2 sets of COLONIAL CUFFLINKS selling on EBAY

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Found these today and selling them. These TWO SETS of Colonial Cufflinks were dug on a Revolutionary War battle ground in Western NJ. They are completely intact and are incredible rare! The cufflink in the upper portion of the picture has a Loral wreath design and the one below has a 2 HAND ETCHED flowers on the octagonal button. I believe the top one is copper and the other is a brass alloy.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    319 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Upvote 0
In a polite and free society not only are guns the great equalizer, but so is the free market. Treasure hunters come in all temperments, some like to donate their stuff, some like to keep it, and some like to sell. Most will do all three. Here in the USA, private collectors, the free market, and avid enthusiusts, are the way that finds are recorded into the public domain. Look at all the stuff brought to light just on this website alone. If we left the administration of this activity up to the Federal goverment they would do the same thing that they are doing to OUR BLM lands, close roads and cut off access. I'm glad that the Treasure Act is working for you guys in England, with your history of goverment interferance in the private sector, that is the best you can hope for. For us, here, freedom is too ingrained in our hearts and minds. Too much blood has been shed in the name of Freedom for us to let anybody take it away.

Honorable Mention has been removed from this post. I questioned how it come about and no one knows. It was never meant to be, it's history. End of subject.

$15 for a Rev war artifact. No disrespect but did that $15 make a difference in your finances. This is where history prevails. Just my opinion.

$15 for a Rev war artifact. No disrespect but did that $15 make a difference in your finances. This is where history prevails. Just my opinion.

That's my line of thinking as well. And if the $15 really did make a difference in the person's finances, they probably should be out looking for a better line of work and not detecting.

The only time I would ever sell a find is if it was too valuable for me to feel comfortable keeping it in the house. I would be too concerned about having bad luck and it getting stolen. So anything over $10,000, I would probably sell for that reason. It wouldn't bring me any joy keeping it locked away in a bank vault somewhere. I'd rather somebody else with a better security system for items such as this be able to enjoy it.

That's my line of thinking as well. And if the $15 really did make a difference in the person's finances, they probably should be out looking for a better line of work and not detecting.

The only time I would ever sell a find is if it was too valuable for me to feel comfortable keeping it in the house. I would be too concerned about having bad luck and it getting stolen. So anything over $10,000, I would probably sell for that reason. It wouldn't bring me any joy keeping it locked away in a bank vault somewhere. I'd rather somebody else with a better security system for items such as this be able to enjoy it.

Sure $15 isn't much but it's not like half a set of dug cufflinks is anything special either. The funny part is when a TRUE rev War item is posted it seems many people don't get that that's the time to bring out the historic artifact lingo!

Its crazy though that a rev war artifact would only sell for $15 when a stupid bullet from the Civil War could sell for $3-$5.

Its crazy though that a rev war artifact would only sell for $15 when a stupid bullet from the Civil War could sell for $3-$5.

I guess I missed the part where there was a Rev War artifact posted, those cufflinks look civilian to me. I've sold several stupid bullets between $20-$100 and really, I don't give a damn if anyone thinks I should or shouldn't.

The main point for me is the stuff I like to look at and plan on passing on to my kids will remain in the display cases I purchased for that purpose, and the rest that would collect dust in boxes will be put on ebay. I regularly sell to customers in areas of the country where they would otherwise have no access to CW artifacts. To me it is a win-win. I have no problem with the folks who "will never sell anything" and no problem with those who sell it all. I fall somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back