1853 seated lib. and more - Goodbye till April!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1853 seated lib. and more - Goodbye 'till April!

Went to a site of a revolutionary war battle in hopes of finding cannonball number five to go along with the four my friends dug this weekend. No dice. Not any battle relics besides a round ball.

EastCoasthunter21 and I ran all over the hill like mountain goats on a backbreaking hunt. I dig score an exquisite seated quarter and a few bits and bobs. I'm curious to the age of the bent oval gold-faced cuff link. Any guesses is welcome but I'm suspecting earlier 19th century. Enjoy! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549354.433838.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549364.256607.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549372.442187.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549385.965626.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549396.873300.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549407.909617.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452549417.464860.jpg

Enjoy. This is probably my last post until April. I have a major exam approaching and the ground is freezing, so I'm signing off with hunts. Good luck and happy hunting

Steve

Upvote 32
Went to a site of a revolutionary war battle in hopes of finding cannonball number five to go along with the four my friends dug this weekend. No dice. Not any battle relics besides a round ball.

EastCoasthunter21 and I ran all over the hill like mountain goats on a backbreaking hunt. I dig score an exquisite seated quarter and a few bits and bobs. I'm curious to the age of the bent oval gold-faced cuff link. Any guesses is welcome but I'm suspecting earlier 19th century. Enjoy!View attachment 1259095View attachment 1259096View attachment 1259097View attachment 1259098View attachment 1259099View attachment 1259100View attachment 1259101

Enjoy. This is probably my last post until April. I have a major exam approaching and the ground is freezing, so I'm signing off with hunts. Good luck and happy hunting

Steve

Come south still warmer haha![emoji41]

wonderful finds, i hunt the woods in the winter,the pines especially.watch out for the jersey devil tho:dontknow:

Excellent Seated Quarter. That's still a Bucket lister for me.
I noticed some of the ground in a NYC park was a little frozen on my last hunt. I'm going to keep hunting until the dirt is frozen solid.
Good luck with the exam and congrats on your finds.

Great looking Seated Steve. I also like the Fire Dept. button. You finished her off nice - until April.
Thanks for looking. I'm still trying to figure the button age but it may date to the beginning of the New York Fire Department after the fires caused by the draft riots around 1863.
Awesome seated steve!, great condition
Thanks Chris. I was so expecting a Washington quarter considering it was only 4" down.
That's a pretty cool seated quarter, Type 2, only minted in 1853. You sure do pull the good stuff every time you get out. I guess the freezing temps are finally getting to the East Coast. I am pulling batteries tonight and cleaning the Detectors.
It's a sad time hanging up the detectors. There may be more hunts though the winter but I have to for my big test. I'll be on here posting, just not hunting;)
Nice looking seated. Who knows we may get a January thaw and you will get out again even with exams coming up.
Thanks. I have put off the exam for 9 months for hunting season. Any thaw will be without regard for me....but I will be wistfully daydreaming during said thaws;)
Great finds! Love the fire dept thing. Good luck with your "exam"

HH, Relic Nut
Thanks buddy. It's a three day test and a do-or-die kind of thing. Thanks for the "good luck!"

Great looking piece of silver to end the season off, best of luck on the exams.

Hey Thanks Jim. I figure I'll end on a high note and before the ground is pissing me off. Thanks for the well wishes. If I pass this exam I'll be promoted to ship captain. Think Big ship!

Awesome finds- good luck on the exam!:4leafclover::4leafclover:

1853 seated lib. and more - Goodbye 'till April!

Nice quarter, and cuff link, no idea on age, but the back might give more clues ?

I've been done since Dec. 26
I'll post a pic when I get home today of the cuff link back. Sorry to hear about the season ending but it gives the colonial artifacts a chance to grow back and replenish;)
You have ended this hunting season with another awesome coin. Now go and polish that horseshoe you always carry with you.
It def was the coin to end the season with. I'm hanging up the horseshoe as well as the detector. Thanks for looking.
Well, if it has to be the last hunt, I can think of a lot worse ways to go out!

Congrats and good luck on those exams!
Thanks bud. This should be the last exam I'll ever take because there is no higher exam.
Beautiful finds Scraps. Good luck on your exams.

Thanks Dave. I haven't taken an exam since college 20 years ago. I'll need all the luck I can muster!

Thanks bud. This should be the last exam I'll ever take because there is no higher exam.

Thanks Dave. I haven't taken an exam since college 20 years ago. I'll need all the luck I can muster!

Reminds me of my last exam. After being in the business I was in for near 40 years, my last employer made it a requirement to be "certified". LOL

I told him, if this place has become a place where a piece of paper has become more important than being able to demonstrate the skills self-proclaimed. Then, it has become a place with which I do not want to be associated. He laughed, said yeah that's right! But, then he said if I set a bad example he'd kick me in the butt and throw me out! I said, OH! How politically correct!!! LOL (we were best of friends!)

I took the test cuz it helped to set the precedent he wanted to instill for the future. He & I knew I was retiring soon. Thing is, when I got done taking the test, (BTB, without cracking a single book), the teacher told me, you've forgotten more about this business than I ever knew! LOL

Good luck on your test, if it's one you can study for, I wouldn't recommend my method. ;)

Nice Scrappy nice! I look forward to seeing you after the "hibernation".

Well done man :thumbsup: You amaze me with the quality of finds you consistently pull. You always find that old silver and that seated looks awesome. As for the cuff link, is there anything on the back? Based on the engraving and script on the dozen or so Love Tokens I have, I would guess that cuff link is mid to late 1800's. At least that's what I would think if I dug it. ha

Great start to your year. Looking forward to seeing what you find when it thaws out in April. Good luck on that exam.

Brad

Congrats on some really nice finds! It may be a long few months but I know you'll have even better digs when the weather clears!!

Come south still warmer haha![emoji41]
Sure! Just need an excuse!
wonderful finds, i hunt the woods in the winter,the pines especially.watch out for the jersey devil tho:dontknow:
Haha! Yep, I heard about that thing. I'm glad he's south of me. They don't cross interstate 195 I hear
Excellent Seated Quarter. That's still a Bucket lister for me.
I noticed some of the ground in a NYC park was a little frozen on my last hunt. I'm going to keep hunting until the dirt is frozen solid.
Good luck with the exam and congrats on your finds.
Thx for looking. The ground was frozen the other day, thawed and is now freezing again as we speak. Sigh...
Awesome finds- good luck on the exam!:4leafclover::4leafclover:

Hey thanks for looking and for the good luck. Cheers

Hey Thanks Jim. I figure I'll end on a high note and before the ground is pissing me off. Thanks for the well wishes. If I pass this exam I'll be promoted to ship captain. Think Big ship!

What tonnage class would you be in? What ever it is all the best." Oh Captain Oh Captain" :thumbsup:

The thing I like about that style is the "rays" on the back side of it. It looks like it has really great detail too! Congratz man!

Steve
Good luck on the Exam,if you do as well as you find sites/relics....you`ll pass !
Gary
Thanks for the vote of confidence Gary. Cheers!
Nice Scrappy nice! I look forward to seeing you after the "hibernation".
Same here, I'm looking forward to your yearly trek north!
Well done man :thumbsup: You amaze me with the quality of finds you consistently pull. You always find that old silver and that seated looks awesome. As for the cuff link, is there anything on the back? Based on the engraving and script on the dozen or so Love Tokens I have, I would guess that cuff link is mid to late 1800's. At least that's what I would think if I dug it. ha

Great start to your year. Looking forward to seeing what you find when it thaws out in April. Good luck on that exam.

Brad
thanks for looking Brad. Nothing is on the back of the cuff link but it did have a braised shank which just makes it 1850's or perhaps earlier. I can red agree about your aging of the link. Thanks for the good luck and hopefully I'll have something to show again come thaw.

Congrats on some really nice finds! It may be a long few months but I know you'll have even better digs when the weather clears!!
SMITTYMAN!!! There you are!!! Hey bud thanks for looking and be sure to come north again with Tom in the spring. Looking forward

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back