1st Draped Bust Large Cent, Beautiful 18thc Gold Gilt Coat Button & More!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I had a great time Saturday saving some history. It was a long day, on the road at 6am & didn't get back until midnight (3 hour drive each way). We went to 2 different sites; a 1774 home site & an 1835 plantation site. The 1770s site was only inhabited 20 years so everything found there was strictly colonial (other than modern bullets & junk). I found a beautiful gold gilt colonial button, a tombac button, piece of a shoe buckle & a mystery item. It was the home site of a of a famous Revolutionary War politician (sorry, I can't divulge more!) & I feel privileged to find items that he could've worn & touched.

The second site we searched was the site of an 1835 plantation which now has a modern home built over the old site (I went to the site when it was still standing when I was a kid). I found my first draped bust large cent! Too bad it's toast & I can't see a date but I'm not complaining. I also found a few other neat relics.
That Ike dollar about gave me a heart attack popping out of the ground at an old site like that! Any help with the what's it items would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking & HH!

Attachments

• button_front.jpg
    button_front.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 186
  • button_back.jpg
    button_back.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 197
  • LC_back.jpg
    LC_back.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 202
  • LC_front.jpg
    LC_front.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 199
  • jp.jpg
    jp.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 203
  • colonial_whatit.jpg
    colonial_whatit.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 187
  • 1835_whatit.jpg
    1835_whatit.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 1835_misc.jpg
    1835_misc.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 1835_misc1.jpg
    1835_misc1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 1835_coins.jpg
    1835_coins.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 13
Some nice early finds there Josh. I particularly like that fancy 18th century button. It resembles several I've found that have an open-work design, but yours is of solid construction. BTW - I like the way you did your pics with the labels. You should print out all your posts and put in a 3-ring binder. I've been doing that for 8-9 years now and wish I started earlier. It'll be so much fun to go back through those when I retire from this hobby one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back