1838 Liberty Head Cent, 1942 US Airforce .50 Cal Casing

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years back I found an 1822 large cent about 10 yards from where I found this 1838 today. The Manticore found what the Nox 800 didn't.

Today I found my fourth .50 cal brass casing that was most likely fired from a coastal defense plane during WWII. Marked 1942 and made at the St. Louis armory. From what I can figure, this area was the flight path taken by fighters during live fire practice sorties on Gardener's Island. I have found jammed rounds and even unfired ones stuck in the ground like darts two to three inches below the surface of the forest floor. In the attached photo of previous finds, notice the unfired round has a black tip that denotes it was amour-piercing. It was meant for hitting German submarine conning towers.

In June 1942 a German Submarine unloaded four saboteurs on the beach of my eastern Long Island, NY town. They were subsequently captured. German subs also preyed upon merchant shipping.

Attachments

• 1000002752.jpg
    1000002752.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 1000002753.jpg
    1000002753.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 50cal3.jpg
    50cal3.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20241026_184325.jpg
    20241026_184325.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000002750.jpg
    1000002750.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 14
Always interesting finding different deposition periods at the same site…..assuming the person who dropped the .50 round wasn’t the same person who dropped the large cent. Have the same issues, but usually it’s pbr or schlitz cans rather than military ammunition brass

A couple of years back I found an 1822 large cent about 10 yards from where I found this 1838 today. The Manticore found what the Nox 800 didn't.

Today I found my fourth .50 cal brass casing that was most likely fired from a coastal defense plane during WWII. Marked 1942 and made at the St. Louis armory. From what I can figure, this area was the flight path taken by fighters during live fire practice sorties on Gardener's Island. I have found jammed rounds and even unfired ones stuck in the ground like darts two to three inches below the surface of the forest floor. In the attached photo of previous finds, notice the unfired round has a black tip that denotes it was amour-piercing. It was meant for hitting German submarine conning towers.

In June 1942 a German Submarine unloaded four saboteurs on the beach of my eastern Long Island, NY town. They were subsequently captured. German subs also preyed upon merchant shipping.

nice largie, she's a beauty

Great finds - congrats !

Yes, there was a lot of German U-Boat activity in your area.
U-853 was the last U-Boat sunk off the Eastern US during WW 2.
I dove on the wreck 18 or 20 times - it's in 130 ft. of water only 3 miles off of Block Island, RI

Good Hunting !

Well done on the LC.
The reverse is in a little better condition.

The complete 50 cal. is a nice one.

Dug both the casing and bullet, but not an unfired round.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back