177+++ Bullets today! YES IN ONE DAY...

L

lovedigging

I really don't know where to start, except to say WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY! Went back to the spot where I dug 106 relics in a 10' spot last week. This time I took my brother so he could share some of the fun with me. We had a blast today! We got started at 6:30 am, and by 9:30 am we had dug 75 bullets between us. At that point, I said "we should go for 100" and he agreed. We were very fortunate to find a couple of really hot spots in this location and the numbers just kept climbing. At the end of an 8 hour day of digging, I had 103 bullets, an eagle breast plate, a NY button, and quite a few pieces of melted lead. My brother, David, had 74 bullets, an eagle button, and also quite a few pieces of melted lead. I guess that horseshoe we found brought us a lot of luck! Needless to say my back is killing me, but after a day like this it was well worth the effort. I don't think we'll ever be able to top this day..... but we'll be back out there trying soon!
The first picture is of our combined efforts shortly after we dug them. The other 2 are my finds after I cleaned them up. Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,565
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 3,572
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,551
Upvote 0
thats awsome I cant wait to find my first one. good luck your next trip out.

Yep, what you have there is the nose piece to a Read/Parrott Shell :wink: When I get home from work I can post a picture of what the whole shell looks like as I have one...I also have some fragments so you can see it if you would like...It is a nice find to find, especially with the brassParrott Percussion fuze body still in it :wink:

I love looking at the relics you guys dig there in VA, but this post blows away most of the others!

Congratulations on a TREMENDOUS day!

When we were detecting the fallout from a 19th century range we were finding tons of enfield,snider, & martini-henry bullets. We too said we should try for 100 in a day. After 5 hours we went home thinking we had 100 but when cleaned & counted we only made 98. Never did manage 100 day but did end up with nearly 700 bullets.

Nice job 8) 8)

Speechless WOW that was a incredible day! Congrats to you and your brother. you guys will talk about that day for life. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
way to go

Hutch

:wav: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :occasion18: :occasion18: :occasion18: :occasion18: :blob10: :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob9:

The best day I ever had was 22 bullets....and I thought that was a good day! Congrats on a sweet site...and awesome day of hunting that only few ever experience!

BANNER

You guys know your game, but a lot of the newbies who browse Tnet do not, so Mean Old Man Rusted is going to post it here for any newbies who do not already know. A lot of newcomers browse Tnet... and head straight for the popular threads... and they will follow the example set by us old hands here, so (again) for the benefit of newcomers:

Document your finds... "where found" is most important, with as much detail as possible. Don't tell us here on Tnet (someone will follow you to your site) or anyone else, but write it down. Was it on the edge of a field, inside a bend in the creek? 50 paces and 45 degrees northwest of a major landmark? You get the idea.

Keep all the bullets together with the other relics. Don't break up that collection for love or money.

Don't mix them up with finds from other sites, even if it's to make a display.

Take detailed site photos and keep them with the relics. In duplicate.

Leave detailed info explaining to your family members (or whoever ends up with the collection) where it came from and who (probably) dropped these relics. Otherwise, just one generation later, you get stories made up... not out of malice, but because people simply forget... like "yeah I think my daddy found these in an attic and they was dropped by a revolutionary war captain". Nope, head that off at the pass. This is history, and now you own it. Documentation. Four yankee encampents, near each other? Great, record it on a sheet and laminate that sheet. Better yet, two or three sheets, so they don't get separated.....

Beautiful finds, Banner material in my opinion (was out doing other things when this thread was first posted, so I don't know if it made it or not). Sorry to clutter up your great thread with a lecture, but since you guys are clearly skilled relic hunters, I reckon you'll appreciate just tryin' to help the newbs who come to pay homage to the pure awesomeness of your finds. :icon_thumright:

Peace be with you.
Rusted

P.S. I know this is an old thread, but it is still coming back to the top of the list! And with 4500+ views, I reckon it is one of the more popular ones on Tnet...... and don't forget all the folks who come in from search engines....... :thumbsup:

I bet you were very sick of digging them by the end of the day. :wink:

I dug 180 enfields one day about 5-6 years ago.

tcooper1 said:
I really don't know where to start, except to say WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY! Went back to the spot where I dug 106 relics in a 10' spot last week. This time I took my brother so he could share some of the fun with me. We had a blast today! We got started at 6:30 am, and by 9:30 am we had dug 75 bullets between us. At that point, I said "we should go for 100" and he agreed. We were very fortunate to find a couple of really hot spots in this location and the numbers just kept climbing. At the end of an 8 hour day of digging, I had 103 bullets, an eagle breast plate, a NY button, and quite a few pieces of melted lead. My brother, David, had 74 bullets, an eagle button, and also quite a few pieces of melted lead. I guess that horseshoe we found brought us a lot of luck! Needless to say my back is killing me, but after a day like this it was well worth the effort. I don't think we'll ever be able to top this day..... but we'll be back out there trying soon!
The first picture is of our combined efforts shortly after we dug them. The other 2 are my finds after I cleaned them up. Hope you enjoy!

Nice digs!!! Getting harder and harder to find spots like that in Northern Virginia!

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back