creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up this bottle yesterday from the corner of an old cellar. I believe it might be a medicine bottle but I'm not sure. I don't know if my eyes are just playing tricks on me but there seems to be something embossed on it. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3272.jpeg
    IMG_3272.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3273.jpeg
    IMG_3273.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
Upvote 16
I dug up this bottle yesterday from the corner of an old cellar. I believe it might be a medicine bottle but I'm not sure. I don't know if my eyes are just playing tricks on me but there seems to be something embossed on it. Any help is appreciated!
That is a beautiful looking bottle.
Congrats 👏
Early 1800s possible even older.
Can you take a picture of it holding it up to the natural light, or have the sun on the otherside.
Need show off its inner beauty.

That is a awesome bottle,great find It definitely looks really old definitely 1800 really nice.

Definitely an oldie right there. That black glass had a Fair bit of iron slag in it which also made it tougher to break. It also contributed to that color which is good at shielding the contents from a lot of sunlight.

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Definitely an oldie right there. That black glass had a Fair bit of iron slag in it which also made it tougher to break. It also contributed to that color which is good at shielding the contents from a lot of sunlight.
Just to be a stickler here the bottle isn't a typical black glass.
It falls into an earlier colour which dates earlier
These 2 photos show the correct colour
Screen Shot 2024-06-13 at 7.47.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-06-13 at 7.48.42 AM.png

It's in the brown/amber range of colour
one can get a dating range also from the colour

The offset pontil scar is another indication of an early hand blown bottle.
I hope when @Harry Pristis pops back on the forum he can provide some insight into what he knows about the bottle.
He certainly knows his early glass.

That is a beautiful looking bottle.
Congrats 👏
Early 1800s possible even older.
Can you take a picture of it holding it up to the natural light, or have the sun on the otherside.
Need show off its inner beauty.
I had to wait for a sunny day👍

Attachments

• IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 29
Thanks!

Just to be a stickler here the bottle isn't a typical black glass.
It falls into an earlier colour which dates earlier
These 2 photos show the correct colour
View attachment 2153890View attachment 2153891
It's in the brown/amber range of colour
one can get a dating range also from the colour

The offset pontil scar is another indication of an early hand blown bottle.
I hope when @Harry Pristis pops back on the forum he can provide some insight into what he knows about the bottle.
He certainly knows his early glass.

Thanks for the great information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back