Re: Who makes what???

Teknetics and Fisher are both manufactured by First Texas, which is why they appear so similar in design.

First Texas makes First Texas, Bounty Hunter, Fisher and Teknetics. they are the largest MD maker in the world

What happened to Fisher? Were they bought out? They use to make top of the line detectors.

First Texas bought out Fisher MD's in May of 2006

Frankn said:
What happened to Fisher? Were they bought out? They use to make top of the line detectors.

They were not bought out, but sold to First Texas. They used to make top of the line detectors and had a lifetime warranty. Now it seems the materials went to the lowest bidder and some guys get lucky with service. I must have about six of them.

I don’t understand the difference between being ‘bought out’ or ‘sold’ –Sandman- what is the difference?

They were going bankrupt and would have just folded if FTP didn’t save the day and buy them out for virtually nothing. The old Fisher detector line was stale and no one was buying them-their marketing department was horrendous and their last releases were flops like the Gold Strike, Coin Strike, ID Excel and ID Edge which sealed their fate. I think the old Fisher was horrible-coils were wired wrong-they discontinued the CZ20 instead of fixing it and addressing its issues (like FTP did) their catalog was backwards and had tons of misspellings, they had bunches of new in box defective units being sent out to customers and the units were overpriced for the features and performance compared to companies like Whites, Minelab…… The new Fisher is now a major player in the industry and the current offerings are the first choices of most knowledgeable detectorists that actually know what they are doing. Many feel they are the leaders in technology with more new releases in the past 5 years than all the other manufacturers combined-they also have the best engineer in the business-David Johnson who was the brains behind the old Fisher when they actually last competed in the industry. I have seen and read many great reports on service and have experienced it my self on my old CZ20 which became a CZ21 at no charge. Old Fisher only offered the lifetime warranty because they were going out of business and knew they would not be around long enough to honor it-they certainly fooled many into thinking it was a ‘valid’ offer……
I think Fisher and Teknetics are easily the best in the business as far as features, performance, warranty and price-not to mention technology…

JT

Sandman said:
Frankn said:

They were not bought out, but sold to First Texas. They used to make top of the line detectors and had a lifetime warranty. Now it seems the materials went to the lowest bidder and some guys get lucky with service. I must have about six of them.

The First Texas detectors just seem cheaply built to me. The electronics may be ok, but I can't get past the materials that make up the total detector.

I dont see it-lightweight and ergonomic does not equal cheap.
What units or parts are you refering to seeming cheap?
Rods are rods and they are all the same-hardware and screws? molded armcups? They use cam locks on the rods when others dont-coils? Coil cords? Connectors are the same industry wide-please more specifics on what specifically seems cheap[.......
I think you are confusing lightweight for cheap---light does not mean not durable?

JT

What kept me from buying a Omega 8000 was in another forum it seems like every one that bought one .... Had to send them back for some type of repairs......

Attachments

• OMEGAFacePlate_final.jpg
    OMEGAFacePlate_final.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 338
  • OMEGAFacePlate_final.jpg
    OMEGAFacePlate_final.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 338
HUH?

Like what? I bought one and love it.

I see many inexperienced users encountering a case of operator failure on high performance units like Teknetics offers because they are used to slow, less sensitive inferior products that have been and are still offfered by other manufactureres.......inexperience users also think if a detector is light and well balance as opposed to an outdated, heavy and awkwardly balanced detector- it is 'cheap'-----WRONG!
The Omega is one of the best units ever made and I would love to have anyone pitch me a more competant detector even at hundreds of dollars more. (for my style of hunting and most other hunting styles) In the Omega I saw little if any issues while following forums so it is a bad choice to try and discredit -other FTP products I did see problems on. Can you give any specifics on Omega issues I may have missed?
I see many associated with brand loyaty talking bad but no specifics just-blah blah blah........-----they cant back it up with any facts especailly first hand facts.
There is a reason Garrett and the AT are trying to ride the coattails of First Texas-its because FTP are the leaders and the Garrett AT is proof of it--its a blatent copycat of the Tek units and features -give credit where credit is due-FTP is the undisputed leader....Whites is second because they at least show some of thier own inovation- Garrett is 3rd becasue at least they are trying to compete through imitation even if it is imitating FTP products---Garretts electronics engineering crew basically proved capable of reverse engineering Teknetics and they appear to have done a good job of mechanical engineering (waterproof)

HEEEELLLLOOOOOOO!

JT

Re: HUH?

John Tanner said:

I see many inexperienced users encountering a case of operator failure on high performance units like Teknetics offers because they are used to slow, less sensitive inferior products that have been and are still offfered by other manufactureres.......inexperience users also think if a detector is light and well balance as opposed to an outdated, heavy and awkwardly balanced detector- it is 'cheap'-----WRONG!
The Omega is one of the best units ever made and I would love to have anyone pitch me a more competant detector even at hundreds of dollars more. (for my style of hunting and most other hunting styles) In the Omega I saw little if any issues while following forums so it is a bad choice to try and discredit -other FTP products I did see problems on. Can you give any specifics on Omega issues I may have missed?
I see many associated with brand loyaty talking bad but no specifics just-blah blah blah........-----they cant back it up with any facts especailly first hand facts.
There is a reason Garrett and the AT are trying to ride the coattails of First Texas-its because FTP are the leaders and the Garrett AT is proof of it--its a blatent copycat of the Tek units and features -give credit where credit is due-FTP is the undisputed leader....Whites is second because they at least show some of thier own inovation- Garrett is 3rd becasue at least they are trying to compete through imitation even if it is imitating FTP products---Garretts electronics engineering crew basically proved capable of reverse engineering Teknetics and they appear to have done a good job of mechanical engineering (waterproof)

HEEEELLLLOOOOOOO!

JT
I have been detecting since the early 1960s and I don't consider myself an inexperienced hunter. I have had to send my F75 back for repair three(3) times in two years. The have replaced the coil two times and update the battery conns. also change the battery door. I think the "dead fish" looking coil needs to be redesigned too. It has a lot of drag when trying to use it in shallow water and it gets hung up on stubble.

Duke-great example-leaky and microphonic coils along with battery compartment issues were prevalant with the earliest T2 and F75s but long since been fixed-4-5 years ago. I dont see that relating to recent offerings or even current T2 or F75 units being made cheap-thats a mechanical engineering issue and has little to do with cheap parts-I am sure you will agree......
I am sure there is a good reason you use an F75 and that is performance-its one of the best.
I saw issues on my T2 with loose batteries but not the coil-I stretched the bat springs elongating them and stuffed the battery door with tissue and had no issue after that.

JT

John Tanner said:

HEEEELLLLOOOOOOO!

JT
I am not trying to discredit any detector......What they talked about in the other forum and sent there Omega's in for repairs was.... Not going into ground grab...screen blanking out... and just shuting off by it's self..

If you have an Omega you know that the problem with ground grab is there can not be ANY metal present for it to work. 'issues' I heard were because it is so precise you cant ground grab anywhere close to metal or on top of even small metal while many ohter detectors will allow you to balance close or on top of small metal-the Omega will not.....I think this makes it superior not inferior to other units. I never heard about units shutting off on thier own but thats not to say it wasnt an issue with some.....

JMHO
JT

First Texas is a parent investment type company that buys up a group of specialized businesses in hopes of making a profit. Much growing pains will be had. I like fisher as well as any other good machine, horror stories and all. You should not ground balance over any metal with any machine, it wont be true. All open coils hang on the stubble, fisher not withstanding.

John Tanner said:

HEEEELLLLOOOOOOO!

JT
What i just put i the minelab forum under explorer or etrak is that Minelab has not put out a new detector in years but no one there will believe that even though it is the truth......

The big cheese has a vision. He kicks the marketing group in the arse. Marketing comes up with the greatest new product and the the big cheese really has no clue as to WTF is going on. Engineering has at it and specs out what they think is okay. Purchasing buys a big pile of crap from the cheapest vendors on earth. Manufacturing has to figure out where and how to put it all together with the cheapest methods available. Welcome to consumer electronics.

John Tanner said:
I dont see it-lightweight and ergonomic does not equal cheap.
What units or parts are you refering to seeming cheap?
Rods are rods and they are all the same-hardware and screws? molded armcups? They use cam locks on the rods when others dont-coils? Coil cords? Connectors are the same industry wide-please more specifics on what specifically seems cheap[.......
I think you are confusing lightweight for cheap---light does not mean not durable?

JT

Too much brittle thin walled plastic.

I have to say I love my T2 and especially how light it is (I am female). I do think it comes off a little flimsy but I put it through a lot and it has done very well by me. I bought it this past April and did have to send it in for service for a wire short in August (could have been my fault - I was a little rough on it) but the First Texas customer service was excellent :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back