🥇 BANNER 1909 S VDB To Go Along With a Handful of Barbers

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hey guys! I'm a long time member and regular reader here but I don't post too often, unfortunately. Usually only when something exceptional pops out.

Being predominantly a coinshooter, this one's pretty exceptional :) 1909 S VDB that came out alongside a nice handful of oldies on a great hunt in an out-of-the-way patch of turf.

Here on the west coast we don't get a lot of the good stuff you guys get back east - colonial coppers, large cents, busts, and loads of reales. But at least we get a lot of S mints (and a few more gold coins for the lucky hunters out here).

My second 1909 S VDB ever; a little beat up, but beautiful to me. Thanks for looking!

Jayson

Attachments

• Post-07_01_2016---01.jpg
    Post-07_01_2016---01.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 777
  • Post-07_01_2016---02.jpg
    Post-07_01_2016---02.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 594
  • Post-07_01_2016---03.jpg
    Post-07_01_2016---03.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 820
Upvote 87
Congratz on banner. Looks like the starting lowest grade price, on the PCGS website for this, is $650. Not sure how yours would grade though, because they'd have to add "environmental" to it. But ironically, all the wheat lines, cheek-bone, etc... is there. And heck, I actually LOVE the green and orange! Our md'ing coin finds wouldn't be half as fun if they came out of the ground candy-apple clean, eh ? haha

Some of the barber dimes you're getting out of this site might have some value too, if you studied their grade & the charts. But I know you're a spoiled brat, and don't trifle yourself with such things, unless they're the scarcest of mints/years! :tongue3: Congratz again.

Congratulations on your first Banner :headbang: and your second 1909 S VDB!
default_speechless-smiley-040[1].gif
:notworthy:

Oh man, thanks you guys!!! [emoji4][emoji4] Super stoked. On my way to work and not much time to reply right now but I will as soon as I can. Thank you for all the wonderful comments. I need to start posting on here more!

Congrats on the 1909 S VDB. I've got three 1909 VDBs from one park, but alas, no S. Great digs!

The other finds are not too shabby either! Love the key! Congrats!

Congrats on the S VDB its in beautiful shape other than the little green that comes from being in the ground for 100 years but, as a metal detector what more could one ask for? Congrats again, Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Finally got a second at home... Thanks again for the kind comments and the banner guys, that really means a lot to me :D

As far as cleaning, all I've really done so far is some pretty stern rubbing with a wet Q-Tip. The dirt was pretty well attached, and still is; most of the orange coloration is actually dirt still stuck to the coin. But yeah, having cleaned copper and brass items before, there's that scary point where you start to lose the beautiful green patina to that rusted orange look. So I'll probably keep it as-is for now; can always clean it later.

Just for fun, here's my first one I found, about 6 years ago now, from a park in the East Bay. Looking at the pictures again (taken right when it was found) this one has pretty good details too, but unfortunately suffers from that acne common to a lot of early wheats around here :(

Attachments

• 09S-VDB.jpg
    09S-VDB.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 107
That's a awesome find! And you said it's the second one you've found...that's incredible! Thanks for sharing, bucket list Banner find for sure! Congrats and HH

BIG congrats on the Banner Jayson you have been killing it lately! hope the oldies keep coming. HH

Last edited:
Just awesome. Great post! I like the Bull Durham token too!

Very nice finds ,the 1909 is real nice as I haven't found one yet out of over 180 wheaties I have now.

I have found hundreds of wheaties but never even a 1909 one (much less a 1909S VDB).

Hey guys! I'm a long time member and regular reader here but I don't post too often, unfortunately. Usually only when something exceptional pops out.

Being predominantly a coinshooter, this one's pretty exceptional :) 1909 S VDB that came out alongside a nice handful of oldies on a great hunt in an out-of-the-way patch of turf.

Here on the west coast we don't get a lot of the good stuff you guys get back east - colonial coppers, large cents, busts, and loads of reales. But at least we get a lot of S mints (and a few more gold coins for the lucky hunters out here).

My second 1909 S VDB ever; a little beat up, but beautiful to me. Thanks for looking!

Jayson

Great find, still on my bucket list
congradulations

Great find! I have also found 2 of these, one was in a sandbox and it was in amazing condition I think a kid took it from his parents collection and lost it.

Danged... that's pretty cool. Congrats on your 6 year apart 09-S VDB finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back