2 sets of COLONIAL CUFFLINKS selling on EBAY

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Found these today and selling them. These TWO SETS of Colonial Cufflinks were dug on a Revolutionary War battle ground in Western NJ. They are completely intact and are incredible rare! The cufflink in the upper portion of the picture has a Loral wreath design and the one below has a 2 HAND ETCHED flowers on the octagonal button. I believe the top one is copper and the other is a brass alloy.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    319 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honourable mention:dontknow:

Is the sale funds going to charity?

Is this todays finds?

Plus those Rev War soldiers loved to dine whilst fighting!

I was super happy to find 2 complete sets in one day ssooo for me it is
Im not sure yet its a possiblity
Is this todays finds?
Yeah I dug them earlier today
I thank them for thier service !

Is this todays finds?

Ageed !!
In my country a sale of such things, directly from a battle ground, would also be seen almost as "grave robbery" and be most desturbing to many people.
They belong in a museum showing your countries great history, in my humble opinion !! :icon_thumleft:

Ageed !!
In my country a sale of such things, directly from a battle ground, would also be seen almost as "grave robbery" and be most desturbing to many people.
They belong in a museum showing your countries great history, in my humble opinion !! :icon_thumleft:

While I can see the merit in your comments, and applaud your opinion, I have to disagree. Obviously no museum has thought it worth its while to look for these relics and most government historical societies would rather that they corrode and rot back into the earth. At least MD101 rescued them and has made them available to someone who will will appreciate them. I just looked at his link to Ebay and I think that a museum would find the price offered as very reasonable for such a piece of history. If no one buys them, I am sure that MD101 will have them displayed in his home for his friends and family to view and ponder. Much better than sitting and rotting in the ground, right? :icon_thumleft:

While I can see the merit in your comments, and applaud your opinion, I have to disagree. Obviously no museum has thought it worth its while to look for these relics and most government historical societies would rather that they corrode and rot back into the earth. At least MD101 rescued them and has made them available to someone who will will appreciate them. I just looked at his link to Ebay and I think that a museum would find the price offered as very reasonable for such a piece of history. If no one buys them, I am sure that MD101 will have them displayed in his home for his friends and family to view and ponder. Much better than sitting and rotting in the ground, right? :icon_thumleft:

Thanks papa I just thought that someone might really enjoy displaying them so I thought they could go to another home!

This is the age old debate of history versa money. History wins everytime for me. The problem is that the more well known the history, the higher the price. For me I can get the least known very rare items from history for a fraction of their worth (to me). I believe the market is an acceptable place to appreciate these pieces. However, the best balance is that they have been sold LEGALLY & recorded properly. This way the information is not lost & history benefits. Museum's can not & will not display everything, but with good record keeping the balance is struck. I never sell anything, but never judge those that want to, as long as the legal route is taken & the landowner is rewarded.

This is the age old debate of history versa money. History wins everytime for me. The problem is that the more well known the history, the higher the price. For me I can get the least known very rare items from history for a fraction of their worth (to me). I believe the market is an acceptable place to appreciate these pieces. However, the best balance is that they have been sold LEGALLY & recorded properly. This way the information is not lost & history benefits. Museum's can not & will not display everything, but with good record keeping the balance is struck. I never sell anything, but never judge those that want to, as long as the legal route is taken & the landowner is rewarded.

:icon_thumright:

I agree with the recording of it but unfortunately most government historians will not validate a find unless they have their thieving hands all over it, and then they will just destroy the enjoyment of recovering the relic. The Federal and State Governments should never be allowed to trump a private property finder in regards to ownership. In all my cases I have been lucky in that the property owners just wanted to see what I found. They have never asked for, or demanded, the items I have found.
BTW, I am an Ex-Pat and shudder at what has happened to "Ol'Blighty" over the past 25 years.....

Ultimately, this is about the find. MD101 found it and as such, he will be the one to validate it recovery to who ever owns it. It is a great find and I am glad that he shared it with us on this forum. Well done MD101!! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
I agree with the recording of it but unfortunately most government historians will not validate a find unless they have their thieving hands all over it, and then they will just destroy the enjoyment of recovering the relic. The Federal and State Governments should never be allowed to trump a private property finder in regards to ownership. In all my cases I have been lucky in that the property owners just wanted to see what I found. They have never asked for, or demanded, the items I have found.
BTW, I am an Ex-Pat and shudder at what has happened to "Ol'Blighty" over the past 25 years.....

Ultimately, this is about the find. MD101 found it and as such, he will be the one to validate it recovery to who ever owns it. It is a great find and I am glad that he shared it with us on this forum. Well done MD101!! :icon_thumleft:
That's where your Laws have it wrong. You can record here without losing it. Plus if you sell items you found on private land, I would argue you have a moral responsibility to the owner, otherwise I call it greed.

I agree Papa Gear, same here the English Heritage would rather see ancient coins and artifacts rot in the ground, were there has been modern farming for the past hundred years, the reason is context, they are not interseted in items out of context, and pay farmers now to plough shallow or minimium cultivation, saving the undisturbed layers they are only intrested in....the rules for paying them to do this..NO DETECTERISTS allowed. So the finds which we are intrested in, which 95% of the time are in the first 6" get left and destroyed by the modern machiney, like power harrows.

SS

Why is this honorable mention?
Was wondering that myself. Not that other people have mentioned they are selling an item on eBay in the past but gee-whiz!

Got to wonder what passes through for Honorable Mentions and Banners. I'll have to do some more reading in here to see if it wasn't watered down.

Hey, I'd like to watch the auction, and I can't find it....Can you post a link?

Found these today and selling them. These TWO SETS of Colonial Cufflinks were dug on a Revolutionary War battle ground in Western NJ. They are completely intact and are incredible rare! The cufflink in the upper portion of the picture has a Loral wreath design and the one below has a 2 HAND ETCHED flowers on the octagonal button. I believe the top one is copper and the other is a brass alloy.

I would think that they are a later drop. Can't see to many fighting men wearing such trinkets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back