1794 Half Cent!

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today and hunted around an 1840’s house that sits on the burned foundation of a much earlier house. About ten minutes after I walked into the front yard I got an iffy signal and I decided to dig it. There was a nail in the hole and I thought that was it, but when I checked the hole again something good was still in the there. After checking again, I found this 1794 half cent, this is the oldest US coin I’ve ever found, it was a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpeg
    IMG_3052.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 92
Wow what an amazing find. George Washington was president when that was minted.

Congratulations

I haven't been posting much recently, what happened to voting for Banner? That is a Banner find in my book
Thank you I appreciate that! I’m not sure about Banner Finds, I’ve never gotten one, I think it has to do with how many likes the item gets. Even if it doesn’t get Banner, I appreciate your thinking it deserves one.

I got out today and hunted around an 1840’s house that sits on the burned foundation of a much earlier house. About ten minutes after I walked into the front yard I got an iffy signal and I decided to dig it. There was a nail in the hole and I thought that was it, but when I checked the hole again something good was still in the there. After checking again, I found this 1794 half cent, this is the oldest US coin I’ve ever found, it was a great day!
Amazing. Really nice find.

Great find! Looks like it might be the Cohen-4 die marriage based on the digits in the date. The difference between C4a and C4b is the size of the edge letters, so you should examine the edge and do some research. C4b (large edge letters) is quite rare and fetches a lot more money. Congrats either way!
Thanks for the information, but unfortunately I can’t make out any detail on the rim.

Congrats! Wonderful condition too!

Congrats,

The oldest one for you is coming, keep detecting.

Awesome coin, congrats

Wow, congratulations!

Wow, what a exciting find for sure! I think that's the earliest US half cent I have seen anyone find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back