177+++ Bullets today! YES IN ONE DAY...

L

lovedigging

I really don't know where to start, except to say WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY! Went back to the spot where I dug 106 relics in a 10' spot last week. This time I took my brother so he could share some of the fun with me. We had a blast today! We got started at 6:30 am, and by 9:30 am we had dug 75 bullets between us. At that point, I said "we should go for 100" and he agreed. We were very fortunate to find a couple of really hot spots in this location and the numbers just kept climbing. At the end of an 8 hour day of digging, I had 103 bullets, an eagle breast plate, a NY button, and quite a few pieces of melted lead. My brother, David, had 74 bullets, an eagle button, and also quite a few pieces of melted lead. I guess that horseshoe we found brought us a lot of luck! Needless to say my back is killing me, but after a day like this it was well worth the effort. I don't think we'll ever be able to top this day..... but we'll be back out there trying soon!
The first picture is of our combined efforts shortly after we dug them. The other 2 are my finds after I cleaned them up. Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,565
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 3,572
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,551
Upvote 0
I_Dig_NYC said:
WOW that is un'freakin'believable !!

That must have been a heck of a battle.

Congrats. :thumbsup:
It was pretty amazing... The stuff was concentrated in four small areas so were sure it was campsites, Lot's of melted lead and 106 finds in a ten foot circle last week. I just hope we can find a couple more, Thanks for your reply....

I thought I read it wrong outstanding how much is each bullet worth out of interest

strike it rich said:
I thought I read it wrong outstanding how much is each bullet worth out of interest
I've never sold any and Not really sure what they are worth because I would never sell my civil war relics, I love digging and each bullet I dig is a part of history. I really think that no matter how many I dig I'll alway's get the same feeling as I did when I dug my first last July. Sorry I didn't answer your question but thanks for the reply...

That ain't no battle site. That's a camp. All that melted campfire lead and DROPPED bullets. And it looks like you all found the holy grail of Relic hunting--a VIRGIN camp. Make sure you aren't followed to the spot--and don't tell a soul ANYTHING about its location until it is worked out (which will take YEARS).

I am VERY happy for you, and excited to see what comes up next.

Regards,

Buckleboy

WOW!!! What a spot! Hope to see more relics from this site!
HH
Baggins

That is incredible! I would definitely feel that for the next several days!

Good Job Bud. I see some Gardners, Sharps, Williams Cleaners and looks like some Spencers too, very wide variety. You have definitely stumbled onto a virgin site. Enjoy it because they are FEW and FAR between these days! The last virgin spot that I found was over two years ago and it produced probably over 500 bullets. :thumbsup:

P.S. Is this around the same spot where your brother dug the Sword Belt Plate?

{Sentinel} said:
Good Job Bud. I see some Gardners, Sharps, Williams Cleaners and looks like some Spencers too, very wide variety. You have definitely stumbled onto a virgin site. Enjoy it because they are FEW and FAR between these days! The last virgin spot that I found was over two years ago and it produced probably over 500 bullets. :thumbsup:

Sentinel,
We did really good here but I would definitely say it was NOT a virgin site. One of the ways that I found most of my bullets was to look for dig holes. At one time I hit the area around 3 different dig holes and came up with another 15 bullets. Someone had dug a few things but certainly missed a LOT of stuff!!! We were both using the DFX, we started out using the "super 12" but quickly switched to the stock coil. MOST of the signals were not "good" signals at all. Usually if you could get a repeatable signal - no matter how "bad", you better dig!!!! Most bullets would read negative (for the whites users) until you broke the ground.

It was NOT near the other spot he had been hunting for quite a while. Hopefully he will get back there and finish cleaning that one out soon.

I've been applying the cortizone all day, and scratching, and looking for ticks every time I feel the faintest little thing!!!! But it was worth it :thumbsup:

That's an a$$ load of bullets I can only wish to find a spot like that. There are a whole lot of "tics" where I work and they come in all shapes and sizes...

dcooper1 said:
{Sentinel} said:

Sentinel,
We did really good here but I would definitely say it was NOT a virgin site. One of the ways that I found most of my bullets was to look for dig holes. At one time I hit the area around 3 different dig holes and came up with another 15 bullets. Someone had dug a few things but certainly missed a LOT of stuff!!! We were both using the DFX, we started out using the "super 12" but quickly switched to the stock coil. MOST of the signals were not "good" signals at all. Usually if you could get a repeatable signal - no matter how "bad", you better dig!!!! Most bullets would read negative (for the whites users) until you broke the ground.

It was NOT near the other spot he had been hunting for quite a while. Hopefully he will get back there and finish cleaning that one out soon.

I've been applying the cortizone all day, and scratching, and looking for ticks every time I feel the faintest little thing!!!! But it was worth it :thumbsup:

If that wasn't a virgin site than the fool who was diggin it before was a nimrod!!! ;D :D Anyone who can leave that many bullets in the ground must've not known what they were doing. Even if it was hit before, it has not been hit HARD at all. EIther way, it is a very nice haul bud. :wink:

P.S. I have been in ground where all the brass, all the lead, zinc, etc ALL sounded like Iron. The ring tail sharps that I dug last month in Culpeper sounded like that.
Are you digging in HOT Soil?? Also, in the pic, what is the object all the way to the right an in the middle? It looks like either the top end of a Read or Parrott or a Fuse Igniter that the Artillery used...Can't really tell from the pic though

Congrtulations on making the banner up top!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very well deserved.

Way to go guys!!! An amazing post for sure, and a well deserved banner. :thumbsup:
I can't imagine how heavy your pouches were with that haul. :o
Congrats on a SUPER hunt. Hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more from that spot soon. :wink:
-MM-

INCREDABLE!!! I have never found any Civl War artifacts. This makes me want to move south! Thanks for showing us, and good luck!

{Sentinel} said:
dcooper1 said:
{Sentinel} said:

Sentinel,

If that wasn't a virgin site than the fool who was diggin it before was a nimrod!!! ;D :D Anyone who can leave that many bullets in the ground must've not known what they were doing. Even if it was hit before, it has not been hit HARD at all. EIther way, it is a very nice haul bud. :wink:

P.S. I have been in ground where all the brass, all the lead, zinc, etc ALL sounded like Iron. The ring tail sharps that I dug last month in Culpeper sounded like that.
Are you digging in HOT Soil?? Also, in the pic, what is the object all the way to the right an in the middle? It looks like either the top end of a Read or Parrott or a Fuse Igniter that the Artillery used...Can't really tell from the pic though
Sentinel, My brother called and said you had a question on one of the pieces I found, I took some pictures so I do hope you can fill me in on what it is. Thanks, TCooper

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,629
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,604
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,604
I'm still shaking my head....I couldn't imagine,at least not these day's.You have one hell of a spot there.You'll be there for a while it look's like.Beautiful Job to the Both of Ya :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Love It!!!

Cooper,

Is that a shell fragment with part of the lead sabot attached?

BuckleBoy said:
Cooper,

Is that a shell fragment with part of the lead sabot attached?
BuckleBoy, Not really sure what it is, I was hoping someone could help me I.D this piece. I just measured it and it's 2.25 inches round. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back