6lb ball..

IMG_1621.JPG ive got one too. I believe a smaller cannon ball.

Upvote 0
I have a solid shot 18 pounder,nice hunk of iron lol.For more modern I have a veitnam war era 105mm armour piercing projectile,I have the shell casing also.I'd throw a picture up but they're in storage.

Upvote 0
Rook3434 wrote:
> ive got one too. I believe a smaller cannon ball.

I realize that although you did not actually request identification for your iron/steel ball, you posted a photo of it and told us what you believe it is a cannonball. So, here is what I intend only as helpful info. Having personally examined thousands of such balls in my 40+ years of being a cannonball collector and civil war relics dealer, in my opinion your iron/steel ball looks too "smoothly polished" to be a cannonball (or other Artillery ball, such as a Grapeshot ball, or Canister-ammo ball). Artillery balls were never manufactured to be a Work Of Art. Meaning, there was no need to expend the extra labor to make them "look pretty" by polishing, etc.

If you have interest in learning with certainty whether or not your iron/steel ball is indeed is a cannonball, you can read (for free) an article I co-wrote which gives detailed instructions for cannonball identification, including helpful photos. Go here:
SolidShotEssentialsMod

An easy way to get started in the ID-quest is to weigh the ball on a PRECISION weighing scale, such as a Postal Shipping scale, which weighs in ounces -- not just pounds. When you've got your ball's precisely measured weight, check the Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" charts for a match-up. If there's no match-up, the ball is definitely not an Artillery ball. Note, the charts mostly tell the very-precise weight of SOLID (not hollow explosive) artillery balls.
Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back