🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 1700's Copper Cross

sonnyjam

Jan 18, 2009
I was hoping someone could give me some insight on this cross I found. I've found many 1700's items at the same site. Thank you!

IMG_4721.jpg
IMG_4722.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg

Really nice artifact. I recommend doing a Google image search on the last pic. I found a similar cross but unable to post the pic and link while using a tablet.

Upvote 1
Really nice artifact. I recommend doing a Google image search on the last pic. I found a similar cross but unable to post the pic and link while using a tablet.

I tried and only came up with thus example.

Screenshot_20240924_030952_Bixby Vision.jpg
Screenshot_20240924_031023_Samsung Internet.jpg

Upvote 0
I believe it may be monastic.
The missing clues (obviously) are tied to identifying the bottom design and the design/writing below the dove.
INRI would be typical for a Christian cross, but I’m not seeing that.
Where was it found? USA?

Upvote 1
The dove is referred to as a 'descending dove' and has biblical reference.
In Luke 3:21-22 is written (in some versions):

"After all the people were baptized, Jesus was baptized. As he was praying, the sky opened up and the Holy Spirit, like a dove descending, came down on him. And along with the Spirit, a voice: “You are my Son, chosen and marked by my love, pride of my life.”

The cross has an additional, and smaller, crossbar. As such, it is called a patriarchal cross.
That crossbar usually has the inscription INRI. (Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews).
Don in SoCal

Upvote 4
Looks old for sure. A rosary I guess with a profile of Christ on the right and maybe a pope on the left.
Neat piece!

My first thought was "fur trade item" as it isn't a high-quality piece. Any evidence of silver wash on it?

You can see the marks where the Corpus Christi was attached at one time. I'd go back and hunt for that...

The images around the cross are sometimes the four evangelists or their associated image - Mark the King, Lion; Luke the lowly Servant, Ox; Matthew the Angel; and John the Eagle. They could also represent the stations of the cross

Sadly, the pics are not high enough resolution to get much detail.

Where was it found? Northern USA?

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back