1st Find

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well I was thinking it would be nice if everyone could share their 1st find. I will load mine later. Now if you don’t have your first then share whatever is closest.
Add state found please
NW Georgia

Attachments

• IMG_4486.jpeg
    IMG_4486.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Upvote 7
May be twisting the rules a bit but I have a few I count as firsts, all found in kansas

True first, found when I was very young. it bounced around in my rock collection and I had no idea it was native until I had got into collecting and revisited in college. I had found several artifacts by that point so it has never felt like my first find.
IMG_0733.jpeg

This is the first one I found and was aware I had an artifact
IMG_0734.jpeg

My first arrowhead I actually pulled out of river in a field school it was a beautiful black colored point with multiple notches, I was excited to show I had the eye so I showed the teach and park guide and the guide basically said thanks and pocketed it… still wish I’d kept my mouth shut… anyway this last one is my first arrowhead that i actually have.
IMG_0735.jpeg

Any 1st is good. I don’t have my 1st point so I’m going with something else

My first I found crawling around under our house steps when I was a child, I gave it to my mother because I thought it was something my dad had lost. I grew up walking creeks and looking but never found anything. I was out with my wife on a creek gravel bar when I found my first looked for point. I saw it laying there after she walked over it and I snatched it up and just stared. It wasn’t much to look at but it was something I had spent my life trying to find. I ended up with two points, a broke, and a scraper that day. The round thing in the second pic was just some clay. East/SE Texas (edit for location)
F13DB931-A0CF-453E-B8EC-3F23097CE30E.png
96E3ABD1-C30C-4CBB-B150-A1C570FD74B2.jpeg

Last edited:
May be twisting the rules a bit but I have a few I count as firsts, all found in kansas

True first, found when I was very young. it bounced around in my rock collection and I had no idea it was native until I had got into collecting and revisited in college. I had found several artifacts by that point so it has never felt like my first find.
View attachment 2154306

View attachment 2154307

My first arrowhead I actually pulled out of river in a field school it was a beautiful black colored point with multiple notches, I was excited to show I had the eye so I showed the teach and park guide and the guide basically said thanks and pocketed it… still wish I’d kept my mouth shut… anyway this last one is my first arrowhead that i actually have.
View attachment 2154308
Nice color on the triangle

Not my 1st (my 4th actually; somehow I lost the 1st 3 when I was a kid) but this was the one that really got me started. In 1986 I was waiting to meet a friend so we could walk to the movie theater; between our house is a creek and while I was waiting for him I decided to check out a gravel bar. I didn't find anything on the gravel bar but I saw a few rocks in the water; I scoped my hand in the sand next to those rocks and pulled this out; pure luck basically. I only cleaned it with water and a soft bristle tooth brush; most of the creek stain is still on it. Personal find in a creek in Columbus Georgia; Size is 3 3/8

Attachments

• 20240616_220052.jpg
    20240616_220052.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240616_220058.jpg
    20240616_220058.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 21
Not my 1st (my 4th actually; somehow I lost the 1st 3 when I was a kid) but this was the one that really got me started. In 1986 I was waiting to meet a friend so we could walk to the movie theater; between our house is a creek and while I was waiting for him I decided to check out a gravel bar. I didn't find anything on the gravel bar but I saw a few rocks in the water; I scoped my hand in the sand next to those rocks and pulled this out; pure luck basically. I only cleaned it with water and a soft bristle tooth brush; most of the creek stain is still on it. Personal find in a creek in Columbus Georgia; Size is 3 3/8
Beautiful color. Love it.

View attachment 2154306

View attachment 2154307

View attachment 2154308
Great little blunt.

Awesome colors Mike
Kirk?
Surprisingly I just don’t find many of them.

My wife was first, with this point, found in our vegetable garden back around 2008.
IMG_3207.jpeg
A nice, quartz-type example.

My first find (of an actual tool) was this flint blade, found 50 yds from my house, in 2023.
IMG_3208.jpeg

As a side note: I collected rock samples since approximately 1968.
I never found anything remotely resembling an artifact until we move to this location. Now I have about 30 pounds of flint flakes and several worked pieces. 👍🏼

I found quite a bit of stuff when iI was young. Unfortunately all of it was left at my parents home when I moved out west and then disappeared. Don't know what happened to it. But the first point i found out west was this one. Interesting story. I was trophy deer hunting in a very remote part of northeast Nevada. As I walked a little draw I spotted a big rock that looked just like a teepee. It even had a opening in the bottom. I thought it was cool looking so I walked over to take a closer look. This point was laying right on the surface right inside the opening. I searched that whole area several times after that and never found another point there.

Attachments

• 20240617_212717.jpg
    20240617_212717.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back