28lb bar of something with gold content

Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posting for a friend. Its a bronze colored bar found by his granddather, dug up in its current form. It is approximately 10 inches long. Four inches across the bottom, two inches across the top, and about 3 inches tall and 28 lbs. He send a tiny piece of to a "mail in your gold" company and received some money. It isn't solid gold, but we can't determine what it is. KIMG0201.jpg

Well it certainly looks comfortable. Like it's at the spa waiting for a massage...

Can you tell us how the much "tiny piece" weighed and how much money he got for it? Without additional information anything I say would be pure guess work.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I read years ago that people would mix iron in with their gold in case of a holdup it would appear to be iron. I didn't think it made any sense, but could be? Tony

Upvote 0
Doing the math based on your estimated numbers the specific gravity falls around 7-8. I believe bronze is within this range. Maybe it's bronze?

Upvote 0
We use to use a Public Warehouse to ship our raw materials here at work, they stocked pallets of those gold looking bars, it felt like I was in Ft. Knox when i walked through that area of the warehouse, same shape bars, i can't think of what material it was off the top of my head.

Upvote 0
Based on the dents and slices in the bar it appears that whatever it is, it is fairly soft! Like others have stated and if the "Mail in your' Gold" Company paid your friend's grandfather something for the sample sent in, then it is likely a Gold alloyed with some other material or materials. You may be able to clean the bar up some by bathing it in Acetone and post new pics of it. You now have our interest up and I for sure, would like to know what it is! If it contains Gold, I hope your friend's grandfather is still alive and can give the location where it was found as there may be more out there. In any case and if not Gold, additional bars will likely be worth finding and selling to a Metal Recycler.

Frank

Upvote 0
Well it certainly looks comfortable. Like it's at the spa waiting for a massage...

Can you tell us how the much "tiny piece" weighed and how much money he got for it? Without additional information anything I say would be pure guess work.

DCMatt

ROFL... heh
Friggin caught me off guard with that one matt. :)

Upvote 0
Ok ...
You guys ready for this one...

I think it is silver...
Sterling silver to be exact...
Old style melt "loaf"
.That my guess.

imagesOUMWK3YG.jpg

Furthermore...
It may even be "x ray" silver loaf.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I got that for Christmas a few years ago and repackaged it the next year.

MIke

Upvote 0
I think I got that for Christmas a few years ago and repackaged it the next year.

MIke

Reminds me of the one that was found in an attic and was around 100 years old and still fresh enough to eat--but only if you are into that kind of thing.

Upvote 0
It would be much easier for us to determine what you have by chiseling nice little chunks of it and sending those to each of us. If the cash for gold folks are paying money for just little pieces of it, then ship em the whole thing and see what they'd give for it all. I don't think you'd be under any obligation to sell it if you think it's worth more then they offer. To me it looks like an ingot of Babbitt metal used as a bearing surface in drive shafts and bushings on large industrial machinery. Babbitt (metal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Out in the field behind where I live, there was once a coal mine. I took this picture of a large shaft bearing cap that has the remnants of a babbitt metal left on the bearing surface. If you can prove to me your find is a amalgam mix of precious metals of gold, silver & ??, I will be flat out be Ooh'd & Aww'd with what you find.

Attachments

• bab bearing.jpg
    bab bearing.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back