6lb ball..

Here ya go 6lb.jpeg

Upvote 0
looks to be a sideloaded confederate. is there any other circles or places with fuse. if not may be wooden fuse with paper still in

Upvote 0
Don't drill any holes in it. :laughing7: Cops liked to blow stuff up so if you give it to them you may not find any pieces when they are done. A fuse was put in it and will come out the same way if still intact. Maybe a military guy you know can take care of it IF it is still intact.

Upvote 0
Don't drill any holes in it. :laughing7: Cops liked to blow stuff up so if you give it to them you may not find any pieces when they are done. A fuse was put in it and will come out the same way if still intact. Maybe a military guy you know can take care of it IF it is still intact.
Ok.. theres a few guys who disarm them. We go to div, theres a guy that goes that knows..

Upvote 0
Red James Cash is definitely correct. Darnit… on the subject of how to discover the CORRECT identification of iron (or steel) balls, I've been preaching here over-&-over-again for at least 12 years about the extreme helpfulness/usefulness of the civil war US Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" cannonball size-&-weight charts. (And, I've been re-re-re-re-re-posting a direct link so y'all can view those very-precise iron/steel-ball identification charts via the internet, for free.) But it seems like Red James Cash is the only person reading this discussion-thread who remembers what I've said at least (literally) 100 times here.
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Thank you very much, Red James. :)

This ball's poster says it weighs 6 pounds and is 3.5-inches in diameter. Look it up in the Shot Tables. Regardless of whether it is a cannonball or not, this iron/steel ball's size and weight PROVE it can ONLY be a SOLID ball... absolutely not a hollow/explosive one. Therefore, the circle on it CANNOT be a "detonator" or fuze-hole.

In closing... I should mention that Tony in SC was probably also onto the fact that it is solid, not hollow. When the Original Poster said this iron/steel 6-pound ball's diameter is 2.5-inches, Tony (essentially) replied that that's not possible.... and then the ball's poster came back to say he miss-typed the size, correcting it to 3.5-inches. To be 6-pounds and only 2.5-inches in diameter, it would have to be made of a metal which is MUCH heavier than iron... such as lead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red James Cash is definitely correct. Darnit… on the subject of how to discover the CORRECT identification of iron (or steel) balls, I've been preaching here over-&-over-again for at least 12 years about the extreme helpfulness/usefulness of the civil war US Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" cannonball size-&-weight charts. (And, I've been re-re-re-re-re-posting a direct link so y'all can view those very-precise iron/steel-ball identification charts via the internet, for free.) But it seems like Red James Cash is the only person reading this discussion-thread who remembers what I've said at least (literally) 100 times here.
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Thank you very much, Red James. :)

This ball's poster says it weighs 6 pounds and is 3.5-inches in diameter. Look it up in the Shot Tables. Regardless of whether it is a cannonball or not, this iron/steel ball's size and weight PROVE it can ONLY be a SOLID ball... absolutely not a hollow/explosive one. Therefore, the circle on it CANNOT be a "detonator" or fuze-hole.

In closing... I should mention that Tony in SC was probably also onto the fact that it is solid, not hollow. When the Original Poster said this iron/steel 6-pound ball's diameter is 2.5-inches, Tony (essentially) replied that that's not possible.... and then the ball's poster came back to say he miss-typed the size, correcting it to 3.5-inches. To be 6-pounds and only 2.5-inches in diameter, it would have to be made of a metal which is MUCH heavier than iron... such as lead.
Thank you sir

Upvote 0
Looks like a 6 pound shot put shot for junior high school girls. The round plug is where adjustments to the weight could be made. If too heavy, material would be removed. If too light, lead is added.

Upvote 0
Looks like a 6 pound shot put shot for junior high school girls. The round plug is where adjustments to the weight could be made. If too heavy, material would be removed. If too light, lead is added.
Interesting...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post Tlh and for sparking another lively forum!

Thanks also to Red James Cash and TheCannonBallGuy for their enlightenment. I've not been here long, and had not seen the link above. I've copied and pasted it into Word and saved in my relic file.

Best wishes all!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back