1897 Barber dime! Third silver coin of the year!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After four days of temps in the teens, it finally warmed up to 36 degrees this morning. We still have at least six inches of snow on the ground, but I went metal detecting anyway. I only lasted about an hour, but I did find my third silver coin of the year. It's an 1897 Barber dime (no mint mark), which beats my oldest Barber by six years. Not a bad day!

barber 1897.JPG1897 barber back.JPG

Upvote 11
Lovely Barber! :notworthy: :icon_thumright: :hello2: Hope you had hot cider or hot toddy when you returned home! "warmed up to 36 degrees!" sums up well this extreme cold winter in northern USA, yikes. Andi

Thanks, guys! Yup, you know it's been a rough winter when you enjoy going out in 36 degree weather! But the ground is really wet right now and the conditions seem just right for pulling out silver dimes. Can't pass up ideal conditions, even if it's painful on the body (especially the fingers).

Very sweet, Congrats!

Sweet barber!!

Thanks for the great replies! I love finding Barber dimes, but I'm hoping there may be a Seated Liberty in this spot, since I've never found one. I only missed it by six years with this coin!

Great job, can't find em on the couch!

Sweet detail on your Barber dime! That was well worth the painful fingers!
I pack those hand warming packets when I get crazy and go out in the cold detecting, sometimes the detector needs it more than I do!!!

Is your ground rock hard like ours is in Mass?

Msbeepbeep, Only the first two inches of the ground is frozen at this spot. It's a very wet area with poor drainage. I think that helps to keep it from freezing too deeply. Seems like a paradox, but I've found that dry areas freeze a lot faster than spots that are always wet.

Possibly my favorite coin. Looks like you need to soak yours in a little salt water.

I am tempted to clean it up a bit, but I should probably just leave it the way it is...

wheatfinder13,

Yes, I never imagined that I'd be metal detecting in January, not to mention actually finding silver coins! I seem to be in a groove right now. Going to be around 20 degrees and sunny today, but I'm still going to give it a shot this afternoon. Hate to waste a day when things are going my way right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back