1975 error nickle?

butch325

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I was wondering if someone could i.d. this nickle for me. It has liberty stamped in reverse on his chest and it looks like god in reverse behind his head and a ring around the edge of the coin that is not usually there. I figure this is a double stamp coin and its kind of neat. Wondering what you all think about it and if it might be of any real value to collectors

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0001.pdf
    274.1 KB · Views: 392
looks as if a nickle fell on top during the mint process and left a inprint, or some one did it in a vise, neat find

Upvote 0
You can see the mirror image of LIBERTY and part of the IN GOD WE TRUST on the top of Jefferson's head and under the nickles LIBERTY 1975, with the orientation and all it would make it a mirror image from/of the front of a penny!

Mike

Upvote 0
You can see the mirror image of LIBERTY and part of the IN GOD WE TRUST on the top of Jefferson's head and under the nickles LIBERTY 1975, with the orientation and all it would make it a mirror image from/of the front of a penny!

Mike
Too bad we cant see the date.

Upvote 0
The date would be along Jefferson's eye and cheek, maybe a better photo would show it. I can make out the D mint mark. Can make out a 9 and possibly a 7 so looking like a 197?!

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can see a mirror image of the word LIBERTY. View attachment 627147
Cool Find
I see 1977
Nickel errorinvert2.jpgNickel errorinvert1.jpg

Upvote 0
So you all think it happened after minting and not during the mint process? Would it be at all valuable then? I can definatley see where a penny would line up with it perfectly, that is so cool!

Upvote 0
So you all think it happened after minting and not during the mint process? Would it be at all valuable then? I can definatley see where a penny would line up with it perfectly, that is so cool!
The penny is Denver mint. What mint is the nickel?

Geez I dont know if a copper penny would imprint a nickel. Maybe we could do a test. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is definitely just damaged from having another coin pressed into it, worth five cents.

Upvote 0
This is called a "Clashed Die" They are pretty common in smaller denomination coins. If you brought it into our shop it would most likely be valued between $1.00-$5.00. Cool find though.

Upvote 0
CCM are you implying this is mint damage/error or post-mint? Still learning, so this is not an attack at you, just wanting to learn!

ADDED: Also wouldn't a "Clashed Die" be of the same coin, obverse and reverse of a nickle, but not of two different coins?

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A clashed die would be from the obverse die and the reverse die striking each other without a planchet between them. Some damage would be evident on coins struck from clashed dies, this would show up most clearly on the high point of the dies,which would be the low points of the coin. You can't have two obverse dies from different denominations clashing, this is not possible. The damage on this coin is also on the high points, unlike from a clashed die. It is just damaged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CCM are you implying this is mint damage/error or post-mint? Still learning, so this is not an attack at you, just wanting to learn!

ADDED: Also wouldn't a "Clashed Die" be of the same coin, obverse and reverse of a nickle, but not of two different coins?

Mike

My apologizes, It is really hard to tell by the pictures you have up. I just took a quick glance at it. Yes you are correct a clashed die would be of the same coin. If the imprint is of a different coin it was something that was done by someone outside of the mint. Your nickel is nothing more than an altered coin. Here are two pictures of a "clashed die" The first one is caused by putting a stack of coins over another and placed in a press or hit with a hammer. the second is mint error when a pair of dies slams together without a planchet between them. The result is left over marks where the design from one (or both) dies transfers partially to the other. Your coin looks very similar to the second picture. Without looking at it in person that would be my best guess judging by the pictures. Hope this helps and good luck! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• clash-ok.jpg
    clash-ok.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 540
  • clash-hammer.jpg
    clash-hammer.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 553
Upvote 0
A clashed die would be from the obverse die and the reverse die striking each other without a planchet between them. Some damage would be evident on coins struck from clashed dies, this would show up most clearly on the high point of the dies,which would be the low points of the coin. You can't have two obverse dies from different denominations clashing, this is not possible. The damage on this coin is also on the high points, unlike from a clashed die. It is just damaged.

Yeah what he said :hello:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back