2 sets of COLONIAL CUFFLINKS selling on EBAY

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Found these today and selling them. These TWO SETS of Colonial Cufflinks were dug on a Revolutionary War battle ground in Western NJ. They are completely intact and are incredible rare! The cufflink in the upper portion of the picture has a Loral wreath design and the one below has a 2 HAND ETCHED flowers on the octagonal button. I believe the top one is copper and the other is a brass alloy.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    319 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree Papa Gear, same here the English Heritage would rather see ancient coins and artifacts rot in the ground, were there has been modern farming for the past hundred years, the reason is context, they are not interseted in items out of context, and pay farmers now to plough shallow or minimium cultivation, saving the undisturbed layers they are only intrested in....the rules for paying them to do this..NO DETECTERISTS allowed. So the finds which we are intrested in, which 95% of the time are in the first 6" get left and destroyed by the modern machiney, like power harrows.
SS

With you all the way my friend. Next year I plan on coming home for my Mothers 70th Birthday. I have an aunt that lives on a on old farm in Cornwall. I will post my finds once back in the USA.

With you all the way my friend. Next year I plan on coming home for my Mothers 70th Birthday. I have an aunt that lives on a on old farm in Cornwall. I will post my finds once back in the USA.
Cornwall is a fantastic place, I have been there many Times .The finds should be good to , plenty history there.:icon_thumleft:

Great finds and i wish you luck

I guess I'll chime in ...... so again, why is the honorable mention?

Personally, I do not think there is anything "honorable" about this post. Nice finds.

-Buck

I have performed good deeds for landowners (like finding a lost tool with my detector for one yesterday), located rings and lost items, and even digging CW relics to give to elementary school children to commemorate the CW 150th anniversary and never had an Honorable Mention. Guess I need to start selling stuff. No wonder permission is getting harder to get with people openly selling stuff on the internet.

I have performed good deeds for landowners (like finding a lost tool with my detector for one yesterday), located rings and lost items, and even digging CW relics to give to elementary school children to commemorate the CW 150th anniversary and never had an Honorable Mention. Guess I need to start selling stuff. No wonder permission is getting harder to get with people openly selling stuff on the internet.

Hate to break it to you then, but it has been happening basically as long as the internet has been around. Besides, what's wrong with selling something you find... it's your find to do what you want with. I have sold many things over the years and paid for every detector I've ever owned in doing it, and so what? I didn't start detecting for the money, nor have I remained doing it for the money, but when I find something worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and I'd rather the cash than the find, it goes. It's not in my personal taste to make a sale part of my post here, but it doesn't bother me seeing one. I would guess there's not a lot of my landowners checking out this site.

PS: Most people who defend the history aspect change their tune when it's their find that's worth a pile of cash and they get the $$$. Also that % goes up when they're not the richest guy on the block.

Hate to break it to you then, but it has been happening basically as long as the INTERNET has been around. Besides, what's wrong with selling something you find... it's your find to do what you want with. I have sold many things over the years and paid for every detector I've ever owned in doing it, and so what? I didn't start detecting for the money, nor have I remained doing it for the money, but when I find something worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and I'd rather the cash than the find, it goes. It's not in my personal taste to make a sale part of my post here, but it doesn't bother me seeing one. I would guess there's not a lot of my landowners checking out this site.

PS: Most people who defend the history aspect change their tune when it's their find that's worth a pile of cash and they get the $$$. Also that % goes up when they're not the richest guy on the block.

I'm not saying that he (or anyone) can't sell their finds but wondering how that warrants a HM award IP? I'm also saying that between the stupid shows about detecting on TV and making our sport look like a "For Profit" venture, don't be surprised that when you ask for permission to hunt next time that the landowner comes back with "What's my cut?". I'm sure our archaeologist friends are licking their chops as are people who want to stop detecting everywhere.

Most of the landowners I deal with are fully uninterested in the finds I make, and don't want them. I'm sure if I found an item worth a large sum of money, the land owner would be interested in it. Giving the land owner a share would be an honourable thing to do, however most of the land owners of my sites have incomes that make mine look like pennies.
As for selling finds, my personal belief is that truly rare finds belong in the hands of those individuals that can really appreciate it. I wouldn't even be opposed to museum donations provided the piece was actually going to be displayed, some credit given to me and not sent to the back with the hundreds or thousands of other boxes of recorded finds.

I'm not saying that he (or anyone) can't sell their finds but wondering how that warrants a HM award IP? I'm also saying that between the stupid shows about detecting on TV and making our sport look like a "For Profit" venture, don't be surprised that when you ask for permission to hunt next time that the landowner comes back with "What's my cut?". I'm sure our archaeologist friends are licking their chops as are people who want to stop detecting everywhere.

Yes, the shows don't help anything, but if you think about it, being happy as a clam with a $15 relic sale tends so show that person is not hitting too many big scores. As for my hunts I'll gladly give any landowner 99% of my finds because at the end of each hunt I'm lucky to have one thing I like and have never found before. The rest just goes on the pile, so if it took that to get me in, I'm cool with it.

American Diggers is so ridiculous I would have to think the average person understands it's just about ratings and they'll do anything to get them.

Yes, the shows don't help anything, but if you think about it, being happy as a clam with a $15 relic sale tends so show that person is not hitting too many big scores. As for my hunts I'll gladly give any landowner 99% of my finds because at the end of each hunt I'm lucky to have one thing I like and have never found before. The rest just goes on the pile, so if it took that to get me in, I'm cool with it.

American Diggers is so ridiculous I would have to think the average person understands it's just about ratings and they'll do anything to get them.

I am in total agreement with you on that IP. I hope you are right about people disregarding those shows. However, Tenn. Digger told me last night that another of his hunting friends went into someone's home and they had a crosscut saw in their garage. The saw owner told Tenn. Digger's buddy that he saw a show on TV a few weeks ago where they dug up a saw just like his and it was worth $3,000-LOL. The over inflated values are ridiculous too. Nothing about those shows benefits our hobby. HH, Quindy.

Personally, I do not think there is anything "honorable" about this post. Nice finds.

-Buck

Either I'm lost or something is wrong with this picture. WHY is this an Honorable Mention? Is it because he/she is selling/sold the item? I mean no disrespect to MD101 because he/she didn't bestow the honor upon himself. I was under the impression that a HM was given to someone who returned a lost item; ie. class ring returned etc. I would appreciate it if one of the Admins would explain it. Thanks, Breezie

Last edited:
Might as well put it on the banner as well...go the hole hog.

SS

I am in total agreement with you on that IP. I hope you are right about people disregarding those shows. However, Tenn. Digger told me last night that another of his hunting friends went into someone's home and they had a crosscut saw in their garage. The saw owner told Tenn. Digger's buddy that he saw a show on TV a few weeks ago where they dug up a saw just like his and it was worth $3,000-LOL. The over inflated values are ridiculous too. Nothing about those shows benefits our hobby. HH, Quindy.

I agree with Breezie. Here is what is stated for the Honorable Mention forum:

"Countless items have been found over the years, and returned to their owners through TreasureNet. This forum is where the good deeds of our members get noticed!"

Although this is an outstanding recovery and I congratulated MD101 for the finds, I believe this should have been in the Today's Finds section. Whether he got 15 cents or $15k for them on E-bay I could care less.
BTW- I found some old 35mm slides at an antique store and sold them on E-bay last week for a tidy profit. Do I have a shot at Honorable Mention too? :dontknow:

Definition..................
honorable mentionn. A citation to one who has performed well in a competition but has not been awarded a prize.
:laughing7:

Attachments

• 16770360.png
    16770360.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 75

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back