2 Draped Bust Large Cents + King George III

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The three detectateers got out to one of Kyles new sites that he has been jibbering about all year. I got ahold of the landowner back in August and she said that since the crop was up we should wait until harvest. Well folks harvest has begun. After contacting her again just the other day she said she had time to discuss it with her husband and he was fine with it. I told her that we can't wait to show her the goodies recovered from her land. We began on a foggy sunday morning by scattering out in the field. Let me just say that the field we began hitting this morning is not the field that has Kyle chirping like a cricket in heat. :tongue3:That field still has crop in. I was humming along for about an hour when I got a signal that seems to me I have gotten a million times before. Penny / Dime on the analog meter. 4 inches deep was a nice 1801 Draped Bust Largie. The sun came out from the fog to warm it up to a comfortable 60 degrees as a smile got plastered to my jib. Dropped musketball here flat buttons there indicated that we were doing A- OK. 8) About another hour later I got a nice solid pulltab reading which turned out to be the K.G. III copper , not bad shape but a very thin obvious counterfeit. It still spent nicely i'm sure. A nice couple soon pulled their car up and began asking questions about what we were finding and proceeded to tell me that they both grew up in the area and would be glad to give us some sites that might do well for us. After talking to them for a while and thanking them very much I was off again. About 20 minutes and more dropped musketballs later I got another very familiar signal. Another Draped bust large cent. It looks to me to be an 1807.This ended my hunt for the day. 3 coppers today, 6 coppers today for the group, 24 coppers for the year for Zeus, 51 coppers this year for the group. Not bad if I do say so myself. :icon_king: Thanks everyone.
Chris
PIC00036-1.jpg

PIC00041.jpg

Upvote 0
I really want to find some coins like that! That is way wicked
awesome! I found two memorial pennies and a five pound chunk'a
lead yesterday. Whooop tee flippin do... I might as well be swingin'
a long handled plunger. "Hey look I found...nope, just more crap....

HH,
Ramapirate (King O' the Crap :icon_king:)

Don in SJ said:
Congrats on another successful hunt, 2008 has been a great year for you so far, and wish all the future years continue to do so. Has your group ever hunted any cellarholes in the woods in your area? The reason I ask is to know whether the condition of the coppers is any better once you get away from the fertilized fields, or is the soil in the area just not kind to coppers.

Here in South Jersey, it varies widely in the woods, some areas the coins look like the day they were dropped (not often found though) and in general, all coppers are better than most of the field finds, even though our soil is highly acidic. (That's the reason Jersey Tomatoes grow so well here ;D) I believe the savior in the condition of the coppers in our wooded sites is the fact the soil drains very fast, being so sandy, but if in a low area, they can be worst than any farm field find..................

Again, congrats on 3 large coppers again being found.

Don
Thanks Don I appreciate your kind words. For the most part just about every coin dug from a farm field has at least a corrosion quality to it. Detail can be sparse due to many factors including acidity of the soil, chemicals used on the farm etc. I found that farmers who use only manure fertilizer are the better sites to hit. I agree with your statement about drainage having an effect and the sandier the soil the better shape the copper. We do very little cellar hole sites at all. Mostly farm fields and lawns in the summer. Lawn coins are usually in better shape. Lawns can prove a challenge due to extreme depth of the coin due to applied topsoil over the years. I like a challenge though and found many coppers at around 8 or 9 inches this year.I hope to provide you with many more opportunities to identify my many copper finds.Thanks again Don. :thumbsup:
Chris

Ramapirate said:
I really want to find some coins like that! That is way wicked
awesome! I found two memorial pennies and a five pound chunk'a
lead yesterday. Whooop tee flippin do... I might as well be swingin'
a long handled plunger. "Hey look I found...nope, just more crap....

HH,
Ramapirate (King O' the Crap :icon_king:)
Ramapirate, You crack me up man. I love your avatar. That is one of my favorite movies and I thought Val Kilmers part as Doc Holiday was top notch. "That's my Huckleberry" one of my favorite one liners.
Chris

Chris, those are SO cool :thumbsup:

I'd be happy with ANY one of you're finds out there :)

All the best,
watercolor

watercolor said:
Chris, those are SO cool :thumbsup:

I'd be happy with ANY one of you're finds out there :)

All the best,
watercolor
Thanks watercolor. I agree they are awesome and I want to keep finding them. It is my passion.
Chris

hey chris,

boy they came out of the ground nice - bigtime congrats !!

kevin

Sweet Deal Chris....I think I have 3 copper's to my name,and all of them are dateless >:( .....Helluva Hunt Bud!!! :thumbsup:

All kidding aside, you have yourself some awesome finds there. I would really like to
get into something like that one of these days. Until then, I really enjoy the hunt. I
hope to spend a lot of time this winter investigating spots around NC/SC. We have
some pretty great places to hunt. It's not all lead and memorial pennies. This is a great
hobby!

HH,
Ramapirate

Chris :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I Luuuuuv those large coppas==Excellent my friend :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ramapirate said:
All kidding aside, you have yourself some awesome finds there. I would really like to
get into something like that one of these days. Until then, I really enjoy the hunt. I
hope to spend a lot of time this winter investigating spots around NC/SC. We have
some pretty great places to hunt. It's not all lead and memorial pennies. This is a great
hobby!

HH,
Ramapirate
You are from a nice part of the country. Tobacco country should produce more colonial silver coins on average due to that cash crop. My part of Pa. had some very hard scrabble and poor colonial pioneers. Hence the coppers. That is my opinion though.
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back