✅ SOLVED 6 Flat Buttons 1 Cellar Hole

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab X-Terra Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT, WTB Black Tesoro Vaquero with RSD coil PM me!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I found all of these flat buttons inside the footprint of a cellar hole of about 7'x7' in size. They were found looking like a lump of coral with a loop so I did some electrolysis. I only can I.D. one of these buttons and its exact date range so maybe you can help me with the rest. Ive numbered them for easy referencing.

#1 This is the button I've dated- "A. Benedict" (Aaron Benedict) "Extra Rich" (quality mark) Dates (1823-1829)
mdatbillotis 004.JPG

#2 I can only make out the word "Colour" on this button
mdatbillotis 006.JPGmdatbillotis 008.JPG

#3 I believe this one the say "Treble gilt" (referring to its plating). Also something that looks like "st anne co"?? Very hard to picture sorry.
mdatbillotis 010.JPG

#4 This one appears to say "L&K"?? also "est"?? and "Double Gilt" (referring to plating)
mdatbillotis 011.JPGmdatbillotis 012.JPG

#5 This one also looks to say "L&K"?? I can also make out "Rich" (quality mark) and there is more I cant make out..
mdatbillotis 013.JPGmdatbillotis 014.JPG

#6 This button seems to have no righting at all.
mdatbillotis 001.JPG

Thanks so much for looking. Any and all info is appreciated HH!

All of the buttons except 2 and 6 are backmarked flat buttons from around 1800-1840, button #2 looks to be slightly later, probably mid-1800's, and button #6 looks to be the oldest, most likely 1780's or 1790's.

Coinman123,

Upvote 0
Showtime2385 asked me to comment. As you've already ID'ed and dated your button #1, I'll only comment on the others.
Button #2:
The very deep groove encircling the edge of its back makes it appear to be a "flat 2-piece" button, a type which first shows up in the mid-to-late-1820s. Its backmark seems to say "PATENTED COLOUR" which is the British spelling of the word color, meaning it is British-made.
Button #3:
I believe the backmark says "STAND'd COL" -- which is an abbreviation for standard colour, another British backmark. Imports of British-made flatbuttons declined greatly in the early-1830s because the young American button-making industry had finally become capable of mass-producing flatbuttons inexpensively, eliminating the need for American customers to pay the US Government's costly Import Tariff on foreign-made buttons.
Buttons #4 and #5:
The "L&K" in their backmarks represents the firm of Leavenworths & Kendrick (of Waterbury CT), one of the early American competitors who pushed the British button-makers out of the American market in the early-1830s. Leavenworths & Kendrick was in business from 1829 through 1834, and continued under subsequent partner-names into the 1850s.
Button #6:
Coinman123 is right, that one is the earliest of the batch, dating from the latter-1700s.

Upvote 0
Showtime2385 asked me to comment. As you've already ID'ed and dated your button #1, I'll only comment on the others.
Button #2:
The very deep groove encircling the edge of its back makes it appear to be a "flat 2-piece" button, a type which first shows up in the mid-to-late-1820s. Its backmark seems to say "PATENTED COLOUR" which is the British spelling of the word color, meaning it is British-made.
Button #3:
I believe the backmark says "STAND'd COL" -- which is an abbreviation for standard colour, another British backmark. Imports of British-made flatbuttons declined greatly in the early-1830s because the young American button-making industry had finally become capable of mass-producing flatbuttons inexpensively, eliminating the need for American customers to pay the US Government's costly Import Tariff on foreign-made buttons.
Buttons #4 and #5:
The "L&K" in their backmarks represents the firm of Leavenworths & Kendrick (of Waterbury CT), one of the early American competitors who pushed the British button-makers out of the American market in the early-1830s. Leavenworths & Kendrick was in business from 1829 through 1834, and continued under subsequent partner-names into the 1850s.
Button #6:
Coinman123 is right, that one is the earliest of the batch, dating from the latter-1700s.

Thanks so much for all the info!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back