughter decided to join me for part of the hunt each day (2 hours instead of 3.5, teenagers like to get their sleep, I do cheat a little and start at 5:30am). I have 2 ATPros so she had one to use and she has detected with me once before.

My granddaughter didn’t want to get wet because it was cold so she stayed on the beach. She found 9 coins with a face value of $1.08, some tabs and bottle caps the first morning. She said the bottle caps gave a weird signal. When I looked at them I knew why. They are ferrous caps but they have aluminum foil on them like some fancy beverage bottles do to protect the cap and so she was getting a mixed low and mid tone signal. I did much better in the water than she did on the beach so she said she would try the water the next day. This is only her second time swingin with minimal supervision and her first time water detecting. Last fall she detected a dry swimming area at another park with me and did well for a beginner. She worked for 3 hours and found a few coins, some cheapie jewelry and a little of the usual junk. Recovery time for each target is a lot longer for a newby so naturally I found a lot more in the same time. The more items you recover the more likely it will be that some of them are goodies. Also I spent 9 hours to her 3 hours. I was on my own schedule and she has to be on her parent’s schedule.

The second morning she only found 1 quarter, but she did find a couple of pieces of jewelry and she had an enjoyed herself so that’s a good thing. She is looking forward to detecting with me on our next camping trip. She is still looking for her first silver or gold and I sure hope she gets her coil over a goodie next trip.

In 7 hours of swingin the ATPro I found 47 coins with a face value of $4.68, 7 pieces of silver jewelry, 2 pieces of gold jewelry, 9 rings, a nice assortment of cheapie jewelry, sinkers, pellet gun pellets, small bits of aluminum and brass, selfie stick retainers from the telescoping handles of nets the kiddies use to try and catch minnows, can tabs (including some tails with out the beaver), a fish hook and of course aluminum foil bits.

DSCN2623.jpeg

DSCN2627.jpeg

The goodies include a silver wire earring with green plastic beads, 2 silver earring backs, a gold colored silver heart ring, a 14k ring with a jade stone, a 14k hinged earring, 2 silver stud earrings with czs and a silver connecting ring for a necklace or bracelet. The other 7 rings are mostly stainless steel or plated copper.

DSCN2626.jpeg

The 14k jade ring is a beauty. The style looks vintage, but it might be a modern production. I don’t recognize the makers mark so help there would be appreciated. The gem tester tells me it is jade. It was a perfect 53 on the ATPro, exactly the same as a pop tab or nickel. So as it has been said many times, DIG THE NICKEL SIGNALS if you want the gold.

DSCN2633.jpeg

DSCN2632.jpeg

DSCN2630.jpeg

I found a bracelet that has 4 tigers eye beads, 2 plated copper beads and a bunch of lava rock beads. My granddaughter really liked that one and one of the rings so she will get those when I see her next. I have done better at this park in the past, but for early in the season with cold water I’ve got nothing to complain about. It could have been a lot worse.

DSCN2625.jpeg

So overall a very good week with variety from the scout camp and lots of jewelry from the water. Thanks for looking, good luck, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 43
DAY 1
I took a trip to the scout camp. Part of the staff is in camp, but I was able to work in areas out of the way so everything worked out. This trip I went to the Cub Scout part of camp and worked a campsite I haven’t done for a few years and did another part of the handicraft area. In 6.5 hours swingin the CZ21 I found 57 coins with a face value of $5.60, 73 camp tent pegs, some sinkers, a mess kit fork, some Webelos pins, 11 rope tensioners, a fake cob coin, 2 tokens, 7 leather craft stamps, a messed up pocket knife, 2 Webelos neckerchief slides, some melted aluminum from the campfires, 2 whole aluminum cans and only 2 tabs.

View attachment 2088764

View attachment 2088767

The fake cob does have the word COPY stamped on it and they were sold in the trading post on years when the Cub Scout camp theme was pirates. The 2 tokens are some of the ones used as incentives years ago for the cubs. The Webelos pins are from 2 different series. The first one is for the current series and is a Webelos Core Pin - Stronger, Faster, Higher. The next 2 are from the older series, the first is ENGINEER and the second is GEOLOGIST. Then you have a popcorn pin from 2014 and 2 pin backs. I find a lot of pin backs at the Cub part of camp because of all the Webelos that attend with their advancement pins. The cubs also loose a lot of their tools when working on leather projects. They are mostly small and easy to knock off the table or fall through the cracks in the picnic tables they use. When they hit the ground they hide very well in the leaves and grass. I have found several dozen over the years.

View attachment 2088765

View attachment 2088766

DAY 2
I went back to the scout camp for one last hunt before the campers come in for the season. I went back to one of the Boy Scout areas and check over 3 sites. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 99 coins with a face value of $8.46, 49 camp tent pegs, another Jitterbug fishing lure, 7 rope tensioners, a camp souvenir dog tag, a fake cob coin, a Canadian penny, a military blank, sinkers, brass grommets, a few tabs and melted aluminum from the campfires.

View attachment 2088768

View attachment 2088770

Not as many interesting things this trip, but better coin count and value. The military blank is one from the reinactors and is marked IVI 68. That head stamp means this was made by Industries Valcartier Inc. in 1968 and this style had a cardboard plug (I have also found cartridges with the same head stamp with a crimped end instead of the cardboard plug).

View attachment 2088769
DAY 2 & 3
We went camping with our daughter and her family over the weekend at a state park about 80 miles away. In this park during the summer you can only metal detect from 6 am to 9 am if you are camping (if not camping it is 8 am to 9 am). So naturally I was up early swingin in the water and some on the beach to see what other people have left behind for me both mornings. My granddaughter decided to join me for part of the hunt each day (2 hours instead of 3.5, teenagers like to get their sleep, I do cheat a little and start at 5:30am). I have 2 ATPros so she had one to use and she has detected with me once before.

My granddaughter didn’t want to get wet because it was cold so she stayed on the beach. She found 9 coins with a face value of $1.08, some tabs and bottle caps the first morning. She said the bottle caps gave a weird signal. When I looked at them I knew why. They are ferrous caps but they have aluminum foil on them like some fancy beverage bottles do to protect the cap and so she was getting a mixed low and mid tone signal. I did much better in the water than she did on the beach so she said she would try the water the next day. This is only her second time swingin with minimal supervision and her first time water detecting. Last fall she detected a dry swimming area at another park with me and did well for a beginner. She worked for 3 hours and found a few coins, some cheapie jewelry and a little of the usual junk. Recovery time for each target is a lot longer for a newby so naturally I found a lot more in the same time. The more items you recover the more likely it will be that some of them are goodies. Also I spent 9 hours to her 3 hours. I was on my own schedule and she has to be on her parent’s schedule.

The second morning she only found 1 quarter, but she did find a couple of pieces of jewelry and she had an enjoyed herself so that’s a good thing. She is looking forward to detecting with me on our next camping trip. She is still looking for her first silver or gold and I sure hope she gets her coil over a goodie next trip.

In 7 hours of swingin the ATPro I found 47 coins with a face value of $4.68, 7 pieces of silver jewelry, 2 pieces of gold jewelry, 9 rings, a nice assortment of cheapie jewelry, sinkers, pellet gun pellets, small bits of aluminum and brass, selfie stick retainers from the telescoping handles of nets the kiddies use to try and catch minnows, can tabs (including some tails with out the beaver), a fish hook and of course aluminum foil bits.

View attachment 2088771

View attachment 2088772

The goodies include a silver wire earring with green plastic beads, 2 silver earring backs, a gold colored silver heart ring, a 14k ring with a jade stone, a 14k hinged earring, 2 silver stud earrings with czs and a silver connecting ring for a necklace or bracelet. The other 7 rings are mostly stainless steel or plated copper.

View attachment 2088774

The 14k jade ring is a beauty. The style looks vintage, but it might be a modern production. I don’t recognize the makers mark so help there would be appreciated. The gem tester tells me it is jade. It was a perfect 53 on the ATPro, exactly the same as a pop tab or nickel. So as it has been said many times, DIG THE NICKEL SIGNALS if you want the gold.

View attachment 2088763

View attachment 2088776

View attachment 2088775

I found a bracelet that has 4 tigers eye beads, 2 plated copper beads and a bunch of lava rock beads. My granddaughter really liked that one and one of the rings so she will get those when I see her next. I have done better at this park in the past, but for early in the season with cold water I’ve got nothing to complain about. It could have been a lot worse.

View attachment 2088773

So overall a very good week with variety from the scout camp and lots of jewelry from the water. Thanks for looking, good luck, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!! I like that 14kt Ring!!! Congrats!!!

I was thinking Uncas for the ring makers mark but the arrow goes through the U from the side not up from the bottom unless it was an older style from Uncas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back