Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2 Days in Ark.= Over 100 CW Relics, Rare Musketoon Bullet, Teardrops, & More

With Dman on injured reserve with a broken leg, Tenn. Josh stepped up to the plate in the true spirit of the Tennessee Trio and the Volunteer state to sub for him on a trip to meet veteran Oklahoma relic hunter John Freeman to hunt Arkansas that we had planned for a few months. Unfortunately, John's son J.J. and brother-in-law Terry had to opt out this time due to work issues so there were just 3 of us. I wrote an article "38 Years of Relic Hunting" about John that is in the current issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.
We hunted Wednesday and Thursday. The labels on the pictures tell the story. John had the best find with a hard to dig .69 cal. 2 ring Musketoon bullet. In that area, It is generally said to be associated with use by colored troops. He recovered 11 teardrop bullets and Josh and I dug our first of those pistol bullets. Josh dug 4 eagle buttons including a coat size "I" and John dug a GS eagle. The soil there is not kind to those buttons.
Josh dug a half of a British made Issac & Campbell brass knapsack hook. I got another Sharps Ringtail which was the first bullet I dug there. John dug the most bullets again. Note the 2 lead pencils and unknown shaped lead object I dug. Could be a soldier made watch fob as I have seen some brass ones shaped like that in the relic books. All ideas welcomed. Note the lead piece in the pic of John's first day finds with the hole in it???
Notice the last pic. I guess I had the Oddball find of this hunt. It's a centerfire pistol cartridge (obviously post CW) that had something white in it it that I recognized. I made the pic, showed it to John and Josh, and pulled the 4 hole porcelain button from the open cartridge end. The button could be CW. How that occurred, we will NEVER know. John theorized that some kids may have been playing there and put the button they found in the brass hull but who knows.
We had a great hunt with a good friend, good weather, and Dman acting as hunt reporter with daily updates to interested parties back home. He'll be there next time. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• John in Ark..jpg
    John in Ark..jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Tenn. Josh in Ark..jpg
    Tenn. Josh in Ark..jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Quindy in Ark..jpg
    Quindy in Ark..jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Josh & Quindy\'s Ark. Relics-Day 1.jpg
    Josh & Quindy\'s Ark. Relics-Day 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,914
  • Quindy\'s ODD Find.jpg
    Quindy\'s ODD Find.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,973
  • John\'s Rare .69 Cal. Musketoon.jpg
    John\'s Rare .69 Cal. Musketoon.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,959
  • Quindy Lead Pencil & Object.jpg
    Quindy Lead Pencil & Object.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 2nd Day Ark. Relics Combined.jpg
    2nd Day Ark. Relics Combined.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,897
  • John\'s Ark. Relics.jpg
    John\'s Ark. Relics.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,927
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Days in Ark.= Over 100 CW Relics, Rare Musketoon Bullet, Teardrops, & More

Wow Brad! :o I now know why you were so looking forward to hunting with the Arkie fella's! Ya'll did good! :icon_pirat: Super finds! Hate that Burt didn't get to go, but he kept everyone informed on what you all were finding....and that he would get 1/2 of what was found. :icon_thumleft: I'm sure he's thrilled with all those relics coming his way. :laughing7:
Glad ya had a great trip.

Nana :hello:

Re: 2 Days in Ark.= Over 100 CW Relics, Rare Musketoon Bullet, Teardrops, & More

Thanks Joe, dand, Deb, Damon, d2, Willbill, Roger, MK, 70monte, Hutch, CS, Hispan, & Herbie.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Randy and I hope you and Guy can get out to hunt soon.

Rob, Dman did a good job reporting the hunt play by play but he can broadcast live next time-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Donnie. I really wanted to find one but they are pretty scarce. This is John's 6th Musketoon bullet in 38 years of hunting the Western Theater. I wanted to dig a Hawg too but had to settle for the teardrop. Looks like plenty of rain for us next week. HH, Quindy.

Thanks MM. John lives up to what I said in my article about him being "the best relic hunter I know" every time we hunt together. I dug two 3 ringers at a true 11 inches deep with the F75 and they have sections of hot soil there. In some cases, the display had NO reading but I could hear a signal and I had a narrow pinpoint. They would be bullets half the time too. Weird. HH, Q.

Dman, you received a lot of praise from the group reading your relic hunt progress press stories. You will be there next time. Josh did a good job aggravating me like you would have too. Q.

Steve, I can't say I have ever seen that bullet but I know someone who will know. Will let you know Bud. HH, Quindy.

Mike, you will need to get a Fisher to hunt with us-LOL. Josh and I used our F75s and John used his old CZ-7A. Some of that soil had very high mineral and iron content. I'll put John's bullet pic on your website soon. HH, Q.

Nana, when we talked to Dman the first night he told me to tell Josh that:
1. He wanted his half of the relics cleaned up nice.
2. He wanted his half in a nice wooden display box.
3. He got to pick his half of the relics from all Josh dug to put in the box.

I'm sure you are not surprised either Nana-LOL. HH, Q.

Happy Thanksgiving to all Tnet members!!!

that's a sweet hunt! great pics too! :thumbsup:

Now that is my kinda Piddlin :laughing7: I just love pulling CW relics out of the ground, there is really nothing better. Awesome finds. :icon_thumleft:

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
that's a sweet hunt! great pics too! :thumbsup:
Thanks HMN. The pic of the 2nd day finds were made with Josh's phone. I made a pic with my Nikon and for some reason it was not there. Must have been a ghost. Thanks for looking and continue your great hunting this Fall. Thanks for looking Quindy.
Minime said:
Now that is my kinda Piddlin :laughing7: I just love pulling CW relics out of the ground, there is really nothing better. Awesome finds. :icon_thumleft:
It was a lot of fun Colleen. John's back was giving him problems but he hung in there. I was a little sore but Tenn. Josh ran around like the Energizer Bunny. He's 20 years younger than John and myself. I guaranteed he'd dig 30 relics and he had more like 50 with the brass brads from knbapsacks. We started calling him "Brad"-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Hey Quindy Great hunt and finds Tenn 3 !!! dawg

Great Post Quindy ! Thats alot of relics :o Congrats on that musketoon button :icon_sunny: I keep saying it But some day I will get down to where there was some CW action and give a go ! Happy Relics :hello2: M.R.

CMDiamonddawg said:
Hey Quindy Great hunt and finds Tenn 3 !!! dawg
Dawg, it was the Tenn. Trio-1 and the Oklahoma connection -2 I guess. Thanks for looking, Quindy.
MaineRelic said:
Great Post Quindy ! Thats alot of relics :o Congrats on that musketoon button :icon_sunny: I keep saying it But some day I will get down to where there was some CW action and give a go ! Happy Relics :hello2: M.R.
Ark. has some bullets we don't dig in Tenn. MR. I wanted to dig a Musketoon, Ark. Hawg, and Teardrop bullet but had to settle for only the teardrop personally. CW relics are fun to dig. You do very well in the NE. HH, Quindy.

i know you had a great time.enjoyed your post.have a happy thanksgiving.

Hey Q, Looks like ya'll had a fantastic hunt and a great trip! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: Breezie

sweet finds!!!! MR TUFF

Great hunt sir! Nice relics again. Thank you for documenting the hunt to share :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

Just slipped in under the radar here to quickly congratulate you on the great hunt, and excellent article in W&E Treasures :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

rebelrouser said:
i know you had a great time.enjoyed your post.have a happy thanksgiving.
Thanks Don. Happy Thanksgiving to you and go by and aggravate Dman when you can. HH, Quindy.
Breezie said:
Hey Q, Looks like ya'll had a fantastic hunt and a great trip! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: Breezie
Thanks Breezie. Take it easy on the poor contractors-LOL. Q.
Mr Tuff said:
sweet finds!!!! MR TUFF
We appreciate you taking your time to look and reply. I hope you continue the good Fall of digging that you have started MR TUFF. HH, Quindy.
TnMountains said:
Great hunt sir! Nice relics again. Thank you for documenting the hunt to share :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns
Thanks Richard my friend. I hope you have been finding some good Indian artifacts down there. Happy Thanksgiving, Quindy.
BuckleBoy said:
Just slipped in under the radar here to quickly congratulate you on the great hunt, and excellent article in W&E Treasures :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Thanks BB. I know how busy you have been this Fall in LA. Since you have been too busy to research and dig, I have tried to keep you entertained with some Trio hunts and articles this year. I look forward to the day that you have completed your graduate education and have time to hunt and post again. Hillbilly is looking for someone to buy his lunch during Christmas vacation-LOL. Happy Thanksgiving Bud, Quindy.

Great trip Quindy! Man, you're EVERYWHERE. I dug last year my first Musketoon bullet...nowhere near as nice as that one though. I dying to dig one of those teardrop pistol bullets. Keep that coil moving man! :hello2:

Nice finds Quindy! Keep it up!

Cool finds, I'd love to find some of that lead :hello2:

sekypaleo said:
Great trip Quindy! Man, you're EVERYWHERE. I dug last year my first Musketoon bullet...nowhere near as nice as that one though. I dying to dig one of those teardrop pistol bullets. Keep that coil moving man! :hello2:
Thanks Bill. Get out and find us a new camp to hunt where all the soldiers had the "dropsy" and relics are laying everywhere-LOL. HH, Quindy.
Old Stonewall said:
Nice finds Quindy! Keep it up!
Thanks and I intend to Richard. Again, good job with the Grandkids. HH, Quindy.
sirenahunter said:
Cool finds, I'd love to find some of that lead :hello2:
There's still some out there to be dug SH. Good luck, Quindy.

From one turkey to another, HAPPY THANKSGIVING Quindy! :tongue3:

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Turkey 2.jpg
    Turkey 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,284

ModernMiner said:
From one turkey to another, HAPPY THANKSGIVING Quindy! :tongue3:
Same to you DUG. Quit "dragging" around Raleigh and get out and find something. HH, Q.

Attachments

• Modern Miner.jpg
    Modern Miner.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,012

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back